Old Soldier.

Enforcer84

I'm making an NPC; he's something of an eternal soldier. Born too late to fight in WWII, he did fight in Korea (anyone know how about when he'd be born?) while there he encountered something or someone who healed the grievous wounds he'd sustained. Not only that, but it apparently made him ageless. He's a supersoldier styled hero. Above "Human Prime" in chracteristics, 23 or better Dex, 5-6 SPD.

So my question, what kind of skills would he have? Did they have the Rangers in Korea? What are some good marksman skills? For martial arts I am using "Special Forces" the Streetfighter version of Commando training, Boxing style punches to go with a few holds, throws, and Tae Kwon Do Style kicks.

It's an early bronze age style hero, still on the silver edges, so I am not looking for hyper realism, but enough that he's not rediculous. Also his family are big business tycoons, he's got the gadgets, weapons, vehicles, and numerous contacts. This guy is the fighter, he runs the detective work to one friend, and the technical stuff to another.

Any ideas, comments, questions? It's kind of a rough idea I'd like to turn into a group stuff.

Re: Old Soldier.

Well, some Penality Skill Levels in targetting and Range make for good sharp shooting. You might want to rip off some of the 'super skills' (powers that aren't powers) from Dark Champions.

Personally, I think Find Weakness is a great equalizer in situations like these. :)

find weakness, analyze, and tactics. He's going to have to be either a thinker or an atropine junkie (or both) to keep up in a super world.

(I've been playing with just such an idea myself, but with a Templar knight. It's a LOT of backstory, though, isn't it?)

As an aside, consider DNPCs: his peers are all in there mid to late sixties now.

Now' date=' I need one of my history buffs, to tell me what kind of special forces training was available in the Korean War.[/quote']

U.S. Army Rangers - Founded 1942

U.S. Army Special Forces (Green Berets) - Founded 1942

U.S Navy Underwater Demolition Teams (precursor to the Navy SEALS) - Formed 1950

U.S. Air Force Air Commandos - Founded 1943

As for his age, having him born in the early 1930s works well. About 1931-1932 makes him 18-19 in 1950, military age for the Korean war outbreak. If you want to reflect him already being a Ranger when the Korean War starts have him born in 1929, now he's 16 at the end of WW2 and 21 at the begining of the Korean War (putting him at a possible 3 years into his military career).

And here I thought this thread was goign to be about Astro City :P

Well, unless he lied abou this age you probably want him born some time around 1932, since the war started in 1950.

There were Ranger companies in Korea, so you should be able to fit that in his backgroud if you want.

As for combat training, I'd have to double check with some buddies but I think the military was still relying heavily on Sykes/Fairbairn/Applegate methods that were developed in WWII.

For the record, Taekwondo didn't "officially" exist until around '55 or so (two years after the war ended), at which point they started to codify the style out of multiple teachers methods. Regardless of that, Taekwondo back in the 50's and 60's was a lot different then what it is today. I won't say more, as the history of martial arts in general, and Korean martial arts in particular, is a hotly debated subject and I'm just not in the mood for an opinionated flame war.

So my question, what kind of skills would he have? Did they have the Rangers in Korea? What are some good marksman skills? For martial arts I am using "Special Forces" the Streetfighter version of Commando training, Boxing style punches to go with a few holds, throws, and Tae Kwon Do Style kicks.

Any ideas, comments, questions? It's kind of a rough idea I'd like to turn into a group stuff.

For age, have the character turn 18 anywhere from 1945-1950.

For marksman skills, I say buy Penalty level skills for range and hit locations. CSL for weapons might not be a bad idea, either. It would probably be appropriate to give him some sight Perception levels as well.

U.S. Army Rangers - Founded 1942

U.S. Army Special Forces (Green Berets) - Founded 1942

U.S Navy Underwater Demolition Teams (precursor to the Navy SEALS) - Formed 1950

U.S. Air Force Air Commandos - Founded 1943

Just to add to this, 'technically' or 'semantics-wise' we've had Rangers since we've had an army, but nothing like what has been seen since WW2. And in WW2, there were Frogmen which are the predecessor to SEALs, but they were (to my current knowledge) just water-related, blowing stuff up with demolitions as well as scouting.

