How would you build this real-world device in Hero terms?

Flames

As a Hero System gadget, how would you build the device described in this CNET article that actually has the ability to selectively make teenagers so uncomfortable that they will not loiter?

http://news.com.com/Whats+the+buzz+Teens+cant+stand+it/2100-11395_3-5974937.html

I'm at a loss to think of the best way to define it. I can imagine that between the OIF (Bulky?) limitation and the limitation Only Affects Teenagers and Young Adults, the cost would be quite low.

Re: How would you build this real-world device in Hero terms?

Mind Control: Cumulative; Single Command: Go Away; Only Affects Some people; IIF

IIF because it's specifically described as small and unobtrusive, and it should be placed in a hard to reach area.

(yeah - lucky me I can still hear high frequencies.. only most adults lose that ability)

Yeah, what they said again. Mind Control Based on CON... likely with an AVLD versus Hearing Flash Defense as well (I can't see how a high ED or PD would make one more resistant to it.

And I hear noises others can't all the time... then again, I think I have an inner ear problem.

Interesting. The mind control/pre attack ideas would certainly make people leave, but the reason they are leaving is becasue they are uncomfortable: they have the choice to stak and start bleeding from the ears: I can't really think how Hero would do this, except by some sort of whacky custom limitation combined with target effecting side effects (but even then; what?)

The best I can come up with ais a hearing flash (AE) or hearing darkness field: coupled with, say one or two negative overall skill levels in the same area. Even, possibly, just the overall negative enskill levels. Basically you can stay there but it would be darned inconvenient and you would have a job concentrating on anything as a result of the buzzing in your ears - but it does not actually do damage as such nor COMPEL you to leave.

Interesting. The mind control/pre attack ideas would certainly make people leave, but the reason they are leaving is becasue they are uncomfortable: they have the choice to stak and start bleeding from the ears: I can't really think how Hero would do this, except by some sort of whacky custom limitation combined with target effecting side effects (but even then; what?)

The best I can come up with ais a hearing flash (AE) or hearing darkness field: coupled with, say one or two negative overall skill levels in the same area. Even, possibly, just the overall negative enskill levels. Basically you can stay there but it would be darned inconvenient and you would have a job concentrating on anything as a result of the buzzing in your ears - but it does not actually do damage as such nor COMPEL you to leave.

The reason I chose Mind Control is there is a Break Out Roll - thus is a person Breaks Out they are welcome to stay, but then the MC Cumulative starts up again until it takes effect, once more prompting them to leave or Break Out of the MC.

The high pitched uncomfortable noise is simply the SFX.

The reason I chose Mind Control is there is a Break Out Roll - thus is a person Breaks Out they are welcome to stay, but then the MC Cumulative starts up again until it takes effect, once more prompting them to leave or Break Out of the MC.

The high pitched uncomfortable noise is simply the SFX.

I get that: a perfectly valid model....to my mind though it would depend on whether the noise is SO upsetting that eventually pretty much anyone would have to leave, or it is just annoying but you could put up with it indefinitely if you were bloody minded enough i.e. is it the mechanic that is controlling whether the PC leaves or the player, given the disadvantage of staying - the MC option does not have a way built in to model the disadvantage of staying other than 'sfx'.

I get that: a perfectly valid model....to my mind though it would depend on whether the noise is SO upsetting that eventually pretty much anyone would have to leave' date=' or it is just annoying but you could put up with it indefinitely if you were bloody minded enough.[/quote']

I suppose a -0 Limitation "Not against masochists and the truly stupid."

I like the idea of using Mind Control. It might not mimic what is actually going on, but it certainly acomplishes the purpose of what is actually going on: you are trying to make certain people go away.

As for masochists and idiots... Mind Control already has built in modifiers to affecting people with conflicting Psych Limits (which can be modified by the GM based on SFX and whatever).

Guest daeudi_454

How about a variation of Dark Champions Disquieting Aura?

That powers description reads as: "When the character wants, he can be pretty eerie and frightening- just being near him is enough to disturb and unnerve people."

Mosquito: Change Environment 8" radius, -1 to Normal Hearing PER Rolls, -4 PRE, Multiple Combat Effects, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (67 Active Points); Limited Power Power Only works on those under 30 (-1 1/2), IIF Immobile (-1 1/4), No Range (-1/2), Limited Power Not vs characters with Hearing Flash Defense (-1/2)

I would probably build the device with the Interrogation Skill. It encourages people to leave through a means of torture; it doesn't force them to leave.

Incidently I would wonder about the legality of the real-world device. Personally if the thing affected me I would probably destroy it in self-defense.

Guest daeudi_454

Incidently I would wonder about the legality of the real-world device. Personally if the thing affected me I would probably destroy it in self-defense.

Funny- today we worry about the legality of deterring kids who break the law.

Not any different than playing annoying music, and perfectly legal.

Intimidation is used to get information, not create an effect.

I would probably build the device with the Interrogation Skill. It encourages people to leave through a means of torture; it doesn't force them to leave.

Well, just change the Mind Control command to "You would feel better if you left the area." or something else that encourages but doesn't outright force.

I'd vote for the Change Environment method.

I'd also vote with Presdigitator Smash the Thing!

Imagine if instead of "annoying young people" it made old people buy things.......

Or one that could make you "Vote for X"

This thing attacks all people who can hear it whether or not they are breaking any laws

They have that Cranky Old Music to drive teenagers out of shopping malls already, people these days just seem to accept that like sheep.

It's extremely annoying when all you want is to actually shop, or eat.

I haven't been a teenager for 25+ years..........

I wish that were an option. But I just don't have the time to bash in all my neighbor's stereo that plays mariachi music from his living room while he's out in the parking lot washing is car FOR FOUR HOURS!!! and still have time to snip the wires on all those cars going by with the bass turned up so high it's a wonder their windows don't shatter (while the ones on the buildings they pass occasionally do).

Any way we can customize the Mosquito so that it's directional and sound sensitive?

I wish that were an option. But I just don't have the time to bash in all my neighbor's stereo that plays mariachi music from his living room while he's out in the parking lot washing is car FOR FOUR HOURS!!! and still have time to snip the wires on all those cars going by with the bass turned up so high it's a wonder their windows don't shatter (while the ones on the buildings they pass occasionally do).

Any way we can customize the Mosquito so that it's directional and sound sensitive?

Hmm. Yeah, but does your neighbor's music simply annoy your sensibilities, or does it create actual physical discomfort bordering on pain? One might argue that it is difficult to distinguish or prove one way or another, but since the device is essentially marketed as producing the latter.... :)

how about a 1 pip energy blast area effect radius, with a couple multiples on the radius, make it stun only and NND (flash defense hearing or not being able to hear high frequencies, being the defense). It wouldn't really hurt them but it would be annoying. Of course it would have to be continuous and uncontrollable. Just a thought.

Hmm. Yeah' date=' but does your neighbor's music simply annoy your sensibilities, or does it create actual physical discomfort bordering on pain? One might argue that it is difficult to distinguish or prove one way or another, but since the device is essentially marketed as producing the latter.... :)[/quote']

It causes mental anguish, which is a form of pain recognized by America's legal system. The major issue about the music is the fact that in most cases where it bothers me, it's in my own home. The guy at the conviencience store isn't following the kids home and planting Mosquitos outside their doors.