Pulp-style Anime

Steve

Re: Pulp-style Anime

Tezuka’s ‘medical pirate’ Black Jack is the first that comes to mind. A brilliant surgeon (unlicensed, of course) he charges astronomical fees and somehow always seems to get caught up in unlikely adventures involving thugs, horrible maimings, and strange ethical situations.

The (movie) anime sucked, but the manga was pretty good. There’s also a TV series which I don’t know anything about.

Actually, most of the SF and action shows from the 70’s and before had a very pulp feel Captian Harlock[/b] & Co. could have flown into any Doc Smith* story and felt right at home, and Golgo 13 and Lupan III could have shared panels with The Phantom without causing a blink.

This lessened somewhat as it got geekier through the early 80’s, but a lot of the feel is still there, even in modern stuff. Even shows that aren’t trying for a pulp feel often have pulp-like settings. 3x3 Eyes, Master of Mosquiton, and Phantom Quest Corp are the most obvious off the top of my head, but there are many others.

Manga, for all practical purposes, IS pulp, or what pulp might have grown into if it had managed to keep it’s broad readership and survive, and if Seduction of the Innocent hadn’t killed all the non-super comics.

---

*There actually was an anime version of Lensmen. Not very good, but not terrible.

Lupin III immediately comes to mind.

Definitely. Steam Detectives was already mentioned, but I also have to toss a vote in for Steamboy. El Hazard was directly inspired by John Carter of Mars, and has a lot of "lost world" tropes. There is also Laputa: Castle in the Sky which has flying machines, aerial dreadnoughts, a huge lost city, and the like. Oh, and Geo Armor/Kishin Corp which has giant World War II robots/fighting machines. Sakura Taisen features steam-powered battle armor and psychic powers set in the 1920s. Oh, and for those who like Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon SF pulp, I recommend Outlaw Star. Finally, Cowboy Bebop, among things, owes a lot to the film noir, pulp-era detective fiction sub-genre (as well as 60s & 70s spy and caper films and HK "heroic bloodshed" films).

The 70s Go Nagai giant robot anime series have a very pulp feel, though the technology may be too modernized for best effect. Tetsujin 28-go (Gigantor), with its rather crude-looking radio-controlled machine might work better for the period. Especially if you play up the Bulky, Fragile radio controls. ("We can't stop that thing! But if we can just find the controls, we can smash them!")

Back a decade or so, there was a manga set in 20s Japan and around the world by the folks who brought you Crying Freeman. Oh, and Fist of the Blue Sky largely takes place in 1930s Shanghai; too bad the publisher folded.

Finally' date=' [i']Cowboy Bebop[/i], among things, owes a lot to the film noir, pulp-era detective fiction sub-genre (as well as 60s & 70s spy and caper films and HK "heroic bloodshed" films).
Totally agree, gamewise Cowboy Bebop is an excellent example of Pulp + Dark Champions + Sci Fi elements.

I am a casual watcher of anime, and I have discovered Bebop late, but I find the episodes really fun to watch and I love the style and overall feel of the series.

Sakura Wars, about demon-fighters in steam-powered mecha whose cover is as an all-girl theatrical troupe, is very pulp. It's even the right time period (late 1920's).

Porco Rosso is a great example of a pulp-style advenmture film. A flying bounty hunter protects the Adriatic from air pirates as World War II looms on the horizon. Of course, he happens to be a pig, but who says heroes shouldn't have flaws?

If you want to be independent of time period, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned The Big O. Roger Smith, Negotiator, is very much a pulp hero, down to his flawless black suits.

Sakura Wars' date=' about demon-fighters in steam-powered mecha whose cover is as an all-girl theatrical troupe, is very pulp. It's even the right time period (late 1920's).[/quote']

Yeah, I mentioned that one as well.

If you want to be independent of time period' date=' I'm surprised nobody's mentioned [i']The Big O[/i]. Roger Smith, Negotiator, is very much a pulp hero, down to his flawless black suits.

I debated mentioning The Big O. I wasn't sure if it was "pulp" or more 50s-60s SF ish.

"Chrono Crusade" is set in an alternate 1920s USA. The nun in question is Rosette, who belongs to a special order of demon hunters. It's rather more "shades of gray" than standard pulp, since her partner Chrono is a bound demon who feeds off her lifeforce (she has a stopwatch that monitors/moderates this.)

Mind, I've only seen the first few episodes, so it may get more black and white as it goes along.

I have and have Chrono Crusade and may post more later, but I have to go to work right now.

EDIT: Okay now our firewall is down for the lunch hour and I actually have time to type something.

Chrono Crusade is based in 1928 America, a year before the onset of the Great Depression. The show starts off kind of dark but a little light-hearted and get progressively darker as the story continues. Being a show about a Demon hunting organization is has a very heavy supernatural influence. The main female character is Rosette Christopher. She drives a Model A Ford in most of the episodes and a custom built motorcycle in one episode. She uses a Colt 1911 pistol, a Broomhandle Mauser, and A Tommy Gun. These weapons generally fire blessed or enchanted bullets. In the opening episode they are onboard a steam ship for a time, but it is a ghost ship since everybody else has either fled or been slain by a Demon. They also take a cross-country train ride at one time. Lots of pulp-era building and gothic-style stuff too.

