17thc Sailling ship

Curufea

Re: 17thc Sailling ship

My web browser (Mozilla) will act as a viewer for gifs (the images you can't see) as well as most other image formats. Just clicking on the link brings up a dialog with options to "download" or "view with the default application (Mozilla)".

I'm like 90% sure Internet Explore will view images too. You may have to goof around with the default app settings though. Or just download Mozilla (or Firefox :P)

Wow!

I wanted 300DPI because photocopies are a bit dodgy on line quality and I didn't want to miss stuff. Feel free to lower the resolution down to acceptable levels :)

When I get home after work today, I'll put up the external side view as well.

There are other ships in this book, larger (up to 40 guns) and smaller as well..

I need the Derfflinger for this Sunday's session (raid on a pirate ship) - but if I have time, I'd like to extrapolate out the lower decks. As you can see in the Berlin side view - there exist hull dimensions as well. The book is almost perfect for a scale modeller. I haven't uploaded the hull profiles for the other ships as they are of limited interest, but they give a good idea on how large the lower decks would be.

I just wish I had the later 18thC Napoleonic ships - they got up to 120 guns.

If interested the books I've got copies of are-

Schiffsrisse zur schiffbaugeschichte : Hollandische und Deutsche-schiffe 1597 bis 1680

(vol 1)

Which has the three I've put up so far and a few more, and

Schiffsrisse zur schiffbaugeschichte : Englische und Amerikanische Schiffe 1577 bis 1810

(vol 2)

Both by Robert Loef Verlag

They're about 30 pages long each and other than the diagrams just have a couple of paragraphs about each ship. Which, if I could read German, would no doubt be interesting :)

So the important lesson here for internet searching - try foreign language words :)

BTW, did everyone try a link I posted a while ago for a paper model on a Russian website for a 3 mast ship (the Mary Rose). It works - I made the model - but the site is slow. It's here-

http://jtdigest.narod.ru/dig1_01/rouse.htm

I found it via this website-

http://www.spacestation42.com/pt-boats.html

I just had a look at the Mary Rose site then - that's not the model I built. They seem to have posted a better version. Possibly this version will be easier to construct...

Whoops - I made the Arabella, not the Mary Rose, here-

http://jtdigest.narod.ru/dig4_01/museum.htm

I heartily recommend a book by J. Guilmartin titled "Galleys & Galleons" (which is a VERY DIFFERENT book from his "Gunpowder and Galleys") which discusses the technology developments around this era ... this late 17th-C flute is just about at the end of the time period he discusses.

(Gunpowder and Galleys is much more focussed on the evolution of galleys, oar-driven ships. Also a very good book, though not so glitzy, but a different focus. Galleys are NOT transoceanic ships.)

Not only do the Napoleonic ships mount more guns, the later guns are bigger and have more ship-killing power.

• 3 months later...

OOOoooooooo.......aaaaahhhhhhhhhh1

Normally I would say "maps map maps maps maps...."

But I think "deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans...." is better in this case....

so....

deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans deckplans :D

• 1 year later...

While this is still near the top, I should show off one of my favorite Dutch tourist attractions: http://www.bataviawerf.nl/en/index.html. They have a reconstruction (that's 1:1, folks) of the East Indiaman Batavia, the original ship having sunk on its way to Java in 1636. There's a virtual tour, and also information on the reconstruction-in-progress of De Ruyter's flagship 7 Provincien.

The Adventure Galley wasn't really a galley. It had oars' date=' but the hull was a much more seaworthy design than what is usually referred to as a galley. It had three permanent masts too, rather than one mast that was taken down for combat.[/quote']

It was what shipwrights of the period considered the latest in galley designs, esentially a light frigate with sweeps.

I really do understand the difference, and it's discussed in much more detail in Kidds biography Pirate Hunter.

Classical galleys... you're totally right... but they were pretty close to gone by the 17th c.

It was what shipwrights of the period considered the latest in galley designs, esentially a light frigate with sweeps.

I really do understand the difference, and it's discussed in much more detail in Kidds biography Pirate Hunter.

Classical galleys... you're totally right... but they were pretty close to gone by the 17th c.

They stayed around for quite a while in the Mediterranean though. They were still good warships as long as land was in sight when the weather started roughing up. There was some battle in the 1700s between Italians and Turks that involved several galleys. Can't think of the name right now.