There has always been a Captain Future!

Jhamin

Inspired by the old Golden Age Champions character Captain Future, I've expanded his background into a fixture of my Champs campaign.

Captain Future's schtick was that a group of time travelers from the 39th century had sent agents back across history to "walk the beat" in their assigned timeperiods and prevent other time travels from interfering with history. In each time period the agent went undercover as a hero name Captain Future and used futuristic technology and training to defeat the bad guys of the day while keeping an eye out for time manipulation. Their tagline is "There has always been a Captain Future!"

And there more or less has been.....

Each Captain future covers a 10 year span of history and is made up to look like what people from that period expect a man of the future to be like.

The Capains the PCs have met/are aware of include:

Cptn Future 1890's - An english gentlemen with a Top hat & high tech cane. Rides a clockwork time chair

Cptn Future 1935-1945 - Fishbowl on his head, saturn on his chest, silver lame, rides around in a Chronosphere

Cptn Future 1970s - Blond hair & blue eyes, white bodysuit, master of Biofeedback & can summon a time portal

Cptn Future 1995-2005 - High-tech bodysuit w/lots of onboard computer processing power, has a phased pistol, spends alot of time recalibrating sensory arrays, rides around in a matte black time ship with instant acceleration.

I now find myself needing a new Captain Future

So my question to the Hero Community is: What would the captain future of 2005-2015 look like? What are the schticks that a "modern" man of the future would have?

Re: There has always been a Captain Future!

Unfortunately, think Matrix / Neo.

Black duster & shades. No visible high tech, but can "download" weapons, gadgets, skills and talents at will. Tons of wireless networking, cyberpath abilities, effortlessly takes control of any machine. Lives as much on the net as in the physical world.

He'd be a small featureless floating cube, though he could use holographic technology and force beams to simulate a human form; the future is post-human.

When he did bother to create a body, he'd appear as a slightly chubby woman (or feminine man) of indeterminate ethnicity, probably covered with moving tattoos and piercings (the jewelry would appear to be working electronic devices).

I was thinking more of along the lines of an I-Pod carrying, casual clothes wearing, tattoo (designs not names) having female that would generally use the system (or the heroes) to do the work for her. Very physical in an extreme sports type of way with a little Le Parque thrown in for good measure. Actually will carry only small amounts of tech on her but may steal a page from neo and have it downloaded to her from an orbiting satellite that is straddling the dimensional barrier like most people sit on fences. She would have a vast network of contacts and people that owe her favors much along the same vein as that old tv show 'Stingray'.

I think this really would work best if the Captains are not widely known.

If they are widely known, and people believe that they really are from the future, then whatever they look like will be what people think a guy from the future should look like. (ie if Captain Future, man from the 39th century, shows up and is world-famous in the 1930's with his fishbowl helmet and shiny outfit, people will be asking trenchcoat/nanotech man where his fishbowl and raygun are)

Guest daeudi_454

Well, based on previous incarnations, it seems that people have figured out that it is more than one. And that Captain Future looks like what the people of the time EXPECT someone from the future to look like.

So what recent movies?TV shows have affected our view of the future?

Matrix, Equillibrium, Andromeda., etc.

I would suspect the look would be high banded collars with trenchcoats and radically opposed black and white garments.

The powers are obviously going to be cyber and nanite related.

Make him an emaciated dwarf. He is techinically male, but sterile and with undeveloped genitals (due to environmental estrogens). He has no powers, and no tehnology. He is dressed in a few scraps of filthy cloth. His mission is to make people more hopeful about the future so as to allow him to switch to a more comfortable form.

grey(concrete metallic grey) black(carbon fibre) silver(brushed steel titanium and chrome) and blue(LEDS and neon) are the current future colours.

What daeudi said is true although black and white are the eighties colours for the future( well black white chrome red LEDs and dayglo colours, Rufus from bill and ted has to be the captain future for the eighties by the way)

Costume wise high black coat probably somewhat cassock like underneath he wears a shiny rubber-like shirt his trouser are probably a heavy duty cotton like material in a combat style with utility pockets and sewn in padding.

big boots. he wear s utility belt brimming with high tech gadgets (all brushed steel black plastic and blue LEDS). head gear probably dark spiky hair with coloured tips shaved sides etc. heavy Oakley style sunglasses or goggles perhaps and and hands free earpiece

he also carries a pocket watch which looks archaic until the holographic display comes into life and the refined voice of its artificial intelligence informs him of the situation.

combat gear is two extended automatic pistols(though they may actually be energy weapons) with stainless steel holographic sights and GUN-FU.

as for transport i think your looking at an authority style door i kind of like the idea of one that unfolds like origami ( talk about tesseracts and 4th dimensional space with some fractals thrown in just like on Threshold and your sorted)

Guest daeudi_454

Ooh- I like freakboy's better, but still think it would be a banded collar.