The Magdalene Order (The Demon hunters) use some pulp-era sci-fi equipment. A back-pack sized mobile phone and some Anti-Demon gadgets to form holy barriers and such.

One of the characters, Chrono, is a sort of reformed Demon. Satella is a Jewel-Witch, a witch who uses jewels for the components of her spells. Azmaria is a young girl who seems to be part Angel.

The Magdalene Order is not really secret. Apparently the Police know who they are and call them when crimes have obvious Demonic connections. The public seems to know who they are too. They try not to flaunt their existence or disturb the public but it usually turns into a hell of a comotion if they are involved. The Magdalene Order is set-up like a religious order. There are Sisters, Mothers, Fathers, Brothers, Bishops, etc. However even though their uniforms make them look like nuns and priests they are not. For instance, Rosette Christopher's habit has a skirt that is slit up both sides to mid-hip. She does a few missions in plain clothes and is not above using her appearance to influence people (or Chrono).

Personally I really liked the Anime and I have been collecting the manga as well (just the final issue is left). The story wraps-up with a good, solid conclusion, which is sometimes a problem with anime. However this is not really a "and they lived happly ever after" story.

El Hazard was directly inspired by John Carter of Mars' date=' and has a lot of "lost world" tropes.[/quote']

Ahh El-Hazard, my favorite anime, I have yet to find another like it. Anyway according to the BESM book, El-Hazard was also influenced by the Lensman series the Star Kings, Lensman, Skylark, Prisoner of Zenda, and of course the Arabian Nights. Most of these books either were pulp or inspired pulp in some way.

I was browsing through my anime collection, and I can't believe I forgot to mention Spirit of Wonder. It has a plucky girl hero (Miss China) who reminds me a bit of the Lili Winchester character in the back of Pulp Hero. She runs a boarding house and restaurant in the late 19th century called the Tenkai, and she has one boarder, a mad scientist inventor named Breckenridge who is chronically late with the rent. His inventions are straight out of the pulps.

I was browsing through my anime collection' date=' and I can't believe I forgot to mention [i']Spirit of Wonder.[/i] It has a plucky girl hero (Miss China) who reminds me a bit of the Lili Winchester character in the back of Pulp Hero. She runs a boarding house and restaurant in the late 19th century called the Tenkai, and she has one boarder, a mad scientist inventor named Breckenridge who is chronically late with the rent. His inventions are straight out of the pulps.

"And now, to prove my undying love for you, Miss China, I am going to destroy the Moon!"

Joking aside, Spirit of Wonder: Miss China's Ring is an under-appreciated classic. I'm glad someone remembers it.

Ahh El-Hazard' date=' my favorite anime, I have yet to find another like it. Anyway according to the BESM book, El-Hazard was also influenced by the Lensman series the Star Kings, Lensman, Skylark, Prisoner of Zenda, and of course the Arabian Nights. Most of these books either were pulp or inspired pulp in some way.[/quote']

El-Hazard also has a lot of other great pulp tropes; the exotic woman of immense power who is recruited by the enemy but who secretly is iin love with the hero and waiting for the chance to join his side, the shadowy conspiracy who leader pretends to be your friend when he is in reality your deadliest foe, a "good guy" nation turning in desperation to an ancient power that would have been much better left alone, and the hero whose power comes not from his ability to fight but from his mind and his heart.

And of course, it has Katsuhiro Jinnai, one of the classic anime-pulp villains. Because he harbors an anicent grudge against the hero, he is willing to ally himself with an army of alien conquerors, go to any lengths to best his rival, and unleash an anicent death machine of unimaginable power that he cannot control. yet, int the end he does have some scruples -- he may want to rule his new world, but doesn't see any benefit in doing so while nobody is alive. And he must think something about his situation is very, very funny -- he has one fo the greatest maniacal laughs ever. he is #2 on my list of "Anime characters I would not want to take with me to see Wallace and Gromit".

Has anyone hear seen "Full Metal Alchemist"? That appears to have the same fell' date=' though it's still about #20 in my Netflix queue.[/quote']

Yeah, Josh and I have been watching that one. He's started a few threads about it.

Yeah, I guess it DOES have a little bit of a pulp feel to it, though I couldn't put my finger on why.

I recommend it, by the way. Bump it up your queue, if you can.

Yeah, Josh and I have been watching that one. He's started a few threads about it.

Yeah, I guess it DOES have a little bit of a pulp feel to it, though I couldn't put my finger on why.

I recommend it, by the way. Bump it up your queue, if you can.

Ig GoO were still in a position to do anime licenses for BESM, they would need to do Full Metal Alchemist. Not only is it that popular, but unlike a lot of other series they did do there is enormous potential in the setting for original characters and new storylines.

Ig GoO were still in a position to do anime licenses for BESM' date=' they would need to do [i']Full Metal Alchemist[/i]. Not only is it that popular, but unlike a lot of other series they did do there is enormous potential in the setting for original characters and new storylines.

Josh has been doing a lot of the setup to run a Hero game in the FMA world.

He's pretty much settled on the alchemy as a VPP.