Has Anyone Done......

ApocalypseZero

a Modern Fantasy or a SuperHero Fantasy game at all? I know, most of you might be scratching your heads at what I am meaning, so I'll explain.

Modern Fantasy, or more like Shadowrun, in a way. Something set at least to current technology levels or beyond (into Star Hero levels) but also incorporated the aspects of Fantasy, like Wizards, Dragons, Elves, Orcs, Magic, etc. Fantasy Hero meets Star Hero.

SuperHero Fantasy is something I'm not sure of even being the correct title for what I am thinking, but comes off as the easiest to understand. Inspired by such things as InuYasha, Exalted RPG, and such, the game would be all the makings of a classic Fantasy setting, but then ramped up with SuperHero styled powers. Maybe not so direct with the hero goodness (no SuperKnight or BatSquire, etc.) but something more like Mystical Training, Godly/Supernatural Blessings, etc. I guess this is more of an outlook as 'Exalted but not White Wolf'. I really liked the idea of the game, but the system threw me.

Well, I'd like to hear from anyone who may have done such a thing. I don't really want HERO Exalted or HERO Shadowrun, but more naturally built games that have this 'genre' feel to them.

Re: Has Anyone Done......

a Modern Fantasy or a SuperHero Fantasy game at all? I know, most of you might be scratching your heads at what I am meaning, so I'll explain.

Modern Fantasy, or more like Shadowrun, in a way. Something set at least to current technology levels or beyond (into Star Hero levels) but also incorporated the aspects of Fantasy, like Wizards, Dragons, Elves, Orcs, Magic, etc. Fantasy Hero meets Star Hero.

SuperHero Fantasy is something I'm not sure of even being the correct title for what I am thinking, but comes off as the easiest to understand. Inspired by such things as InuYasha, Exalted RPG, and such, the game would be all the makings of a classic Fantasy setting, but then ramped up with SuperHero styled powers. Maybe not so direct with the hero goodness (no SuperKnight or BatSquire, etc.) but something more like Mystical Training, Godly/Supernatural Blessings, etc. I guess this is more of an outlook as 'Exalted but not White Wolf'. I really liked the idea of the game, but the system threw me.

Well, I'd like to hear from anyone who may have done such a thing. I don't really want HERO Exalted or HERO Shadowrun, but more naturally built games that have this 'genre' feel to them.

The closest I have come to this is Silent Mobius Zeta.

http://surbrook.devermore.net/smz/silentmobius.html

Superheroic Fantasy, I was playing with the thought of doing something along these lines a while back... don't laught, it was something like Diablo II HERO... yeah, if you think about it, these guys (and girls) in the game go toe on toe with demon badasses and survive, have superpowers (sort of) and are all not "normal" people. You even have superheroic archetypes, the brick (paladin/babarian), energy blaster (Sorceres/Amazon), martial artist (Amazon/Assasine), patriot (paladin), mystic (Necromancer) and mr. metamorph wiht animal forms (druid)

They all are induviduals with "super" powers... played more like a superhero-game with threats to the kingdom in form of the demonic hords the superheros have to work together, fighting different evil baddies.

Well I worked on it and lost my group except one person... and playing a game like this with this theme and only one player... not such a great idea

my group plays Superhero/Scifi/Ninja/Fantasy all the time.

Considering that our current campaign was inspired by Final Fantasy, where our characters posses Chi powers and magic spells and technology and tend to fight with melee weapons, well lets just say it doesn't resemble any of the stereotype genres most people stick with.

Well' date=' I'd like to hear from anyone who may have done such a thing. I don't really want HERO Exalted or HERO Shadowrun, but more naturally built games that have this 'genre' feel to them.[/quote']

One of the longest running (and funnest to run) campaigns I ever ran was a modern day fantasy game set in New Orleans. It was a "dark" fantasy, importing elements of horror; but was mostly going after the feel and tone of books like Mercedes Lackey's Bedlam Bard, Serrated Edge, and Diana Tregarde novels.

The PCs were (mostly) normal people built on 50+50 points - a few weird talents and one character was almost a spellcaster (he knew a lot about magic and I allowed him to use that skills to whip up the occasional bit of ritual magic).

I seen that thread Enforcer just today. I thought the idea of the 'Champions' being converted to Fantasy HERO was sort of along the same lines I was thinking.

The more I think of SuperHeroic Fantasy, I do tend to feel like the only 'explainations' for powers are either Magic Weapons, Magic Empowering (gifts/boons granted), or by simply Magic Spell. It all seems to fall back on itself a little. Of course, the more I watch my collection of Chinese movies and all my wife's InuYasha, I think that showcasing the powers are 'Martial Arts' is another option.

I just really don't want someone thinking they need to have a Knight that wears spandex. Although, my ideas also have me thinking either 150-200 pts character builds (need some testing though). I've also thought about and gathered a bunch of information on the Confrontation/Ragnarok setting of Rackham Miniatures for this idea.

I really did like the way Ninja Scroll (first/movie) portrayed the powers of everyone. Even though Jubei seemed to only be an expert swordsman, there were Snake Tattoos (Images that Damage), the Blind Swordsman, even the Electric attacks with the string. That sort of 'mysticism' is what I am looking for in my vision of Fantasy. In a way, I can see this all being done simply by just upping the points of characters for a standard game. My problem is questioning how one gets the powers. That is were I am stumbling on.

I really did like the way Ninja Scroll (first/movie) portrayed the powers of everyone. Even though Jubei seemed to only be an expert swordsman' date=' there were Snake Tattoos (Images that Damage), the Blind Swordsman, even the Electric attacks with the string. That sort of 'mysticism' is what I am looking for in my vision of Fantasy. In a way, I can see this all being done simply by just upping the points of characters for a standard game. My problem is questioning how one gets the powers. That is were I am stumbling on.[/quote']

Well, in NS, I suspect many of them where "strange chi" techniques, which are akin to magic.

Oh, and here:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsanime/animechar.html#NS

the cast of Ninja Scroll for HERO.