Women in Pulp adventures?

BunnySue

Guest HeroPink!

Re: Women in Pulp adventures?

Emma Peel: She's got the right attitude, and can fight real good, but she's not Pulp-ish at all, so you got to take a little bit from her and a lot from others. Still worth mention.

An' wow is she hot! :eg:

Neither Emma nor her predecessor Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) are really "pulpish" enough in their attitudes or appearence I guess. Leather trousers and vests (Cathy) and pants suits (Emma) look a bit out of place in a pulp game. On the other hand Purdey (Joanna Lumley), with her liking for dresses rather than trousers, might fit fairly well !

For less action-oriented characters, I would suggest mining Agatha Christie novels for ideas. Actually, Agatha herself might make for a fine Pulpish character. She was married to a fighter pilot for her first husband, and her second husband was an archaeologist. She also worked as a nurse during the first World War.

Connie Kurridge

Sheena, Queen of the Jungle

Though not purely "Pulp", the Lady Detective archetype goes back to the late Victorian period, and has several examples from the 20s, 30s and 40s.

The other common period archetype for female adventurers is the aviatrix, or female pilot.

And the high society debutant who goes off on adventures.

Or, if you want to borrow from 19th century dime novels, there's the cowgirl sharpshooter or highwaywoman.

Then there's the real life Hedy Lamarr, a film actress and inventor.

Connie Kurridge

Sheena, Queen of the Jungle

Though not purely "Pulp", the Lady Detective archetype goes back to the late Victorian period, and has several examples from the 20s, 30s and 40s.

The other common period archetype for female adventurers is the aviatrix, or female pilot.

And the high society debutant who goes off on adventures.

Or, if you want to borrow from 19th century dime novels, there's the cowgirl sharpshooter or highwaywoman.

Then there's the real life Hedy Lamarr, a film actress and inventor.

Hedy Lamarr - I did not know about her inventions or patent. Great web article. Very cool. I think she would be a good template for the high society debutant, pretty, brainy, rich, well connected, and wanting adventures in her life.

Rather than a specific woman, this article interested me on women missionaries in general.

Library of Congress

Missionary Emily Hartwell of the Women's Board of Missions with Chinese students, Foochow Mission, China, 1902

One of the striking features of the American foreign missionary force in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries was that women composed about sixty percent of it. Some were missionary wives (most of whom played active roles in the mission), but many were single women missionaries. It may be true that women could find more challenging and satisfying vocations on the foreign mission field than they could at home during these decades.

Hi! I'm looking for fierce' date=' independent female heroes from the late 1930's-early 1940's from fiction and/or real life. People like Lois Lane, Marion Ravenwood (From [i']Raiders of the Lost Ark[/i]), Amelia Earhart, and others. Does anyone have any ideas?

If you want to include a seductress who uses the rampant sexism of a Pulp environment to her advantage as either a heroine or a villian, you could use Mata Hari as a base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mata_Hari

Patricia ?Holm? Simon Templar's GF at the start of the series. She disappeared somewhere around book 12, when the author decided to go with the new flame per story trope.

Another character class, not necessarily a particular person, is the Adventuress. You can read up on this type of person in Space 1889, as she is more well known from Victorian times, though she has appeared much later. Basically the adventuress is a woman of independant means and not too many scruples, who is out to make it any way she can in a man's world. The best example I can think of off hand is Amanda from Highlander. Others might be Margaret from Lost World, Jade from the original Johnny Quest, possibly Jane from the WWII comic strip (if you want to go lighthearted and "spicy").

Here's an article on Amy Thorpe, America's answer to Mata Hari, and her WWII exploits:

http://womenshistory.about.com/library/prm/blamythorpe1.htm

My favorite quotes are:

"Our meetings were very fruitful, and I let him make love to me as often as he wanted, since this guaranteed the smooth flow of political information I needed."

And the classic:

"Wars are not won by respectable methods."

Emma Peal eat your heart out!

bigdamnhero

"As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless, uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?"

Another character class' date=' not necessarily a particular person, is the Adventuress. You can read up on this type of person in Space 1889, as she is more well known from Victorian times, though she has appeared much later. Basically the adventuress is a woman of independant means and not too many scruples, who is out to make it any way she can in a man's world. The best example I can think of off hand is Amanda from Highlander. Others might be Margaret from Lost World, Jade from the original Johnny Quest, possibly Jane from the WWII comic strip (if you want to go lighthearted and "spicy").[/quote']

The Adventuress (a successfull one, anyway) will have an upper class male companion: strong, handsome, rich and stupid. I could never decide whether this auxiliary character is better modeled as a Follower or a DNPC.

The Adventuress (a successfull one' date=' anyway) will have an upper class male companion: strong, handsome, rich and stupid. I could never decide whether this auxiliary character is better modeled as a Follower or a DNPC.[/quote'] Or MAYBE the Adventuress herself will be upper class and the male companion will be lower class; a Soldier of Fortune who she has met or hired, a family retainer who has known her family for years or an old friend fallen upon hard times who is willing to help her. I use this model for at least two "teams" of NPC's in my game with one of the teams being a female archaeologist (based on Lara Croft) and her "companion" being an ex wrestler !