The Blood

nHammer

Re: The Blood

Yep' date=' METE is written up Alien Enemies, but that's a 4th ed. version of the material that originally appeared in "The Circle and METE". As it happens, I also have Alien Enemies ready to hand... I'd dug out all of my old Champions supplements looking for inspiration about a month ago... ;)[/quote']

I loved the cover of "The Circle and METE" Ebonfire and ...Silverwraith? Were really good looking character designs.

And who can forget the Mighty Pinchus!

They did a good job updating the 3rd edition stuff to 4th and I think DOJ has done a good job of updating the 4th to 5th. Somethings I'd do differently, no one is perfect.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since you asked, I walked all the way into the next room and dug up my copy of The Circle and METE. You're thinking of Moonsilver, I believe.

Generally, I've been in favor of the updates, too. Though I admit that I'm a child of the Big Blue Book, and all of my old 3rd edition supplements are the products of eBay, so I don't really have much to say about that set of changes. But, yeah, I tend to like the changes to the 5th ed. CU. Though I still miss Solitaire.

Well, since you asked, I walked all the way into the next room and dug up my copy of The Circle and METE. You're thinking of Moonsilver, I believe.

Generally, I've been in favor of the updates, too. Though I admit that I'm a child of the Big Blue Book, and all of my old 3rd edition supplements are the products of eBay, so I don't really have much to say about that set of changes. But, yeah, I tend to like the changes to the 5th ed. CU. Though I still miss Solitaire.

Moonsilver! That's the one. He had a 15 Dex and a 15d6 attack right? He was scary...I'd never seen someone built that way before. I was used to 18-30 Dex and 12d6 attacks. IIRC his defenses weren't much either, he was a nutjob with a huge attack and little else. Rebuilding his sanity was fun in the mystic campaign we ran...

So, I'm guessing that for some reason, the Blood has a propensity for progeny? Or at least a predisposition to proliferate purposefully amongst the people?

No, seriously. Do they have a ton of offspring, or is it just a plot hook to be tossed out every now and then?

Their Godlike "All Father" Azor, was the progenitor he led his people from Earth to their home world. His decendants ruled as a noble class over the non superpowered human chattle, IIRC. The Blood spent centuries building a society there after he disappeared. They live in a feudal like system complete with magic IIRC the Blood them selves, those who have Azor's blood in them and thus have superpowers detected as Mutants and were quite longlived. A family broke the rules and came to Earth and over the generations they were here had children. They act like a disfunctional family here. Again, IIRC I don't have my book with me.

So, I'm guessing that for some reason, the Blood has a propensity for progeny? Or at least a predisposition to proliferate purposefully amongst the people?

No, seriously. Do they have a ton of offspring, or is it just a plot hook to be tossed out every now and then?

It's not so much as they have a ton of offspring as the Blood have 200+ year life spans -- so they tend to produce a lot of children (all of whom will live long lives as well), given enough time. Oh, and their children will express various powers as well (the basic Blood power set is Teleport, RKA, and Telepathy).

As far as I know' date=' the Blood are still owned by Aaron Allston. He'd be the one to ask about 5th Edition versions. As such, I'm not sure if DOJ would allow 5th Edition character sheets posted here.[/quote']

Maybe I didn't make it completely clear. I was looking more for fan interpretation of The Blood in 5th ED format. I really don't need character sheets. I got almost 20 years experience with Champions, I can remake the characters myself.

I'm looking more to update The Blood in the Champions Universe. Full blown character updates not necessary, but a few ideas on how people(if anybody did) update them.

nHammer, this isn't exactly what you're looking for; but Adrian Ownby posted a nice 4E HERO adventure, "Blood Rites," featuring all-new Blood characters based on Aaron Allston's original characters and the Blood homeworld of Ean. That might be of some use to you.

Adrian put it up for free download on the old Red October BBS, the archives from which are now hosted on Shelley Chrystal Mactyre's website. You can get it by going here and clicking on BLOOD2.ZIP.

I have it already, though haven't gone over it yet, but thanks for the heads up.:thumbup:

Has anyone bothered to ask him about his plans' date=' if any, for the Blood, the Circle, and METE?[/quote']

Come to think of it, I don't have the Circle and Mete book, and haven't really spent time looking at it. A buddy of mine has it. Is there a connection with The Blood?

As for as my plans. Frightner(Affrightner) has a plan that will mess up most of Millinium City's citizens. That will allow him and a few others to take what they want. Also one of the player character will turn out to be of the Blood.

