Pulp Stargate!

JakSpade

So, who has a copy of Pulp Hero and thought about running a Pulp Stargate game?

For you Stargate fans, if you have seen the episode Torment of Tantalus(?) you know that the Stargate program began in the 30s, after the gate was discovered in the desert in Egypt. The scientists actually thought that the device might actually be a gateway somewhere, and were able to power it up and get a stable wormhole a couple of times. The scientist Earnest Littlefield was the first human from Earth in thousands of years to leave the planet.

But what happened if they discovered that after they "lost" Earnest, and they packed the gate away, Earnest was able to decipher the Ancient writings and create a wormhole back to Earth. The Stargate program could have began in the early 40s. Early aviators could be exploring the galaxy and securing alien technology for the good of America...

Jak

Re: Pulp Stargate!

Stargate: Degrassi

On ABCFamily, starring Dakota Fanning and Rory Culkin.

Stargate: Sesame Street

Your local PBS, or perhaps Nickelodean. Starring Selma Blair and Mark Hamill, and voices by Frank Oz and Jim Carey. Regular guest star Morgan Freeman.

Stargate: Playboy Mansion

Fox, or maybe Cinemax late night. Starring...well, who cares?

The possibilities are endless.

I wouldn't say endless...

Stargate: The Blue Collar Years, on WB. starring Randy Quaid and Diedrich Bader.

Survivor: Stargate, on Fox. Sixteen cast members are sent to a variety of worlds with nothing more than the clothes on their backs. They must complete a variety of trials and tests, with regular voting to eliminate one member per episode. The eliminated member doesn't get to come back through the Stargate.

The Real Stargate, MTV. "This is the true story of seven strangers, picked to be thrust through a galactic wormhole and have their lives taped, and find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting REAL. The Real Stargate World!"

Stargate: The Game Show, Game Show Network. Hosted by Chuck Woolery, four contestants answer questions and solve puzzles to try and be the first to unlock the Stargate's address. Consolation prizes include Goa'uld symbiotes and having your head shaved and a funky hood ornament welded to your forehead.

Survivor: Stargate, on Fox. Sixteen cast members are sent to a variety of worlds with nothing more than the clothes on their backs. They must complete a variety of trials and tests, with regular voting to eliminate one member per episode. The eliminated member doesn't get to come back through the Stargate.

Nah the winner is allowed to come back to earth, the loosers are tossed through the gate after random sygils are dialed in.

Nah the winner is allowed to come back to earth' date=' the loosers are tossed through the gate after random sygils are dialed in.[/quote']

No, no, no. The guy (or gal) who gets "voted off the planet" has to STAND IN FRONT OF THE GATE when it activates.

Ker-whoosh! Nothing but smoking boots left....

Plus:

Stargate: Voyager -- An assortment of SG personnel and NID creeps get stranded on a planet halfway across the galaxy, and the only guy who knew how to dial Earth (or any other known world) is dead. They have to try to find their way home....

Ha Ha Ha.... You guys suck! :idjit:

The Stargate universe is perfect for pulp!

Overconfident Masterminds!

Scores and scores of totally loyal minions!

Weird science gadgets!

Alien civilizations from far far away!

Lots and lots of space exploration!

Can you save the world from the invasion of the evil Goa'uld?

:thumbup: Pulpy goodness!

Jak

I certainly can't see "Queer as Stargate" ever happening ;-p

Hmm, do you guys get Queer as Folk? If you don't that isn't going to be nearly as funny...

Anyhow, yeah - Stargate is pulp, but at a low volume. If you want high volume pulp - you want Farscape, or the Fifth Element.

There's actually a whole thread lost in the bowels of RPG.net about a pulp version of Stargate. I think it involved Nikola Tesla leading the project and Doc Savage as head of the exploratory team. The Nazis had a whole gate of their own' date=' natch.[/quote']

Yeah, there's a whole thread about the Nazis finding the Antarctic gate and using it to transport them to another planet after the war.

Nazi + Goa'uld = nasty business... :) and very pulpy... :)

Jak

Hey Plupsters,

I've begun work on Pulp Hero Stargate... It's still in the introduction stages, and I don't have any Hero System stats yet, but check out what I've got so far...

Pulp Hero Stargate

Unfortunately, right now it's a MS Word document. I can't get it set to PDF until I make one at work.

Happy Pulping!

Jak

HAHA. Found the movie on SPIKE few minutes ago and watching the end. (I gots to watch Family Guy). Does have a pulpy feel to it.

Hmm, Stargate: Family Guy, what happens when Stewie joins forces with the Gou'ald. And ups his goals to galactic domination?

I always wanted one of those hand staff blaster thingys, and after a few modifications (cough, cough, Megascale) that bad boy would be fun to play with.:doi:

And why do I get the feeling the Ra's last word was "####":D

Stargate: Star Wars. With Gou'ald possessed Ewoks this'll be a horror:eek:

Stargate: Star Trek: Looks like it aint just the Klingons that the Feds have to worry about now. Can a Borg assimilate a Gou'ald. Will Kirk bend his @$$ around the Prime Directive yet again to save the natives. Will McCoy say "Damnit I am a doctor not pyramid builder". And since Dr. Jackson got the woman, I think it fair that it is McCoy's turn instead Kirk. Or since Uhura was the communications officer.......uh, hey umm, nevermind.:o

Stargate: MacGuyver (yeah, you know you've thought about this one.) Watch while MacGuyver makes a new portal out of hoola hoop, a hairpin, and a loaf of bread.:drink:

Stargate: A-Team. B.A. pities the foo. Murdock talks to aliens (course this time they are real). Hannibal says "I love it when a plan comes together" while the Gou'ald infest him.:straight: You know typical A-team episode.