Also, Enforcer, each of these special units have different purposes. In very, very basic terms:

SEALs go into enemy territory, do something nasty, and leave, generally undetected.

Rangers are shock troops. They unload massive amounts of firepower to take an objective (such as an airport), without destroying the objective (and strangely, Rangers generally have the oldest equipment).

Special Forces excellent at surviving off the land and training the locals in warfare.

Air Force Commandos I'm not too sure about because I've never really studied them; I think though that they secure landing zones and do pararescue.

All of the above are airborne qualified.

The Marines also have LRRP(s) (Long Range Reconaissance Patrols, pronounced "Lurps") which is self-explanatory, but I believe (not positive) that they are also trained snipers. (Don't know if they're required to be airborne, but when I was the airborne school, I did see several LRRPs going through.)

For Special Forces, many of them are Ranger qualified, but it is not a requirement.

I think Marine Recon is worth mentioning. They go in first - before the Marines go in. Scouts and snipers.

The Division reactivated the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion on 8 June 2000 but the battalion was originally activated on 1 March 1937. It now calls the Margarita(33) Area home. Before 1944 Marine Recon was primarily scout/sniper units. In April 1944 a two company amphibious reconnaissance battalion was formed with the mission of conducting beach reconnaissance and hydrographic survey. Today the Battalion performs a wide variety of tactical and special operations in support of the Division.

linkage

Thanks Hermit, I actually figured you'd be one of the first.

Now, I need one of my history buffs, to tell me what kind of special forces training was available in the Korean War.

The following U.S. Ranger Units saw tours of duty during the Korean War:

• 1st Ranger Infantry Company, Airborne
  • 2nd Ranger Infantry Company, Airborne
  • 3rd Ranger Infantry Company, Airborne
  • 4th Ranger Infantry Company, Airborne
  • 5th Ranger Infantry Company, Airborne
  • 7th Ranger Infantry Company, Airborne
  • 8th Ranger Infantry Company, Airborne
  • 8th Army Ranger Company (8213th Army Unit)

Also, for all the information that you cound possible want for research into the Korean War, got to http://www.korean-war.com/.

You can also check out the Korean War Project, which has some really good information about the conflict.

I hope this helps in your endeavor Enforcer84...Good Luck.:thumbup:

As for his age' date=' having him born in the early 1930s works well. About 1931-1932 makes him 18-19 in 1950, military age for the Korean war outbreak. If you want to reflect him already being a Ranger when the Korean War starts have him born in 1929, now he's 16 at the end of WW2 and 21 at the begining of the Korean War (putting him at a possible 3 years into his military career).[/quote']

Perfect! Thanks!

Alright, more questions.

I'm looking to spend 20 pts on Knowledge skills, all 11-;

right now I have:

Army History and Customs

Business/Finance

Firearm Design & Designers

Ranger History & Traditions

Recognize Weapon Quality

The Martial World

The Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World

The Superhuman World

any others you can think of?

Oh and some good contacts.
Definitily some contacts within the Army itself or Special Operations Command (SOCOM) specifically are in order. Does the Government know that he is an eternal warrior?

Intelligence agencies probably (DIA or CIA for the most part), if he isn't on active duty in the military he'd be very valuable to the CIA as an operative (there are certain restrictions upon people in the uniformed services that don't apply to those not legally considered "military")

Defense contractors (he probably knows some of the senior executives from serving with them, a lot of generals and admirals go to work for them when they retire due to the pay and their wealth of experience in the field)

Members of the Senate & House Armed Services and Intelligence committees.

TB

Here's how he looks at this point. His totals got a bit high. I might scale him back.