Aaron has considered various options for publication. I would imagine that if it did come out under HERO System it would be for 5E. Since current Hero Games management isn't looking to publish it directly themselves, Aaron has to explore alternatives; but that would take a lot of time from the parts of his career that actually earn him a decent living. ;)

Personally I think Hero Games is making a mistake NOT publishing this stuff.

Come to think of it, I don't have the Circle and Mete book, and haven't really spent time looking at it. A buddy of mine has it. Is there a connection with The Blood?

Same universe/setting. Otherwise... not really.

As for as my plans. Frightner(Affrightner) has a plan that will mess up most of Millinium City's citizens. That will allow him and a few others to take what they want. Also one of the player character will turn out to be of the Blood.

Ahh... Okor the Affrighter ("he who affrights"), a favorite villain.

affrighter.jpg

Personally, I'd love to see Aaron develop the Strikeforce universe as a series of PDFs done through Hero, with conversion notes in the back for M&M (as there are many players who would like that as well). That way illustrations could be full-color and it could be in multiple volumes.

A format I'd love to see is to have the PDFs look similar to the old Marvel RPG's Marvel Universe supplements. Basically, detailed character write-ups that could be put in a binder like a universe encyclopedia. It's something I've played with for my world and think it'd work well for an Official Handbook to the Strike Force Universe ;)

Personally, I'd love to see Aaron develop the Strikeforce universe as a series of PDFs done through Hero, with conversion notes in the back for M&M (as there are many players who would like that as well). That way illustrations could be full-color and it could be in multiple volumes.

A format I'd love to see is to have the PDFs look similar to the old Marvel RPG's Marvel Universe supplements. Basically, detailed character write-ups that could be put in a binder like a universe encyclopedia. It's something I've played with for my world and think it'd work well for an Official Handbook to the Strike Force Universe ;)

This is a great idea Sketchpad. Although I usually prefer actual books (as opposed to PDFs) I'd be first in line to purchase Strikeforce books, PDFs or not.

Everybody remember The Blood and Dr McQuark?

OK, good..Now forget Dr. McQuark..

Has anybody worked on bringing The Blood to 5th Ed.? I've done a quick search of the boards and haven't seen anything.

Anyway, if anybody has done some work on The Blood for 5th please share if you want.

I haven't done any write-ups, but the Blood are basically my version of the Inhumans.

Personally I think Hero Games is making a mistake NOT publishing this stuff.

It's a major mistake for Hero Games to spend any of its money publishing books of characters they do not own the rights to. There's enough of that hastle with 1E through 4E characters.

Aaron makes good money writing Star Wars and Terminator novels, and he also has plenty of artistic friends to supply needed art. If he wants the material published he can come up with the few thousand dollars to do it himself, IMO.

That could be a prob ... especially since Aaron's world seems much more rich than the current CU

Aaron's players helped to make his world rich. Aaron is a fine game writer but he was blessed with having some creative players over the years. Strike Force was a conjoined effort between many people to make an interesting campaign world. The CU suffers from needing to not be original and needing to placate old-timers who want to see the same character published through all 5 editions. The CU could have been much more interesting if it has just moved on rather then forcing itself to rehash 24 year old concepts over and over for old-timers, IMO.

It's a major mistake for Hero Games to spend any of its money publishing books of characters they do not own the rights to. There's enough of that hastle with 1E through 4E characters.

Aaron makes good money writing Star Wars and Terminator novels, and he also has plenty of artistic friends to supply needed art. If he wants the material published he can come up with the few thousand dollars to do it himself, IMO.

I don't give a crap who publishes it. There seems to be a bit of interest in these books (The Blood..Strikeforce). I can't imagine it would be that much of an effort to update them and publish them in PDF form (for a price of course).

I don't give a crap who publishes it. There seems to be a bit of interest in these books (The Blood..Strikeforce). I can't imagine it would be that much of an effort to update them and publish them in PDF form (for a price of course).

Well let's see... Aaron can take a few months and update and publish a new Strike Force/Blood/Circle book or he can take that time to write a new Star Wars novel. One will pay him $3,000 [pdfs would pay even less] and the other will pay him $15,000. Which would you choose? :)

The CU suffers from needing to not be original and needing to placate old-timers who want to see the same character published through all 5 editions. The CU could have been much more interesting if it has just moved on rather then forcing itself to rehash 24 year old concepts over and over for old-timers' date=' IMO.[/quote']

Agreed 100% :)