Is a Jedi reasonable in a Marvel Avengers campaign?

Mark Rand

Re: Is a Jedi reasonable in a Marvel Avengers campaign?

To have a true Jedi you must have Force. This means the introduction of an expansive and probably new religious factor into your game as well as a tremendous power reachable by all who have the proper faith and training.

A concept as large as the Force that is accessible to just one being is unrealistic.

He may have a laser sword, TK and other tricks that simulate a Jedi’s more obvious powers, but he’s not a real Jedi without Force.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working on a Marvel Avengers campaign that went AU just before the timeslide arc. I'm considering using a Jedi NPC either as a member of the team or as someone they may know.

Origin one: He was playing with a toy lightsaber when, through some accident, the saber became real and he became a real Jedi. possibly thinking he was one from one of the movies, stories, or comic books. After he became himself again, his powers remained. The saber may or may not still work. He has the memories from the time he was a Jedi, but still has to relearn how to use his powers.

Origin two: He's the offspring of one or more human Jedi that either crash-landed on Earth years ago or came to Earth to escape the Empire. He was trained as a Jedi and has a lightsaber. He has access to the ship, which is kept in a remote location, and, if there are such agencies, knows about the ones that keep an eye on aliens on Earth.

Is such a character reasonable in the campaign? If so, which origin is better?

OK, in my universe, "The Force" is a distinctive Sx, simular to but different from psionics, chi, and cosmic/universal energy. So a Jedi in my campagine would be an acrobatic martial artist with some enhanced senses, probably a multipower of "mind tricks" (some tk, superleaping, mind control, levels to stealth, extra DCV), and a strict code of conduct. I think a character like that could well be integrated in the Avengers. Mantis leaps to mind, and I don't know if Iron Fist has ever been a Avenger but he would not be out of place.

Now the question is, is a Jedi a Jedi without a lightsaber? If not, you then have to decide what a lightsaber is. Start with Sx, is this advanced tech, or a manifestation of the Force? In the movies it did not seem one had to be a force sensitive to use a lightsaber (but in the EU one did have to be a force sensitive to build one), so I would make it a universal focus independent from any other Force powers.

So if a tech device, did he invent it? Is he the First Jedi? Was he given it/given instructions on making it by his mentor, and thus he is one of a long line of Jedi? Is it an alien/mystic artifact he found and felt an affinity to and adopted to his Jedi philosophy? Plot seeds in each.

As has been mentioned above, when a lightsaber was pulled in the movies someone ended up dead or mamed. In a four collor campagine I would have "settings" so it could be used to missile deflect / block without doing damage (Force Wall, RSR perhapse). hanging out with individuals who have CVK I might even put in a STUN only/NND setting. Not in keeping with the source material, may or may not be approperate for the campagine.

OK, in my universe, "The Force" is a distinctive Sx, simular to but different from psionics, chi, and cosmic/universal energy. So a Jedi in my campagine would be an acrobatic martial artist with some enhanced senses, probably a multipower of "mind tricks" (some tk, superleaping, mind control, levels to stealth, extra DCV), and a strict code of conduct. I think a character like that could well be integrated in the Avengers. Mantis leaps to mind, and I don't know if Iron Fist has ever been a Avenger but he would not be out of place.

Now the question is, is a Jedi a Jedi without a lightsaber? If not, you then have to decide what a lightsaber is. Start with Sx, is this advanced tech, or a manifestation of the Force? In the movies it did not seem one had to be a force sensitive to use a lightsaber (but in the EU one did have to be a force sensitive to build one), so I would make it a universal focus independent from any other Force powers.

So if a tech device, did he invent it? Is he the First Jedi? Was he given it/given instructions on making it by his mentor, and thus he is one of a long line of Jedi? Is it an alien/mystic artifact he found and felt an affinity to and adopted to his Jedi philosophy? Plot seeds in each.

As has been mentioned above, when a lightsaber was pulled in the movies someone ended up dead or mamed. In a four collor campagine I would have "settings" so it could be used to missile deflect / block without doing damage (Force Wall, RSR perhapse). hanging out with individuals who have CVK I might even put in a STUN only/NND setting. Not in keeping with the source material, may or may not be approperate for the campagine.

