When (that super hero) won you over

Hermit

One interesting thing I've noticed after all these "Best" "Worst" fight threads is, intermixed, are comments about some best moments period for a super hero, when he (or she) really stood out. One example was the mention of Hercules swallowing his pride when it was pointed out he was about to break a little Thor fan's heart with his boasting on how he whupped the Thundergod.... and so he reverses things and cheers the tyke tremendously.

That, in my mind, stands out as a moment more than most when I found myself appreciating the Lion of Olympus more than any other.

Some heroes we just like, and others, well, they have to 'do' something that makes us admire them when we before were undecided.

It can be as simple as a stuntman in a fancy special effects suit taking a deep breath and attacking a REAL Demon to save his friends despite the certain knowledge he may get plastered, or more touching and drawn out like a certain web crawler visiting a kid with leukemia.

So what moments in comics won you over for what characters?

Re: When (that super hero) won you over

For spider-man it was the first Ultimate Spider-Man trade paperback. I've read comics of his off and one, and sorta liked the character, but never enough to buy his comic (other than one shots here and there). There was a lot of the same thing I had problems with in the movies way to much "World dumps on Peter" stuff. I found the balance between the pathos and the hero in Ultimate Spidey to be much more to my taste, and for the fist time in my life, I find myself enjoying the character.

Much could be said for the FF. The ultimate FF is the first time I have really read the characters. Every time I tried to get into the FF before something drove me away (usualy the art, I hate both Ditko, and Byrne) or something about the story that just made no sense to me, because I hadn't been reading the comics, or they go bankrupt (again). I don't want that kind of stuff in my comics, I want to see my heroes go out and trash bozos.

For Juggernaut it was when a fire department was trying the high pressure hoses to knock him off his feet, and he is admiring their courage while reflecting on the futility of their actions.

Reenforced by his first meeting with Brian Braddock.

"You the local Good Guy?"

"I'm Captain Britian!"

"Pleasedtameetch! Nice name! Spiffy outfit! Now if you'll excuse me --"

Cain tried to be a gentleman. Brian had ample opportunity to fly away without getting the smack down of his carreer, but it wasn't to be.

Guest Suleyman Rashid

When the Qwardians gave a raving, psychotic madman a yellow power ring. After passing on the news to the JLA that the bad guy had all of Kyle's powers, just yellow, the JLA were all "Okay, he's a madman, let's go kick his butt already".

Kyle stopped them and said something to the effect of "Wait... did you know I can split atoms with this thing?" He intentionally stopped his teammates from just diving in, in an effort to safeguard not only them, but every possible innocent bystander within the range of a potential atomic explosion.

That kind of thoughtfulness made him one of my favorite characters.

ADD:

Deathstroke escaped from custody in Metropolis and the JLA tried to recapture him. He eluded them (note: not "beat them down", but rather eluded them) by using stealth tactics and delaying ambushes that more inconcenienced the JLAers than hurt them. And then he ran into Aquaman. The Aquaman everyone forgot was superhumanly strong and fast and had senses sharp enough to keep Deathstroke from hiding from him.

Of course, Deathstroke finally dropped a building on Aquaman, getting away just long enough to be scooped up by Superman (who basically said "Try that crap with me... I dare you..."; in response Deathstroke immediately stopped fighting and surrendered), but Aquaman... the so-called "Joke of the Super-Friends", was arguably the next most-effective Leaguer to go up against him.

And ever since, I've been an Aquaman fan.

That kind of thoughtfulness made him one of my favorite characters.

Yeah. I loved one bit in the JLA - early when he first joins he says something to the effect of "This is like playing with the Beatles" then 6 years later, chews them out for not doing a good job. Great character development.

And as a Kyle famn, I'll tell you that he is getting his own comic again. Tentatively titled Kyler Raynor: Ion (don't know what kind of powers, or if he is just using the name) - written by Ron Marz.