Unknown Soldier

Val**Char**Cost**Roll**Notes

20****STR*****10******13-****Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

26****DEX*****48******14-****OCV:**9/DCV:**9

20****CON*****20******13-

12****BODY****4******11-

23****INT*******13******14-****PER Roll 18-/22-

17****EGO*****14******12-****ECV:**6

20****PRE******10******13-****PRE Attack:**4d6

14****COM*****2******12-

7/19****PD*********3******Total:**7/19 PD (1/13 rPD)

7/19****ED*********3******Total:**7/19 ED (1/13 rED)

6****SPD*******24******Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

8****REC*******0

40****END*****0

45****STUN***13******Total Characteristic Cost:**168

Movement:

Running:**9"/36"

Leaping:**4"/8"

Swimming:**3"/6"

Cost**Powers**END

46**Sonic Blaster:**Multipower, 62-point reserve, all slots 60 Charges (+1/2) (93 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

3u**1) Basic Sonic Blast:**Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); OAF (-1)

2u**2) Cutting Sonic Blast:**Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (45 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires 3 Charges Per Use (-1/2)

3u**3) Deafening Sonic Blast:**Hearing Group Flash 12d6, Explosion (+1/2) (54 Active Points); OAF (-1)

2u**4) Stunning Sonic Blast:**Energy Blast 5d6, Attack Versus Limited Defense (defense is Hearing Flash Defense; +1 1/2) (62 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires 3 Charges Per Use (-1/2)

5**Sonic Blaster: (Duplicate Model):**Custom Power (5 Active Points) 1

18**Reinforced Costume:**Armor (9 PD/9 ED) (27 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

**Athletic/Marksman Skills

8**1) Accuracy:**Targeting Skill Levels: +4 vs. Hit Location modifiers with Firearms

7**2) Double Tap:**Autofire (2 shots; +1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of non-Autofire RKA, Both Shots Must Be At The Same Target (+0) (15 Active Points); OIF (non-Autofire firearm of opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Shooting Tricks Roll (-1/2) 1

6**3) Favorite Gun:**(Total: 6 Active Cost, 6 Real Cost) Lightning Reflexes: +2 DEX to act first with a single type and model firearm (Real Cost: 2) plus +2 OCV with a single type and model of firearm (Real Cost: 4)

1**4) Good Swimmer:**Swimming +1" (3" total) 1

11**5) Headbutt:**(Total: 14 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) HA +2d6 (10 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) plus +2 OCV with Headbut (Real Cost: 4) 1

3**6) Iron Will:**Mental Defense (14 points total)

4**7) Quick Draw Artist:**Lightning Reflexes: +4 DEX to act first with Firearms

7**8) Swift:**Running +1" (11" total), x4 Noncombat 1

12**9) Uncanny Senses:**+4 PER with all Sense Groups

35**10) Wisdom of the Ages:**Find Weakness 12- with All Attacks

**Immortality

10**1) Can Take a Punch:**Physical Damage Reduction, 25%

10**2) Can soak up punishment:**Energy Damage Reduction, 25%

20**3) Hard To Kill:**+20 BODY (40 Active Points); Conditional Power Power does not work in Very Common Circumstances (Only to Stave off Death; -1)

1**4) Tougher than you'd think:**Damage Resistance (1 PD/1 ED)

6**5) Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn; Longevity: Immortal)

**Mask

10**1) Active Sonar Array:**Active Sonar (Hearing Group) (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

2**2) Armored Mask:**Armor (3 PD/3 ED) (9 Active Points); Activation Roll 8- (only protects Hit Locations 3-5; -2), OIF (-1/2)

5**3) Audial Dampers:**Hearing Group Flash Defense (8 points) (8 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

5**4) Auditory Enhancers:**+4 PER with Hearing Group (8 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

6**5) Mask Radio:**High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Sense Affected As Sight And Hearing Groups As Well As Radio Group (-1/2)

5**6) Mindshield:**+8 Mental Defense (14 points total) (8 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

3**7) Nightsight Lenses:**Nightvision (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

8**8) Parabolic Receiver:**+8 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

5**9) Polarized Lenses:**Sight Group Flash Defense (8 points) (8 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

3**10) Thermalsight Lenses:**Infrared Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); OIF (-1/2)

\tabCommando Training

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

12**+3 HTH Damage Class(es)

