The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

I wanted to get Josh a Wii for his birthday, but was worried about timing (and knew he'd know what that $300 at Toys R Us or whatever was for when it showed up on the account). So I didn't try to make it a surprise, and enlisted his assistance.

And on Sunday morning at 12:20 PM, we walked out of Toys R Us with our very own brand-new Wii, and a second controller.

It's cute. ^ v ^

It's also wicked fun. We played tennis until our friends got there for the weekly game. It seems we both do better if we play doubles against the computer.

I got one of those Chessex hexsheet battlemats a year ago, and like an idiot, drew on it with dry-erase marker the first time I gamed with it. The marker didn't come off, of course, even after trying several solvents.

Then the other night, while bored, I picked up the Pink Pearl block and started rubbing away at the marks. And they came off! Takes more effort than erasing paper, make no doubt about that, and there's still faint traces, but it's very easy to ignore those.

Took about 20-30 minutes to undo damage done by the year-old tactical map. And, I have the nice safe water-soluble markers ready and the dry-erase stashed far, far away.

I got one of those Chessex hexsheet battlemats a year ago' date=' and like an idiot, drew on it with dry-erase marker the first time I gamed with it. The marker didn't come off, of course, even after trying several solvents.[/quote']

I did the exact same thing when I bought my battlemat an embarrassingly long time ago. Of course I couldn't test it on the edge or anything, I drew a big blue squiggle right down the center.

I'd try your solution but I have no idea where that mat wound up. Haven't seen it this century.

I got one of those Chessex hexsheet battlemats a year ago, and like an idiot, drew on it with dry-erase marker the first time I gamed with it. The marker didn't come off, of course, even after trying several solvents.

Then the other night, while bored, I picked up the Pink Pearl block and started rubbing away at the marks. And they came off! Takes more effort than erasing paper, make no doubt about that, and there's still faint traces, but it's very easy to ignore those.

Took about 20-30 minutes to undo damage done by the year-old tactical map. And, I have the nice safe water-soluble markers ready and the dry-erase stashed far, far away.

Wow. I will definitely try that. I've ruined more than one battlemat that way (you'd think I'd've learned... my wife thinks it's just 'cause I like buying new battlemats). :P Just a big pink rubber eraser, you say?

Wow. I will definitely try that. I've ruined more than one battlemat that way (you'd think I'd've learned... my wife thinks it's just 'cause I like buying new battlemats). :P Just a big pink rubber eraser' date=' you say?[/quote']

Yep. And when I said "Pink Pearl", that was the literal brand name. Don't know if that matters (my guess is any pink rubber eraser will do), but that's as complete as I can be.

EDIT: FWIW, it was a black dry-erase. I am not about to see if the eraser'll take off other colors too.

I did the exact same thing when I bought my battlemat an embarrassingly long time ago. Of course I couldn't test it on the edge or anything, I drew a big blue squiggle right down the center.

I'd try your solution but I have no idea where that mat wound up. Haven't seen it this century.

We usually didn't draw on them with a dry-erase, but a perm marker. Those we didn't find anything that removed the stuff. We did try some solvents on one mat which ruined the mat pretty well.

Most cases, the lines were the beginnings of a trip sheet. Just the first lines before one of the more observant people would go "Isn't that a permanent marker?"

Well the PS2 clunked out on me.

Mom and I couldn't watch movies on it (MY computer is my main personal DVD watcher, but when I have company, I use the PS2)

Its been having trouble with the DVD games too. But...Lo and behold, the CD based games (PS1) work fine. So, I told my brother it was his, took the money my mommy gave me for putting her up at 'Chez Chad' and bought a brand new second generation PS2 today.

it's little, the cd is inserted into a flip top, and it's silver. It was also 129$ less than half of what I paid for the first generation 5 years ago.

It's no PS3, heck it's no Wii. But it plays my games and movies quite well and (and I think Alice would agree with me here if she could see it) it's cute.

Well the PS2 clunked out on me.

Mom and I couldn't watch movies on it (MY computer is my main personal DVD watcher, but when I have company, I use the PS2)

Its been having trouble with the DVD games too. But...Lo and behold, the CD based games (PS1) work fine. So, I told my brother it was his, took the money my mommy gave me for putting her up at 'Chez Chad' and bought a brand new second generation PS2 today.

it's little, the cd is inserted into a flip top, and it's silver. It was also 129$ less than half of what I paid for the first generation 5 years ago.

It's no PS3, heck it's no Wii. But it plays my games and movies quite well and (and I think Alice would agree with me here if she could see it) it's cute.

Cute can be very important in a game console, y'know. ^ v ^

Mmm, girl scout cookies. ^ v ^

Josh picked some up last weekend, the delightfully smart and thoughtful man that he is. We've already eaten more than half of the cookies. ^ v ^;

And I didn't hit the bunny rabbit that darted out in front of my car last night. Phew!

It's grand when you find, on careful examination, that you made the correct design decision some time in the past, and adding the new dimension to a key segment of your model entails just adding a single if-block of two lines.