Tony Donuts

atlascott

In Spider Robinson's excellent 'Callhan's' books, there is an antagonist character called Tony Donuts, who immediately makes people nervous and afraid of him in a primeval sort of way. He is huge and scary and violent. He makes other around him quake in their boots, and are therefore less than effective in doing basically anything--bluff, fast talk, even normal conversation, they stutter. People tend to acquiesce. This is only in his presence, and the ability to think and act clearly vanishes within a few minutes of his departure. How would you do it? High presence?

Re: Tony Donuts

In Spider Robinson's excellent 'Callhan's' books' date=' there is an antagonist character called Tony Donuts, who immediately makes people nervous and afraid of him in a primeval sort of way. He is huge and scary and violent. He makes other around him quake in their boots, and are therefore less than effective in doing basically anything--bluff, fast talk, even normal conversation, they stutter. People tend to acquiesce. This is only in his presence, and the ability to think and act clearly vanishes within a few minutes of his departure. How would you do it? High presence?[/quote']

High Presence. Maybe a small change enviroment with negatives to INT and PRE based skills, centered on him and always on.

Remember, some, such as the Lady Sally, were immune to the effect.

This seems like both the basis for a Persistent Power (Drain making good sense) but also a Social Limitation. PRE and EGO seem like the main things to drain since they are the main source of resistance to manipulation. However, I think it is also grounds for a Social Disadvantage. After all, if most people are intimidated simply by being near the character, then certain types of interactions do become much more problematic. I would say that a strong menacing aura of violence is worth at least as much as the ex-convict status, along with similar consequences.

Regards,

Brainstorm

Yeah, the guy is a freelance mobster who routinely rapes any woman who catches his eye, and beats men to death routinely with his bare hands if they object. He is an abhorent, evil, stupid but shrewd, walking man-mountain. Definitely social limitations--he can never have a friend. Really, it is his presence as much as his behavior--moreso, whether phenromone or what, it is a power-like ability.

Enervating Aura: Drain INT, EGO, PRE, DEX 1d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1), INT, EGO, PRE, DEX simultaneously (+1) (55 Active Points); Always On (-1/2); Real Cost: 37

I would agree on the high presence and a presence drain

and a high level of very bad for how he got the name "Tony Donuts"

I actually wrote up the major characters from the books, but I borrowed a lot from GURPS Callahans as a starting point.

its really too bad GURPS Callahans is way out of print, thankfully I have a copy signed by Spider and Steve Jacskson here, I ran the alt.callahans webpage for several years and love the books to death

I would agree on the high presence and a presence drain

and a high level of very bad for how he got the name "Tony Donuts"

I actually wrote up the major characters from the books, but I borrowed a lot from GURPS Callahans as a starting point.

its really too bad GURPS Callahans is way out of print, thankfully I have a copy signed by Spider and Steve Jacskson here, I ran the alt.callahans webpage for several years and love the books to death

Dangit! I got all of my Callahan's books (up to Callahan's Key), as well as The Free Lunch, signed by the Man himself at ComiCon a few years ago. Even got to hear him sing Drinking Up A Windfall. Good times. But I forgot to have him sign my copy of GURPS Callahan's!!!