Actualy regarding stun lightsabers, it is keeping with the avengers setting as the black knight used one for a while (Around issue 350), I know you were refering to the SW source material, but when you combind two sets of sourse material you do have more choices of material

To have a true Jedi you must have Force. This means the introduction of an expansive and probably new religious factor into your game as well as a tremendous power reachable by all who have the proper faith and training.

A concept as large as the Force that is accessible to just one being is unrealistic.

There is genetic potential and other factors in addition to faith and training. No matter how religiously most of us practicce Martial Arts, it is doubful that any of us could be Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris, or even Jackie Chan.

In my campagine any human who can work magic are, usually unknow to them, members of one family, descendants of the Witch-Kings of Atlantis. Because the Force does resemble psi or chi, some NPC's could already be using it without calling it by its Proper Name.

Actually' date=' if you are going to have a jedi, make him a real jedi. Don't make him a delusional fan. That smacks of religious intolerance. (Yes, jedi'sm is an officially recognised religion. It bears strong similarities to a branch of Zen Buddhism.)[/quote']I can't believe someone resurrected a three year old thread to state that "jedi'ism is an officially [recognized] religion." :nonp:

And the First Amendment trumps the condescending "religious intolerance" approach. :straight:

Marvel has tried to slip a few Jedi into the mix, as close as they could get without drawing down the wrath of Darth Lucas. Someone mentioned Black Knight's energy sword days, Psylocke is pretty darn Jedi, etc.

A Jedi is essentially a kensai using an energy sword and with psychic powers. Sounds like a perfect fit in any campaign.

In a Mage: The Ascension game I participated in, the Storyteller allowed a player to play a Marauder that was a Jedi. The Storyteller was new to the game. But that and several other aspects threw the whole campaign off-kilter. It and those other elements utterly ruined the flavor of a campaign that had quite a bit of promise to it.

That being said. I have a character of my own that has what could be considered a lightsabre. Bit it is more of a very powerful laser cutter. But there was not a single Star Wars motivated consideration in that character's creation.

A Jedi could work in an Avengers-style campaign.

Personally, I would favour the "Fugitive From the Empire"/"Last Jedi" scenario.

A lightsaber is a technological artefact usable by non-Jedi - witness Han using Luke's saber on a dead tauntaun in Empire Strikes Back. "It might not smell too good, Luke, but it'll keep you warm,"

(I can't believe I can remember the dialogue well enough to quote it).

The Force is essentially George Lucas's term for ch'i and a jedai-geki is a Japanese period drama (7 Samurai, Hidden Fortress, etc). Lucas has gone on record as saying Hidden Fortress was the thematic template for Star Wars - or one of them, another was Frank Frazetta's Famous Funnies, especially the Buck Rogers covers.

I once thought of doing a superhero character named Jedi. Star Wars fan since childhood, develops psionic abilities when his inherent mutation manifests. Because of his psyche, these abilities tend to mimic Force-powers from the movies, novels, comics, video games, etc. Attends a school for mutants (like Xavier's), where one of his classmates is a techno-path who builds him a working lightsaber (but more versatile than the ones from the movies; has a stun setting for normal damage, a kill setting for killing damage, a cutting setting for penetrating AP damage, and a disruption setting for NND damage). Because of the nature of his powers, he decides to use Jedi as his superhero name. Costume is Jedi robes in different color schemes with a matching half-mask (think Zoro-style). The robes provide some RPD and RED, but not much. Tends to rely on dodges and lightsaber deflection for defense. When in costume (and occasionally when not), likes to say things like "May the Force be with you" and "I have a bad feeling about this."

One of the ideas I had for bringing the jedi into the campaign was this.

One of the Avengers security guards tells the heroes about his son's involvement with a Vampire Slayer and her friends, and they go out hunting undead most nights. If the heroes follow, they might see an adult who is with them using psionic abilities and wielding an energy sword that hums and has a purple blade.

One of the ideas I had for bringing the jedi into the campaign was this.

One of the Avengers security guards tells the heroes about his son's involvement with a Vampire Slayer and her friends, and they go out hunting undead most nights. If the heroes follow, they might see an adult who is with them using psionic abilities and wielding an energy sword that hums and has a purple blade.

I think the basics of the answer are these: You're the GM. If you and the players will have fun, then it is reasonable. Considering you have other genres in your Avengers campaign, then the precedence is already set to be accepted. I say go for it (if you already haven't).