The Blood

nHammer

Re: The Blood

Well let's see... Aaron can take a few months and update and publish a new Strike Force/Blood/Circle book or he can take that time to write a new Star Wars novel. One will pay him $3' date='000 [pdfs would pay even less'] and the other will pay him $15,000. Which would you choose? :)

Both. I'd choose to get some volunteers to do a bit of the character updates. I don't think much of the fluff part needs a major update. Take a day to do some research and find some good people to help. I honestly don't think it's a major undertaking.

Of course this is just an outsiders opinion. He may very well, for whatever reason, not be able to do this.

While having this stuff updated would be nice, I can live without it, or just updated myself.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nHammer, this isn't exactly what you're looking for; but Adrian Ownby posted a nice 4E HERO adventure, "Blood Rites," featuring all-new Blood characters based on Aaron Allston's original characters and the Blood homeworld of Ean. That might be of some use to you.

Adrian put it up for free download on the old Red October BBS, the archives from which are now hosted on Shelley Chrystal Mactyre's website. You can get it by going here and clicking on BLOOD2.ZIP.

Awesome

Thanks LL, IOU REP

QM

• 1 year later...

I was recently trying to write more updated character pages for The Blood, and I was having a problem with Sala. Firstly her "earthquake" power doesn't add up (which is only along the ground worth?) Secondly, it's a 30D6 EB explosion with no range! She only has 15 body and no defenses and no personal immunity. Wouldn't any use of her power damage HER, and most likely kill her?

Considering when it was made (3rd Edition Champions), those Advantages might not have existed. Also, since she's not "Along The Ground" the EB might only have affected buildings and the like, and ignored her.

I'd recommend rebuilding in a manner that seems fair and logical to you.

I was recently trying to write more updated character pages for The Blood' date=' and I was having a problem with Sala. Firstly her "earthquake" power doesn't add up (which is only along the ground worth?) Secondly, it's a 30D6 EB explosion with no range! She only has 15 body and no defenses and no personal immunity. Wouldn't any use of her power damage HER, and most likely kill her?[/quote']

Note that Sala also has Flight. If the earthquake is only along the ground, all she has to do is hover a couple of meters above it (close enough to use a No Range Power on the ground below her).

Seems like cheating to me to use a limitation to get the effects of an advantage. Might as well make a gun with "only damages bad guys" as a limitation' date=' then go around shooting everyone to see who dies.[/quote']

Given that the bad guys can also just fly and also avoid the damage, I don't see the real problem here.

Let's say you have a light-controlling character who has Flash Defense vs. Sight. Now, that character has a no-range AOE light burst that is so bright, it not only blinds you (Flash) but also causes physical pain (NND) if you don't have some protection (Flash Defense vs. Sight). Since that light-based character has Flash Defense vs. Sight, do you consider *that* cheating as well?

That's pretty much the way I look at it. Having an attack Power with a built-in way for anyone with the appropriate ability to avoid its effects, while spending Character Points to give the Power's user that ability, is IMO not fundamentally different from buying the attack Power with an additional Advantage so it won't hurt the user.

I think if I were building Sala under the current Hero model, I'd be inclined to give her a choice of areas of effect. A radius with PI or a Hole in the Middle would be one option, but a Cone away from her also seems to meet the effects. A Line seems less likely. Other than a Radius, most no range AoE's can logically be targeted to begin in an adjacent space, just like any HTH attack can be used against a target in an adjacent space.

I think if I were building Sala under the current Hero model' date=' I'd be inclined to give her a choice of areas of effect. A radius with PI or a Hole in the Middle would be one option, but a Cone away from her also seems to meet the effects. A Line seems less likely. Other than a Radius, most no range AoE's can logically be targeted to begin in an adjacent space, just like any HTH attack can be used against a target in an adjacent space.[/quote']

I like it. It gives her some subtlety and control.