3**Akido Throw +0 +1 7d6 +v/5, Target Falls

4**Boxing Cross +0 +2 9d6 Strike

4**Choke -2 +0 Grab One Limb; 3 1/2d6 NND

4**Escape +0 +0 50 STR vs. Grabs

3**Grappling Throw +0 +2 9d6 Strike; Target Falls; Must Follow Grab

4**Hold -1 -1 Grab Three Limbs, 25 STR for holding on

3**Joint Lock/Hold -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 45 STR for holding on

4**Joint Lock/Throw +1 +0 Grab One Limb; 2 1/2d6 NND ; Target Falls

4**Judo Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 45 STR to Disarm roll

4**Karate "Chop" -2 +0 HKA 2d6 +1

4**Kung Fu Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

3**Legsweep +2 -1 8d6 Strike, Target Falls

5**Side or Spin Kick -2 +1 11d6 Strike

1**Weapon Element: Clubs

1**Weapon Element: Knives

Perks

3**Well-Connected

1**1) Contact (2 Active Points) 11-

6**2) Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Very Good relationship with Contact) (7 Active Points) 12-

4**3) Contact (Contact has access to major institutions, Very Good relationship with Contact) (5 Active Points) 11-

4**4) Contact (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact) (5 Active Points) 11-

2**5) Contact (Contact has useful Skills or resources) (3 Active Points) 11-

8**6) Contact (Contact has useful Skills or resources), Organization Contact (x3) (9 Active Points) 11-

3**7) Contact (Contact has very useful Skills or resources) (4 Active Points) 11-

4**8) Contact (Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Good relationship with Contact) (5 Active Points) 12-

2**9) Contact (Good relationship with Contact) (3 Active Points) 11-

5**10) Contact, Organization Contact (x3) (6 Active Points) 11-

10**Money: Wealthy

9**I've been around, I've seen somethings:**Reputation: Heroic Icon (A large group) 14-, +3/+3d6

1**I'm my own father:**False Identity:

Talents

3**Ambidexterity (-2 Off Hand penalty)

6**Missed!:**Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

3**What was that?:**Lightsleep

5**Torture me again:**Resistance (5 points)

Skills

4**+2 OCV with firearm of choice

6**Keen Sight:**Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks

3**Breakfall 14-

3**Bureaucratics 13-

3**Climbing 14-

3**Combat Driving 14-

3**Concealment 14-

3**Criminology 14-

3**Cryptography 14-

3**Deduction 14-

5**Demolitions 15-

3**Electronics 14-

3**Fast Draw 14-

3**Fast Draw 14-

3**Forgery 14-

3**High Society 13-

3**Interrogation 13-

3**Inventor 14-

3**Linguist

0**1) Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

2**2) Language: Japanese (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2**3) Language: Korean (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2**4) Language: Mandarin (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

2**5) Language: Vietnamese (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

3**Lockpicking 14-

3**Mechanics 14-

2**Navigation (Land) 14-

3**PS: Industrialist 14-

2**PS: Ranger 11-

3**Parachuting 14-

3**Paramedics 14-

3**Persuasion 13-

3**Scholar

1**1) KS: Army History And Customs (2 Active Points) 11-

1**2) KS: Business/Finance (2 Active Points) 11-

1**3) KS: Firearm Design (2 Active Points) 11-

1**4) KS: Ranger History And Traditions (2 Active Points) 11-

1**5) KS: Recognize Weapon Quality (2 Active Points) 11-

1**6) KS: The Martial World (2 Active Points) 11-

1**7) KS: The Military/Mercenary/Terrorist World (2 Active Points) 11-

1**8) KS: The Superhuman World (2 Active Points) 11-

3**Security Systems 14-

3**Shadowing 14-

3**Sleight Of Hand 14-

5**Stealth 15-

5**Streetwise 14-

10**Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, Mountain, Urban) 14-

3**Systems Operation 14-

2**TF: Parachuting, Advanced, Parachuting, Basic

3**Tactics 14-

3**Teamwork 14-

3**Tracking 14-

3**Trading 13-

7**Trick Shot Skills 16-

4**WF: Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms

7**Weaponsmith (Energy Weapons, Firearms, Muscle-Powered HTH, Muscle-Powered Ranged) 15-