Umm, I've ran of ideas currently.

Iron Chefgate -- Using a stargate set to an unknown place, cooks have to go in, catch something, and make several meals out of it. The team with the fewest fatalities (including tasters :sick: ) wins.

Stargate Springfield -- Homer gets a Gou'ald and sets about conquering every brewery and donut shop on the planet. Eventually the Gou'ald kills itself rather than submit to the indignity.

Stargate Trading Spaces -- Trading Spaces, now with planets. This won't end well.

Little House on the Stargate: When the weekly tornado comes in and destroys the Ingalls' house. Laura finds a strange, large, ring-like object with wierd symbols. Will she figure out how to use it?

Stargate: Oz (hmm, I could go 2 ways with this) 1) Dorothy falls into a stargate and encounters talking creatures, and evil witches. 2) What happens when a Gou'ald goes to prison:nonp:

Stargate of the Apes: Cornelius finds a strange gateway in the Forbidden Zone, Dr Zaius hides this discovery from the rest of Ape City.....

I think mine are getting lamer.....oh well, still fun.:thumbup:

Oh and thanks to just reading a certain thread on Champions.

Stargate: Cable. What happens when Liefeld's favorite creation stumbles upon the Gou'ald. How will Liefeld manage to screw up the Gou'ald's anatomy.

Survivor: Stargate' date=' on Fox. Sixteen cast members are sent to a variety of worlds with nothing more than the clothes on their backs. They must complete a variety of trials and tests, with regular voting to eliminate one member per episode. The eliminated member doesn't get to come back through the Stargate.[/quote']

ObSF: Robert Heinlein's "Tunnel in the Sky". A high school survival class was out on a week-long class trip (graduation exercise? final exam?), when a nearby supernova screwed up local spacetime. Earth's gate couldn't find them until 2 or 3 years later.

Stargate: Aliens.

Replace the Replicators with the Aliens, or better yet, the Replicators begin to harvest the Aliens on various human occupied worlds. When they come in contact with the Goa'uld, WATCH OUT!

Daniel Jackson: *yawn* Hey, what's this in my stomach... and what's this in the back of my neck...

Jack O'neill: Aw crap.

Stargate: Aliens vs Predator.

Not only did they find the Predator temple, but the Antarctic gate in Antactica. The Predators like hunting Jaffa as much as they like hunting humans. If the Goa'uld ever find the Preadator home world (which doesn't have a Stargate), the war is on!

Jak

:P

I'm going to spend some time tonight working on a Goa'uld symbiote template, along with the Prem'tah (larval Goa'uld) templates for Jaffa. So far, here's some ideas that I have for them...

Adult Goa'uld

Control Host: The main power of the symbiote, once it has made contact with the host and borrowed into the body, is a Transformation Attack, based on ECV, that transforms the host into an automaton, one which the symbiote can control, much like a computer controls a robot. The symbiote will have a Mind link with the body, giving it total control, but it will have to be in touch contact with the body. I chose 'Based on ECV' so that the host can resist, and characters can purchase abilities that keep the symbiote from controlling it.

Physical Abilities: The symbiote itself will not have much (a 1 Str, 15 Dex, 5 Con, 23 Int, etc), but it will have some special abilities. One will be 1" of Leaping, since they have the ability to strike and attack a possible host. The will have a good amount of Life Support (long life, water breathing, immunity to disease, etc). Another ability will be a 1d6 Hand Killing Attack (burrowing power) which will allow the symbiote to enter the body.

Healing Abilities: Once the symbiote is inside the body automaton, it will have the ability to pass it's disease and harsh environment immunities to the host, along with a 1Body Regeneration (per hour/two hours), and perhaps a bonus to CON.

Personality, Minons, etc: Once the symbiote has taken over the body, it will be a full fledge character, with disads (Overconfident), ability to use alien technology (use Goa'uld tech with the naquadah in it's blood), Eidetic Memory, and a few other advantages. The will have minions if they are a specifically powerful System Lord, along with bases and loads of equipment.

Larval Goa'uld

The larval Goa'uld will have all the immunity and regeneration capabilities, but will lack even the most adult mind. I am thinking of maybe writing this up instead as an IIF focus for the extra health and healing.

Anybody got any other ideas?

Jak

• 2 weeks later...

Nazi Goa'ulds.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Now, how can I work that into my pulp campaign....

Especially if you ignore certain elements of movie and series. I'd personally want to make space travel a WHOLE lot slower. This means that having Nazi Gou'ald is certainly a valid method of invading a planet as compared to out-and-out pyramid-ship invasion.

Particularly if you get a nice manipulative system lord like Ba'al: he impresses the heck outta Hitler with his technology, showing just the barest minimum. Shares some, says: "We want to have dealings with Earth, but only once the Reich rules the world, as we are only willing to deal with the Aryans, as they are the only ones worthy to deal with us."

Send a couple of lieutenants to 'help' them with, say, planning. Pretend to be advisory only. Infect key cabinet members. Prolly leave the real big names alone for now, as that leads to potentially being found out. But the end plan? Ten, fifteen years down the track, Hitler's in charge of the world, and a goa'uld! Ba'al rules earth.

System lords live for thousands of years, why can't they be patient? :) If this plan fails, he can always just nuke it from orbit to be sure, then move in and scoop up the survivors.

And bang, you have nazi goa'uld, plus humans, all as bad guys!

(In a game, I'd prolly make my system lords and jaf'fa a tad smarter, too)