Force Field powers help?

VR Dragon

Re: Force Field powers help?

Hm... depending on how much control and experience the character has, you may want to keep a Green Lantern's suite of powers in mind.

Possible additions:

1. Define EB as vs PD

2. EB has increased KB to emphasize a physical component

3. Entangles are pretty popular

4. TK

5. If the character is nasty, consider a continous NND vs Life support to simulate a ranged choke.

6. Maybe forcefield usuable on others to boost defense of other team mates

7. Life Support linked to FF, possible usuable by others.

If you want to make the character feel different, how about making the character a martial artist who then develops powers. The forcefields can be used to agument or become martial arts weapons for a host of HKA's, RKA's, and HA's.

Okay, I am looking to make a force field character but not just anther invisible woman minus the invis part hero.

The standard things that leap to mind are

Force Wall

Personal Force Field

EB: Force Bolt (Yawn)

So I was hoping for some ideas on some powers, FX etc....

Thanks

How about going with making the character stand out and not the powers? The archtypes for powers have been to the point that you really need something "out there" to be unique. If I made a hero that shoots fire or an inhuman brick, people would think of them as Human Torch or Thing unless I did something special to set them apart.

For the FX, how about not making the powers invisible (it costs points and is less dramatic). For example make them neon green or an unusual color. Then shape it. Your force field isn't just an outline around your body, it's hawk-shaped with wings coming out of the shoulders and force bolts coming from its eyes. (If you can get flight, all the better.) Or you could play with the name force field and have it absorb force instead of deflecting it. Force = mass x acceleration. Bullets run out of speed so they don't do damage. The energy from an energy blast is absorbed by the field. This would give a plausable reason for an overload disadvantage.

Unusual powers, how about growth? The force field around you expands, filling up with energy until the character is the heart of a titan. You could probably go with a hero with force field power but can't use them at range. He has growth, HA and HKA (represented by growing FF spines or blades along his fists), stretching, clinging/KB resistance, etc all different ways to use a malable personal force field.

The character may be from a different reality with different physical laws with the FF being the barrier that seperates the universe he occupies from himself. You could take vulurnability or low stats to represent how things work differently from the character's home-universe. You'd have to at least make the FF inherant and give him some life support. Think of how a deep-sea diver has to take certain precautions and equipment to survive down there.

For the team player, have FF useable by others, a Change Environment that reduces running by creating a frictionless field just above the ground. For extra fun add Selective to create swiss cheese holes where your teemmates feet go in. Then if you're mean, have it grow little spikes. Throw in a technology dispell (jam a FF bubble up the gun barrel) if you expect to be fighting agents. Don't harm the bad guys, make it easier for your teammates to harm them.

I was going to suggest the "shaped force field" (or "Force Wall") option myself. "Moquif's" suggestion is even more fun. Add "Useable As An Attack" (FF's are mostly defensive after all) so that he can englobe opponents in a projected force field. Then there is the idea of "Force Lifting" which could be described in laymens terms as creating a force field under an object and moving the force field in the desired direction (It would probably be defined as a "TK" variant in the book)

Okay, I am looking to make a force field character but not just anther invisible woman minus the invis part hero.

The standard things that leap to mind are

Force Wall

Personal Force Field

EB: Force Bolt (Yawn)

So I was hoping for some ideas on some powers, FX etc....

Thanks

I've got some suggestions. First now, Powerhouse suggested:

Hm... depending on how much control and experience the character has, you may want to keep a Green Lantern's suite of powers in mind.

Possible additions:

1. Define EB as vs PD

2. EB has increased KB to emphasize a physical component

3. Entangles are pretty popular

4. TK

5. If the character is nasty, consider a continous NND vs Life support to simulate a ranged choke.

6. Maybe forcefield usuable on others to boost defense of other team mates

7. Life Support linked to FF, possible usuable by others.

If you want to make the character feel different, how about making the character a martial artist who then develops powers. The forcefields can be used to agument or become martial arts weapons for a host of HKA's, RKA's, and HA's.

Forcefields can be utilized in quite a few different ways, in addition to what was suggested above by Powerhouse (good ideas, there):

a) Any power you want, made Invisible. Let's face it, we can't see gravity but we can certainly feel it's effects.

B) A NND PD RKA (or just RKA), usuable only on foci. The hero creates a field inside the foci and then tries to enlarge the field, causing the foci to explode or rip-apart.

c) Flight, usuable on others. Englobe a friend and move them along with yourself, assuming you fly.

d) Hand Attack, HKA. I've used this many a time. Created a field of force (maybe around your fist or a weapon) and whack someone with it. Don't forget just how impressive you can make a HKA appear; I actually used this one for an NPC hero (Me as GM: The hero 'Force' holds his hands together, as if he's holding a sword. A glowing field appears in his hands and forms into the shape of a sword. When it stops glowing, he's holding a transparent sword.)

No foci limitation given for this, of course, but it worked so well. :)

e) Energy Blast (Physical), Indirect, Invisible. Who says your EB has to look like a bolt of force coming from your hand? How about an invisible assistant who helps you fight crime; perhaps with extra Speed with this attack usuable only on those phases.

f) Extra limbs. Not an original idea but from one of Hero Games previous villains, it is very impressive to have your hero suddenly have 2, 3, 4 or more extra glowing hands ready to pummel your oppponent. Perhaps bonus OCV level with your attack to represent the easy of getting in a punch.

g) Repulsor beam. Ever try a 10d6 EB, double KB, limitation: EB does no Stun or Body to target - only KB? Make it Invisible and with a glance, the hero can make his opponent fly off his feet & crash into any object he/she wants.

h) Force raft. Forcewall, only on water surface, 0 End, persistant. Not every hero can swim & being able to create a raft of pure force is a great way to take a breather or transport heros or NPC's.

i) Force Drill. A huge drill of pure force, emanating from a forcefield (or not) allowing you to Tunnel through things.

I've got quite a few more ideas but hope these help.

I was going to suggest the "shaped force field" (or "Force Wall") option myself. "Moquif's" suggestion is even more fun. Add "Useable As An Attack" (FF's are mostly defensive after all) so that he can englobe opponents in a projected force field. Then there is the idea of "Force Lifting" which could be described in laymens terms as creating a force field under an object and moving the force field in the desired direction (It would probably be defined as a "TK" variant in the book)

If you went with FF Usable against others, would that mean the target has to break out of the FF in order to attack? Also Force Lifting can be worked in other ways. Put it over an object and move the FF down to squish it. Put it against a floor or wall to make your own opening (like the power drill). Buy and EB with Indirect and you can put the FF anywhere and have it expand in any direction.

Missile reflection, energy weapons only. The Sfx would be: Create a corner reflector with your force wall, and any incoming energy beam that contacts the reflector is redirected back exactly parallel to its incident path, but going the opposite direction.

Useable as an Attack is probably the option you are looking for. Being able to trap the villain within the Force Field' date=' and allowing attacks in, but not out.[/quote']

Couldn't you do the same thing with Force Wall? Just put it in front of the target facing the "wrong" way?

If you're making visible, solid energy shapes from your imagination then it's a Green Lantern character, not an Invisible Woman character. ;)

I did this once, and did it as a large VPP. The GM allowed me a -1/2 limitation for no indirect and no invisible powers effects.

My favorite effect was to make clothes appear on the target that were too tight, defined as a DEX suppress (as opposed to an Entangle). Then the other characters could pound all they wanted. The best part was making the outfits as humiliating as possible.