Power Build: "Portal" power

Samaritan

So, I've got a character who's power is focused around his ability to open small portals that lead to a distant space (within LOS, though, or at least relatively short ranged), where he can reach through and punch, or pick up items and bring them back through his side of the portal.

The 'visual effects' that come to mind are:

- Punching an opponent in the back of the head, but be standing in front of them at the time.

- Opening a portal to 'reach through' a door to unlock the lock on the other side; or, to pick up an item on the other side of a wall.

How would you handle this?

Stretching, w/ the Indirect Advantage?

Desolidification, linked to Stretching?

Re: Power Build: "Portal" power

You could also' date=' for the sake of simplicity, make it a Physical EB with Indirect[/quote']

That's true, but then I wouldn't be able to reflect being able to pull something back through the portal.

Although... that DOES give me another visualization, that of several portals opening up around a group of thugs. On the character's end (tentatively named "Reach"), he punches into a single portal- his fist ends up exiting out of these portals simultaneously. An Area Attack, Indirect, with Selective Targeting maybe? Would that even work?

Who said it had to be one power.

Punch: EB, Indirect

MultiPunch - EB, AoE

Manipulating Objects: TK, Gestures

Grabbing Objects: Stretching, Does Not Cross Intervening Space, No Velocity Damage

etc...

this is really a whole host of powers to do many different things.

Also, add Extra Limbs, linked to the Stretching and you can open lots of portals and grab lots of things at once. Up to your STR of course.

Stretching, w/ the Indirect Advantage?

According to 5ER, Stretching contains the Indirect advantage automatically. Additionally, you can add the (+1/4) Does Not Cross Intervening Space to give you the exact effect you are looking for. It even uses the example of a portal in its description.

It seems like the "gate" power described under Teleportation would do everything you want. You could tailor it for very small gates...

An idea about gate-ers; create a pair of tiny gates just in front of the eyes. Justifies N-Ray vision or Clairsentience. And the visual effect is too cool!

Superhero 'Gater always wears too-cool sunglasses. He goes into trances, and a second later he can tell you what's happening beyond a wall, behind him, on the other side of the city! It's creepy.

One day, a villian or cocky ally knocks off his sunglasses - to reveal glowing disks in front of his eyes! Aaaaaagggghhhh!

Who said it had to be one power.

Well said Ghost-Angel.

The protals are essentially common SFX round which the player should base a whole series of powers. Clairsentience would be a good one as he peeks through a portal, missile deflection would be another as he ports the missile behind him (reflection would mean the portal switched the attack around).

All kinds of options without any need to describe the portal itself - just the game effects you want to be able to achieve with it.

Doc

Stretching is only sorta indirect, the ‘Common origin, any direction’ kind.

I’d say you’d have to buy it as actual indirect.

Still, it’s the way to go. It lets you flip switches, stab people with foci you just found, grab things, grope supervillainesses, and take damage from her invisible damage shield.

So, Stretching, does not cross intervening space. (you’ve already got the first half for free, so I’d only insist on an extra +1/4 or +1/2 for the indirect).

59 (88) Holey Space, Nighthawk! 10†Stretching, Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4) Indirect: Any Origin, Any Direction (+1/2), No Stretching Damage (-1/4), Range Modifier Applies (-1/4)

I gave a price break for indirect, because you sorta already paid for part of it.

Kinda pricey, but you could probably get by with half of that, maybe with an extra x2 noncombat.

Or just enough to fit in a multipower with your missile reflection . . .

---

Come to think of it, Stretching could use a top-down rewrite as well. Stretching damage is silly.

I don’t think so. ‘Common Origin’ (Actually, it’s ‘Defined Origin,’ mistake mine) Indirect can’t pass through barriers without breaking them. The special effect is pretty clearly the +3/4, Any Origin, Any Direction version.

I might be talked down to only paying an additional +1/4 for it, though, as you get the +1/2 ‘Defined Origin Point, Any Direction’ version for free with base Stretching.

---

“They call him Johnny Longbowâ€

“Oh! Is he seeing anyone!â€

I don’t think so. ‘Common Origin’ (Actually, it’s ‘Defined Origin,’ mistake mine) Indirect can’t pass through barriers without breaking them. The special effect is pretty clearly the +3/4, Any Origin, Any Direction version.

I might be talked down to only paying an additional +1/4 for it, though, as you get the +1/2 ‘Defined Origin Point, Any Direction’ version for free with base Stretching.