I would have to say that, after playing Ultimate Spider Man for the gamecube, I gained a new found like for Venom (specifically the Ultimate Venom). Guess it's true ... just gotta walk a mile in his shoes to like him ;)

Reading Starwind's Howl by Elliot S. Maggin brought me back to Krypto, and reminded me of the wonder that was the best part of the Silver Age. It's an unabashedly sentimental story, and I highly reccomend it.

Dark Knight Returns brought me back to Batman. I've always had a weakness for the old man who knows his strength is fading, but fights on in the end.

Kingdom Come, for all that was wrong with that book, offered an excellent take on Superman, a flawed yet noble man struggling to deal with a world that has moved beyond him.

Even more moving was Moore's Whatever Happenned to the Man of Tomorrow.

Oddly, I liked Billy Batson in Kingdom Come. A boy destroye by the loss of his innocence, manipulated and in the service of darkness, who finds in his last moments redemption. It's a powerful image, and an interesting approach to the character of Captain Marvel.

The Samaratin in Astro City may be my favorite version of Superman.

Actually, the Krypto moment for me... was in PS238. about issue four or six(I just have the trade. It's the one with the journey to the moon), A very bittersweet story, in what up to then had been a comedy book... and it marked the turn from PS238 being a good book to a darn well great book.

Actually' date=' the Krypto moment for me... was in PS238. about issue four or six(I just have the trade. It's the one with the journey to the moon), A very bittersweet story, in what up to then had been a comedy book... and it marked the turn from PS238 being a good book to a darn well great book.[/quote']

PS238 is fantastic. I really need to pick up the rest of the trades.

I really enjoyed their Golden Age Superman tribute, the First Superhero and his eventual decision to flee rather than become a tool of the government.

Ok, got one. Wally West Flash, post crisis was very slow. Well, slow by Flash standards. The stories were alright, nothing great. I really wanted to like Wally, since Barry was one of my all time favorites, but he never really won me over.

I think it was #50, with Vandal Savage. Wally had been shot in a previous issue, and a 'gift' from the Kilg%re rebuilt him. He came out of it near his old Kid flash speeds. Savage is in Egypt, and Wally has to stop him (hostage situation IIRC) at a certain time. This was when he still needed to eat massive quantities, so with the deadline approaching a friend (Piper?) tells him he better get moving or he'll never make it. "Don't worry, I still have four minutes left. Who wants pizza?" Needless to say, he makes it on time by traveling at speeds that nobody can comprehend as in his repertoire, especially not Savage. They yell at each other a bit, and Flash is telling Savage that he has no chance and if he tries anything Wally will knock him down hard. Savage is visibly disturbed and raises his gun toward Wally. Wally grabs the gun still in Savage's hand and points it at his own head. He dares Savage to shoot him...dares him! I'll never forget the exchange.

VS: (With angry, horrified look on his face) "Don't you mock me!"

WW: (Holding gun against his forehead) "Mock you? I despise you!"

For some reason, I always thought that was simply the coolest response ever. Savage just crumpled, his spirit broken. (Geek terms: Presence attack from hell.)

That was when Wally won me over.

Aquaman, Animated Timmverse version:

When they show the amputation of his hand(1) as being something he deliberately did to himself, to save his infant son from a lava deathtrap.

That was just badass beyond words.

(1) Unlike comics Aquaman, who lost his hand in a much less well-written way.

When they show the amputation of his hand(1) as being something he deliberately did to himself, to save his infant son from a lava deathtrap.

(1) Unlike comics Aquaman, who lost his hand in a much less well-written way.

Totally agree with this one. I remember watching that and going "hell yeah!". My friends who were watching with me had their eyes bugging out. He earned some major respect all around that night.

A great many characters, even ones I already liked, had my interest in them re-piqued through Justice League or JLU:

Batman: Scene with Ace, "Epilogue":

He's still the Dark Knight, but the characterization in that one scene gets at the core of why he's the Dark Knight. It also did a fantastic job of subtly illustrating how everyone in the Animated DCU looks at Batman--and what he's actually like.

