AlHazred

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Help Me Populate A Creepy Hotel

Welcome to the Hotel Cthulu... where you don't have to worry about

losing your luggage -- just your mind.

Hmmm... it would be cool to name a hotel like this with something subtly lifted from a horror source.

I would suggest "The Stanley Hotel." ;)

Mr. Nervous.

Average height, average weight, brown hair and eyes, the only thing that stands out about his appearance is just how nervous he looks. He often fails to respond to the name he gave at registration but nobody knows his real name. He is intensely interested in any new people in or around the hotel, but very reluctant to let them see him. He usually pays other guests or staff to spy on new arrivals until he thinks he's safe. Safe from what? Nobody knows but it's clear he believes somebodies after him. He will disappear for days if any hostile force seems to have taken up residence at the hotel. He seems to get about 12 hours warning of any danger to people in the hotel and disappears without trace immediately. How he does this nobody knows. Where he goes nobody even theorises. He obviously has money for bribing staff and paying rent but how much and how he got it is a mystery. There are rumours about what happens when people try to rob him of his cash stash. However no evidence that he has ever been violent or that bad things have happened to those that rob him has ever been found. He is never seen to leave the hotel but was reportedly seen outside it once.

The bad room.

The staff always try to make sure they only rent this room out for genuine guests that want a room to sleep in. Sometimes everywhere else is full or a new staff member isn't told the rules and books it. That's fine as long as the person wants to sleep, write their novel, etc. The only problem is if the room is used to make a deal. It could be drugs, guns, sex, counterfeit money, even something legal (although in this hotel that's rare). Something always goes wrong. Homicide police often head to this room even if the crime occurred in another out of sheer habit.

The Creepy TV

As the PC is channel surfing on the TV in their room, they come across a station showing "The Shining" on a continuous loop. It's not listed on the worn directory card in the room, and it appears to be the only TV in the hotel that does this.

The recurring sound/Things that go *BUMP*

Every night in the dead hours (midnight to 2 or 3 am), as everything is still, you hear a sound like a body or large item falling down the steps. When you go out to investigate, there is nothing there, just as quiet as it had been...

I'm thinking of going through the entries (probably on the Wiki because it's easier) and coming up with more based on varying the initial hook. For instance, instead of the The Creepy TV, what about The Creepy Radio? Or instead of Mr. Nervous, can I come up with a creepy version of Ms. Tranquil (the counterpart to Mr. Nervous)?

Partially, this is a mental exercise to get ready for NaNoWriMo.

• 2 weeks later...

Byron

A mysterious young fellow most people assume is a teenage run away. Remarkably clean-cut and well mannered for a teen of this day and age, he pays his rent on time and doesn't cause trouble, so the hotel staff and the other "guests" generally have no problem with him. No one knows where he gets his money, not that anyone here cares. He owns an impressive collection of swords, knives, polearms, and axes, all of which look too authentic to be cheap replicas. In his bookshelf is a an equally impressive collection of high school year books from different schools around the country and from decades ranging from the 1950s to the 80s and 90s. If leafed through thoroughly enough, you'll find his picture in each and every one of them, looking much the same as he does today!

• 2 weeks later...

He's a rather plain looking man with no true distinguishing features. The PC's only see him in the hallway's though. Walking, with his head down, studying his shoes as he plods along. As he passes the PC's he quickly looks up and gives a quick and insincere smile before dipping his head again and moving on. This seems all well and good, rather run of the mill, until they keep seeing him. Again and again. Always walking down the hall, always studying his shoes, always with the brief, insincere smile before moving on.

• 1 month later...

Security Guard

I am not fully awake. This is from a dream I JUST had....

The security guard is old. Not only does he look old, but if the characters get a look at the hotel's personel records, they know he's over 80. He seems too old for the job, but despite seeming to move slowly, he always makes his rounds, going from one station to another in the building with an old fashioned key-clock. And the staff is completely confident in him. One will mention that he had to kill someone not long ago, another will report that it's said he's killed several intruders over the years, but all accounts exonerate him completely - he's killed, but no one questions that he was always justified, that he did what he had to do at the time.

His eyes are still sharp, and he can move fast when he wants to, you notice.

If you can get into his suite (a Lockpick roll while he's making rounds perhaps) you find one entire room dedicated to small memorials; each little space with photos, perhaps some mementoes in a case, documents and articles from newspapers on the wall and more such in file folders in small cabinets. It is as if each time he's had to kill, he felt he owed it to the deceased to find out who he was, and to remember. Mostly they were crooks, thieves, drunkards, addicts, murderers, but their failings and crimes and character flaws are here recorded dispassionately, along with, in each case, some information regarding their victims and the impact of their crimes. The accounts of where they crossed paths with the Security Guard do not glorify him, but do exonerate him. Often, he seems to have survived by sheer luck against a hardened or desperate criminal, more a fortunate near-victim than a hero. There is room for more, as if he feels certain he will have to kill again.

If both the personal records and these memorials are accurate, the oldest case dates to when the Security Guard was about 4 or 5 years old.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if it's wise to record my dreams here of all places, and when I'm not yet awake even...

Here's a recurring dream I had years ago (yes, recurring; I had a few dreams like this)

There's a secret door in the hotel that nobody seems to notice. If you go through the door, you will go step upon a landing on a staircase. You can go up and down the staircase. If you go up, you will eventually find yourself in a white room. The room has no furniture, but there is a large window. If you look out the window, you'll see a beach near blue water under a clear sky. In the distance, you see people seated in what appears to be an outdoor restaurant. Many people are there, and it appears to be a picnic or a party going on. This is a glimpse of heaven. The room has no door, so you cannot reach heaven in this manner.

I wouldn't recommend going down the stairs. It obviously leads to hell. I've never gone down of course, but I've often seen two unsavory characters coming up to the landing as I went up to view heaven. One fellow was tall and thin, looking somewhat "elvish." He wasn't ugly, but you could see the malice in his eyes. The other was a dwarf, bald and misshapen. I never found out what they did in the mortal world, but I knew they were up to no good....

• 2 weeks later...

Based on an experience during Dreamation 2008 here in Jersey.

As you walk down the hallway, you see a small pile of rubble. From a distance it could just be paper and box fragments, but as you move closer you can see that it looks like pieces of drywall and... concrete? A glance up reveals nothing -- the ceiling tiles are all still in place, and other than the pile of debris the hallway is spotless.

The pile sits on the floor right next to the door to a small conference room. Going into the conference room (or peering through the blinds covering the floor-to-ceiling windows that separate the conference room from the hallway) discloses that the room looks immaculate, except for a window blind wrenched open. It looks for all the world like something at least man-sized forced itself between the slats of the blinds, bending them outwards, except that the window behind them is unbroken.