---

“They call him Johnny Longbowâ€

“Oh! Is he seeing anyone!â€

Defined Origin is the Characters Arm/Fist.

the "Does Not Pass Through Intervening Space" advantage on Stretching covers your statement about passing through barriers.

So, I'll respectfully state that given the already Indirect nature of Stretching combined with Does Not Pass Through Space advantage negates any further need for Indirect to be purchased with this power.

Then you don’t want to call it ‘Defined Origin.’ That's not the effect you’re describing. That’s the other kind of Indirect. :)

I’m picking nits because it looks like you’re correct. I misremembered it. While it doesn’t say you can go through solid objects with the Doesn’t Pass Space, it doesn’t say you can’t, either. Using it as the ‘other’ 1/4 of full Indirect seems reasonable.

It DOES say you can’t pull things through, though. Maybe that was what I was thinking of.

So maybe you DO need and extra +1/4 to do that! Ha! :)

---

You shouldn’t have to buy ‘No Noncombat’ ‘No Indirect’ ‘No Extra Damage’ on 90% of the uses for a power . . .

Then you don’t want to call it ‘Defined Origin.’ That's not the effect you’re describing. That’s the other kind of Indirect. :)

I’m picking nits because it looks like you’re correct. I misremembered it. While it doesn’t say you can go through solid objects with the Doesn’t Pass Space, it doesn’t say you can’t, either. Using it as the ‘other’ 1/4 of full Indirect seems reasonable.

It DOES say you can’t pull things through, though. Maybe that was what I was thinking of.

So maybe you DO need and extra +1/4 to do that! Ha! :)

---

You shouldn’t have to buy ‘No Noncombat’ ‘No Indirect’ ‘No Extra Damage’ on 90% of the uses for a power . . .

Even with the extra +1/4 I'm not sure I'd let someone pull something through a solid object with this build. That I'd make them use Teleport, OBO (or some variant thereof).

Here's an interesting idea for a Portal-Guy:

Portal Protection:

When people try to punch or shoot you a portal appears in the path of the attack harmlessly redirecting it.

Area affect attacks and other attacks that produce an effect larger than a human head (or so) bypass this defense (another example is someone with sufficient Growth to have a sufficiently large fist).

Disolidification (40 Points)

Advantages:

Affects Physical World (+2)

Limitations:

Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)

Lockout (-1/2) Cannot use other Gate-like Powers

(It would be nice to require a roll like Missile Deflection, but I'm not sure how much that would be worth).

60 Real Points (120 Active Points)

Thoughts? (I realize the AP amount is a bit high for most starting games, but I think it might be ok for a gate-based character).

-Drachasor

Here's an interesting idea for a Portal-Guy:

Portal Protection:

When people try to punch or shoot you a portal appears in the path of the attack harmlessly redirecting it.

Area affect attacks and other attacks that produce an effect larger than a human head (or so) bypass this defense (another example is someone with sufficient Growth to have a sufficiently large fist).

Disolidification (40 Points)

Advantages:

Affects Physical World (+2)

Limitations:

Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)

Lockout (-1/2) Cannot use other Gate-like Powers

(It would be nice to require a roll like Missile Deflection, but I'm not sure how much that would be worth).

60 Real Points (120 Active Points)

Thoughts? (I realize the AP amount is a bit high for most starting games, but I think it might be ok for a gate-based character).

-Drachasor

You don't put Affects Physical World on Desolidification - you put it on all the powers you want to have work while your Desolid. Which makes all your other powers more expensive.

While it's a very cool idea, Missle Reflection/Deflection is the more cost effective method for this power.

I would just put the Desolid and the missle deflection in the same MP with the other portal tricks. The Desolid is the 'dodge everything' all-out-defense version; I would skip the 'affects physical world' and use it solely as a pure defense power. Plus, it will work against HTH attacks, which missle deflect won't. If it's in an MP, unless it's a huge MP the lockout lim will be pretty meaningless, though. You might want to add concentration or something instead if you need more lims, though MP slots are fairly inexpensive to begin with.

With missle deflect, I wouldn't just get missle deflect, I would get the reflection adder too, otherwise it's pretty much a waste compared to what you get from desolid. Plus it fits with the SFX quite nicely to redirect raged attacks back onto the attacker (or wherever else you want.)

You don't put Affects Physical World on Desolidification - you put it on all the powers you want to have work while your Desolid. Which makes all your other powers more expensive.

While it's a very cool idea, Missle Reflection/Deflection is the more cost effective method for this power.

That's what I get for skimming. : (

Oops.

Yeah, as Zed-F said, the problem with Missile Reflection/Deflection is that there is no help against melee attacks.

-Drachasor