Honorable Mention goes to pretty much the entire episode of "This Little Piggy". Batman's cool, calm, and in control, until someone he cares about is in danger...

Flash: The battle with Brainiac:

Once in awhile, comics and cartoons let heroes with superspeed use it. This is why Flash is on the team--and why he has every right to be there.

And so on and so forth.

The scene that won me over on Captain America:

"I'm sorry I've failed you"--right before he snaps the Skull's neck, "Earth X".

I felt that statement encapsulated Captain America's sense of duty, both as a human being and as a soldier.

It just felt right, and appropriate, and quintessentially Cap.

Steel (the first one, grandson of Commander Steel) Justice League of America. It's the lame crew. The one that was put together so that Steel could be a great hero. The one time hero, Commander Steel, still dressed in his patriotic uniform has recruited Infinity Inc to aid him in destroying the League. Because they aren't good enough. Then he and his aid, Mekanique defeat (via sneak attack) Infinity Inc. and are "upgrading" Steel. The defeated JLA summons the JSA from E-2 and they all go after Commander Steel.

In the end, Steel, who is propped up by one of his teammates, confronts his grandfather, the three superteams go outside to see that the universe is crumbling (this was a Crisis tie in)

Inside Steel and Commander Steel are fighting. Steel is winning, but his eyes are full of tears, his teeth are grit. It was a pretty powerful scene.

Commander Steel: "It's over Hank, I don't want to fight you."

Steel "That's too bad grandpa, because I sure as hell want to fight you!"

Similar to Marketeer's pick, the finale to the Roger Stern, John Byrne Captain America story where in he fights Brother Blood, (Baron Blood, sorry), in modern Britain.

The reluctance to kill, even in so extreme a situation, just slammed home for me. It made me take code vs killing much more seriously as a disad and caused a change in the character of many of my pcs from then on.

Similar to Marketeer's pick, the finale to the Roger Stern, John Byrne Captain America story where in he fights Brother Blood in modern Britain.

The reluctance to kill, even in so extreme a situation, just slammed home for me. It made me take code vs killing much more seriously as a disad and caused a change in the character of many of my pcs from then on.

You mean Baron Blood ... I had a "OMG" moment, as I'd kill to see Cap versus the classic Brother Blood ... or any of the Titan villains for that matter ;)

ADD:

Deathstroke escaped from custody in Metropolis and the JLA tried to recapture him. He eluded them (note: not "beat them down", but rather eluded them) by using stealth tactics and delaying ambushes that more inconcenienced the JLAers than hurt them. And then he ran into Aquaman. The Aquaman everyone forgot was superhumanly strong and fast and had senses sharp enough to keep Deathstroke from hiding from him.

Of course, Deathstroke finally dropped a building on Aquaman, getting away just long enough to be scooped up by Superman (who basically said "Try that crap with me... I dare you..."; in response Deathstroke immediately stopped fighting and surrendered), but Aquaman... the so-called "Joke of the Super-Friends", was arguably the next most-effective Leaguer to go up against him.

And ever since, I've been an Aquaman fan.

See now maybe this is what I read but I seem to remember the JLA being the Geffen Era jokers. Deathstroke is picking them off one by one and then he suddenly bounces off Aquaman and says something to the effect of; "I better make haste the Big boys have come out to play..." after years of hearing Aquaman get mocked for his stint in the Superfriends, it was a great bit to read and made me like him more.

My reaction was :jawdrop: That was one of the most hardcore things I've ever seen in a cartoon, and was closely followed by what Aquaman does when his treacherous brother is hanging from the ice bridge in front of him: "Brother! Help me!"

Aquaman reaches down... and takes the trident back.

"I believe this is mine."

I have never liked Aquaman as much as I have in the Timmverse.