But black and white have been futuristic colors since Metropolis, and every decade since.

But he's dead-on with the blue...

Aeon Flux is a good example, looks great- oh and so does the movie :P

Well' date=' based on previous incarnations, it seems that people have figured out that it is more than one. And that Captain Future looks like what the people of the time EXPECT someone from the future to look like. [/quote']

Even among heros Captain Future tries to keep a semi-low profile. Those with good KS: Superheros have figured it out, but the average guy on the street asks "Who?" when you mention Captain Future.

I would suspect the look would be high banded collars with trenchcoats and radically opposed black and white garments.

The powers are obviously going to be cyber and nanite related.

I like the banded collars, and trenchcoats seem to be the board consensus on the "fashon of the future".

Nanites may well need to be part of his power set. Cyber/Computer/Techno guy is sort of the 90's/new Millenium Captain Future. I'd like to go beyond this schtick if I can. (Computer everything is getting to be a bit pase' IMHO)

grey(concrete metallic grey) black(carbon fibre) silver(brushed steel titanium and chrome) and blue(LEDS and neon) are the current future colours.

What daeudi said is true although black and white are the eighties colours for the future( well black white chrome red LEDs and dayglo colours, Rufus from bill and ted has to be the captain future for the eighties by the way)

Costume wise high black coat probably somewhat cassock like underneath he wears a shiny rubber-like shirt his trouser are probably a heavy duty cotton like material in a combat style with utility pockets and sewn in padding.

big boots. he wear s utility belt brimming with high tech gadgets (all brushed steel black plastic and blue LEDS). head gear probably dark spiky hair with coloured tips shaved sides etc. heavy Oakley style sunglasses or goggles perhaps and and hands free earpiece

he also carries a pocket watch which looks archaic until the holographic display comes into life and the refined voice of its artificial intelligence informs him of the situation.

combat gear is two extended automatic pistols(though they may actually be energy weapons) with stainless steel holographic sights and GUN-FU.

as for transport i think your looking at an authority style door i kind of like the idea of one that unfolds like origami ( talk about tesseracts and 4th dimensional space with some fractals thrown in just like on Threshold and your sorted)

I think Freakboy may well have designed this character for me!

I love the Carbon Black plastic w/blue LED utility belt & holographic targeting weapons.

As for Captain Future 1980's, lets just say that Rufus has indeed influenced me...

Repped and Stolen!

glad you all liked it.

oh and I have a suggestion for eighties captain futures transport

you could use the brilliant white doorway which heralded the arrival of Al in Quantum Leap. it would be perfect, you could even give teh captain a brightly coloured plastic computer to whack occasionally for information.

It all depends on who you would have "drawing" him. I'm imagining him as an impossibly beautiful bishonen in a long white coat, summoning devices as needed in Neo fashion who ethnicity is impossible to determine. If the Captain Futures are allowed to form relationships with people downtime, he could have a particular person he is intensely involved with -- or he might be promiscuous or even bisexual. You'll never know unless you get to really know him.

Here's something else to think about -- who are Captain Future's enemies, and does each one have a different set?

Inspired by the old Golden Age Champions character Captain Future, I've expanded his background into a fixture of my Champs campaign.

{snip}

I now find myself needing a new Captain Future

So my question to the Hero Community is: What would the captain future of 2005-2015 look like? What are the schticks that a "modern" man of the future would have?

I don't think there is just one look/shtick these days. You've got anime, Matrix, post-/trans-humanism, retreaded Star Trek, retreaded Star Wars, etc.

IMO, right now pop-SF is very fragmented. I'd say either choose one and assume it'll outweigh the others in the next ten years, or have Captain Future '05-'15 have a whole bundle of "looks" that he varies between.

Or, pull out something strange (based on good, not pop, SF), and let that "look" gradually pervade society, thereby becoming the "that's what the future looks like" of your world. ;)