The Blood

nHammer

Everybody remember The Blood and Dr McQuark?

OK, good..Now forget Dr. McQuark..

Has anybody worked on bringing The Blood to 5th Ed.? I've done a quick search of the boards and haven't seen anything.

I've been giving it a lot of thought, and I want to involve them in a new campaign. I'm going to start writing up The Blood's origin and rework some of the characters. One example is Affrighter will become The Frightner. His one psi power will be a Mental Paralysis link with a continuis ego attack, may also link an ego drain with them. Basicly he's giving people horrible visions that's really screwing their mind up.

Anyway, if anybody has done some work on The Blood for 5th please share if you want.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Blood

I suspect that both publishing rights and the fact that the Blood don't really qualify as an 'organization' or even a 'team' will keep them from being re-published, but a lot of unpublishable characters get rewrites on these boards. I've considered doing it myself, but the essential character trait that best defines me is 'procrastination', so I don't hold out much hope.

nHammer, this isn't exactly what you're looking for; but Adrian Ownby posted a nice 4E HERO adventure, "Blood Rites," featuring all-new Blood characters based on Aaron Allston's original characters and the Blood homeworld of Ean. That might be of some use to you.

Adrian put it up for free download on the old Red October BBS, the archives from which are now hosted on Shelley Chrystal Mactyre's website. You can get it by going here and clicking on BLOOD2.ZIP.

Has anyone bothered to ask him about his plans' date=' if any, for the Blood, the Circle, and METE?[/quote']

The Blood were originally part of Aaron Allston's Strike Force campaign world, and they and the Circle have been developed by him over the years within the context of his campaign. He has reportedly written several books' worth of expansion material for that world, and is still looking into a way to publish it one day. As of the last word I heard from him a few months ago, nothing close to firm has been established for that yet. :(

I think that Hero Games may have the rights to METE, since that org was published in the first edition Champions Universe sourcebook, although not with all the alien characters such as the Mighty Pincus. Aaron may still own those excluded characters, at least the ones like Pincus who were part of his campaign.

My sig contains links to a tribute to the Circle.

I hope you don't mind, but I brought that tribute to Aaron's attention a few months back. He responded: "Thanks for passing that along. I'm certainly pleased that my work is still playing a role out there in the Hero gaming audience. (The Circle is now 22 years old -- old enough to drink legally. Yikes.)"

I hope you don't mind' date=' but I brought that tribute to Aaron's attention a few months back. He responded: "Thanks for passing that along. I'm certainly pleased that my work is still playing a role out there in the Hero gaming audience. (The Circle is now 22 years old -- old enough to drink legally. Yikes.)"[/quote']

I'm glad he was OK with it. :)

I have a full write up of each character with the word Circle changed to Maru in case he ever objected. Strange but true.

LL' date=' have you asked him if he plans on re-working his great setting for 5th ed? I think it'd sell well :D[/quote']

Before Cybergames.com bought the rights to Hero Games, HG had been planning on a multi-volume update of the Strike Force world using 4E HERO, and Aaron Allston was working on outlines for them. There's a lot of stuff already written for it, but I don't know whether Aaron has updated any of it to 5E yet. The jump from 4E to 5E wouldn't be that hard, though.

Aaron has considered various options for publication. I would imagine that if it did come out under HERO System it would be for 5E. Since current Hero Games management isn't looking to publish it directly themselves, Aaron has to explore alternatives; but that would take a lot of time from the parts of his career that actually earn him a decent living. ;)

I should probably make it clear that I'm not really part of Aaron Allston's circle. I've corresponded with him a bit as many fans have (and found him to be gracious and generous), but I'm not privy to his decision-making process.

I should probably make it clear that I'm not really part of Aaron Allston's circle. I've corresponded with him a bit as many fans have (and found him to be gracious and generous), but I'm not privy to his decision-making process.

Well, there was that one lost night in Paris...

I'm glad he was OK with it. :)

I have a full write up of each character with the word Circle changed to Maru in case he ever objected. Strange but true.

Since every character on your website is of your creation, and the Circle background is only loosely used as the basis for your work, I'm not surprised that he has no problem. And it's not like he's tried to copyright the word "Circle" for all gaming... this is Aaron Allston, not Kevin Siembieda. :eg:

The Blood were originally part of Aaron Allston's Strike Force campaign world, and they and the Circle have been developed by him over the years within the context of his campaign. He has reportedly written several books' worth of expansion material for that world, and is still looking into a way to publish it one day. As of the last word I heard from him a few months ago, nothing close to firm has been established for that yet. :(

Maybe he could look at a third party publisher such as Gold Rush or Blackwyrm Games. Both of them have published high quality suppliments for Champions.

The Blood are the superpowered descendants of a prehistoric wizard named Azor, who took his people to an alternate Earth (called Ean) approx. 20,000 years ago. There's some complicated backstory, but essentially, Azor turned out to be evil, his descendants banished/destroyed him and rule their world as demigods. A few decades ago, a small number of them crossed back to Earth for various personal and political reasons.

I happen to have my old skool "The Blood & Dr. McQuark" (circa 1985) here at my desk. They aren't really an 'organization' at all, so much as a group of supers with a common origin and blood ties. Several of the 11 characters presented are dead and only appear for reference purposes, and the rest are split between independant heroes, independant villains and a couple of neutrals.

I think that Hero Games may have the rights to METE, since that org was published in the first edition Champions Universe sourcebook, although not with all the alien characters such as the Mighty Pincus. Aaron may still own those excluded characters, at least the ones like Pincus who were part of his campaign.

I thought METE was written up in the Alien Sourcebook. Which I now forget the title to...

Edit: Alien Enemies, duh!

Yup. The Blood serve the same purpose as the Blood of Amber from Zelzany or the Vandaleurs from Arcane Adversaries (the Blood's natural successor in the CU). They allow you to tie heroes and villains together in a family, giving you a chance to have a more interesting dynamic as the characters interact. Why does Captain Nomad never just kill the Red Scorpion? Well, they are cousins...

You could run a very interesting campaign where most of the PCs were Vandaleurs and Sylvestris.

Yep, METE is written up Alien Enemies, but that's a 4th ed. version of the material that originally appeared in "The Circle and METE". As it happens, I also have Alien Enemies ready to hand... I'd dug out all of my old Champions supplements looking for inspiration about a month ago... ;)

Yup. The Blood serve the same purpose as the Blood of Amber from Zelzany or the Vandaleurs from Arcane Adversaries (the Blood's natural successor in the CU). They allow you to tie heroes and villains together in a family, giving you a chance to have a more interesting dynamic as the characters interact. Why does Captain Nomad never just kill the Red Scorpion? Well, they are cousins...

You could run a very interesting campaign where most of the PCs were Vandaleurs and Sylvestris.

They make a good source of rivals for heroic PCs, too. Reading through the material on Ean, I see a lot of parallels to White Wolf's Exalted. Possibly also The First from CrossGen Comics. Even the 'heroic' Blood are prone to arrogance and elitism, which can make for fun RP moments of the "I really want to punch this guy, but technically he's helping me defeat Ripper at the moment..." variety.