Total Powers & Skill Cost:**582

Total Cost:**750

200+ Disadvantages

10**Hunted: Legacy Villain 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20**Hunted: Mechanon 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15**Hunted: The Red Czar 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

25**Hunted: VIPER 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

15**Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing (Common, Strong)

15**Psychological Limitation: Seeks to train and shepard the next generation of Guardians (Common, Strong)

10**Psychological Limitation: Still get's jazzed about going into Action (Common, Moderate)

15**Reputation: Old school Hero, 14-

10**Rivalry: Professional (Other "Guntoting Heroes"; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry; Multiple Rivals)

15**Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Frequently, Major)

400 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points:**750

Background/History:**Born 1929, July 17th

Personality/Motivation:**

Quote:**

Powers/Tactics:**

Campaign Use:**

Appearance:**

He needs Russian as a language (no chance he made it through the Cold War without it)

Code versus Killing? I understand this is probably for a Champions/Silver Age campaign, but still, no soldier would have this (for Cops maybe) to not kill would in reality mean he's willing to get his comrades killed. I'd have something else for this Disadvantage.

I'd give him TF: Jeep & Tank, WF: Grenades, Grenade Launchers, Bazookas, Vehicle Mounted Weapons (Machine Guns and maybe the main gun of a Tank). These are all very general skills for Soldiers in reality (not the main gun of a tank though).

TB

Good Ideas. Perhaps I'll drop the code but he doesn't kill as a Supehero. He feels he needs to set an example. He does however, kill in self defense, or should a war situation occur (alien Invasion, etc.)

I'll toss Russian At him. :D

Oh, I like that:

"No, no, I will not stuff a grenade in Foxbat's pants and kick him off the Brooklyn Bridge. Stop asking me to I'm just not going to do it."

"Die Alien Scum! Eat hot napalm death!"

:D

TB

Oh, I like that: "No, no, I will not stuff a grenade in Foxbat's pants and kick him off the Brooklyn Bridge, stop asking me to I'm just not going to do it."

"Die Alien Scum! Eat hot napalm death!"

:D

TB

"Eat hot flaming X-rays, Centauran Scum!"

or something like that.

Yeah, I like the difference in attitude depending on what the situation is.

What? He doesn't have Hawkeye Pierce as a Contact? :D

Actually I wanted to chime in on the CVK question.

One of the characters in my campaign is an ex-Special Forces guy with a very strong CVK.

Why?

During one of his assignments he ended up killing a person that he thought was a sniper.

Actually it was a young girl who was trying to protect herself from bandits that had killed her family.

(It was a set-up. He didn't just blindly do it without orders, but he did do it.)

After he realized what he had done he knew that he could never take another human life.

He ended up going AWOL, and leaving the military once and for all. (Well, he would have had to anyway. Like I said, he was being set up.)

Anyway, just putting forth the idea that it would not be impossible for a former soldier to have a CVK.

It all depends on what he went through in the war.

Not that he has to be some kind of hippy peacenik.

He might just prefer punching someone in the face to shooting them. ;)

KA.

What? He doesn't have Hawkeye Pierce as a Contact? :D

Actually I wanted to chime in on the CVK question.

One of the characters in my campaign is an ex-Special Forces guy with a very strong CVK.

Why?

During one of his assignments he ended up killing a person that he thought was a sniper.

Actually it was a young girl who was trying to protect herself from bandits that had killed her family.

(It was a set-up. He didn't just blindly do it without orders, but he did do it.)

After he realized what he had done he knew that he could never take another human life.

He ended up going AWOL, and leaving the military once and for all. (Well, he would have had to anyway. Like I said, he was being set up.)

Anyway, just putting forth the idea that it would not be impossible for a former soldier to have a CVK.

It all depends on what he went through in the war.

Not that he has to be some kind of hippy peacenik.

He might just prefer punching someone in the face to shooting them. ;)

KA.

I could understand if someone had a loss of faith, but the character Enforcer seemed to be describing was one that still was very much a Soldier's Soldier.

I also find that strict CvK (outside of very Silver Age campaign or outight pacifists) is dumb/annoying in the extreme. But that's me, so YMMV.

TB