[Character] The Flash

Enforcer84

Place holder for Wallace West; this write up may change quite a bit when the Ultimate Speedster hits the shelves... :D

(Write fast Steve)

Any points I should be aware of Flash fans?

What is the movement power of choice?

How much should I invoke the "Speed Force"?

I will also (like GL when completed) be giving capsulated changes for the various Speedsters in the DCU.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAR: The Flash

Currently Wally has a couple of transfer powers to be aware of, he can transfer power from himself to others and from others to himself (but only if they are powered by the speed force, in otherwords he can give the force to others and take it away from people who have it)

He can do the desol thing, but has a lim on it that it causes the item to explode (You figure out how to write THAT one up)

Remember, decpite his relative young age he is a veterain hero, having been in the game for almost as long as supes and bats, further more he is probably better adjusted to the life style as he has grown up in it

I will think some more on it...

OHH and a HIGH CONNECTION with Nightwing, they are best friends...

Currently Wally has a couple of transfer powers to be aware of, he can transfer power from himself to others and from others to himself (but only if they are powered by the speed force, in otherwords he can give the force to others and take it away from people who have it)

He can do the desol thing, but has a lim on it that it causes the item to explode (You figure out how to write THAT one up)

Remember, decpite his relative young age he is a veterain hero, having been in the game for almost as long as supes and bats, further more he is probably better adjusted to the life style as he has grown up in it

I will think some more on it...

Check and Check. I knew the speed transfer and destruction. Can he move through things without destroying them? That will change some of my ideas.

Guest Suleyman Rashid

Check and Check. I knew the speed transfer and destruction. Can he move through things without destroying them? That will change some of my ideas.

Only if they mass a lot more than he does.

He can steal or lend Speed to/from anything. Mostly, this manifests as a Movement/SPD/DEX style Transfer/Aid. He's used it to slow the fall of inanimate objects (bunch of steel girders), has had Jay, Jesse and Bart lend him speed so that he could keep up with the temporal speedster Zoom and he has point blank said he could steal the momentum from Superman, who was chasing him around the world at the time.

This no longer happens, unless I missed something where they changed it back recently...

Agreed, but Wally is also way more down to Earth about stuff. He really is just an average guy with extraordianry friends and powers. He holds down a night job as a mechanic not because he needs the cover ID or money, but because it's what he really loves to do.

definitly agreed.

I think you ought to write him as SPD 5' date=' DEX 23, with loads of lightning reflexes and a self-aid to SPD. He's very fast movement-wise, but he doesn't think as fast as many other JLAers.[/quote']

That was my next question. A very well trained chicken you are!

So, does Wally have HIgh DEX or lots of Lightning reflexes? Chicken says the latter. That was my take as well, going off theold Mayfair DC Heroes game he's not even Hal Jordan level quick??!?!? but I'll probably give him 23-26 Dex, haven't decided yet.

What do the rest of you think?

Oh, by the way, you all enjoying these? I'll probably clean up my top 10 - 12 DC heroes, then work some Marvel, or whatever until I get bored, as ineveitably happens.

:D

Yeah, he reacts hyper quickly at speed, but he's not superhumanly agile or mentally quick. Wally is a very smart guy who grew into his own, but he's not Martian Manhunter or Batgod in the mental arena. I'm not sure on the SPD score though....It's easily concievable IMHO to give him a SPD 12 and be on the mark in some of his appearances, like against Manhunter during the Invasion storyline, but it's probably possible to just fudge that with speed tricks. Maybe buy him extra speed, costs END, only to activate? That could represent him slipping into the speed force and just unloading.

EDIT: Of course Trained Chicken covered that with his SPD Aid idea...some day I should really look into this whole "reading" thing.

I think you ought to write him as SPD 5, DEX 23, with loads of lightning reflexes and a self-aid to SPD. He's very fast movement-wise, but he doesn't think as fast as many other JLAers.

Considering Enforcer has already stated Superman at a 5/10, I would definitly make sure Wally is able to readily reach a 10, with Aid probably not being the best method of doing so. Really though, there's no reason why you should penalize the Fastest Man Alive by giving him a 5 SPD, especially considering the things he's done in the past. He doesn't just run fast, he reacts fast and thinks VERY fast.

The key is that somone like Batman has a MUCH higher perception then Wally, so he makes more informed decisions. Wally will run a billion computations in matter of seconds, come to a conclusion and race off at over 7,200,000 mph (yes, he and Supes allegedly run that fast. I'm holding the issue in my hand). To others it seems like Wally's going off half cocked. To Wally he's already looked at a situation form every possible angle for a relative hour or so and he's sure of the best course of action. Shame he's not always right...

In any event, I might understand something like +X SPD, Nonpersistant, Trigger (Danger Sense). He's done stuff like reflexivly shifting into high gear in the very instant that danger rears it's ugly head. Obviously if he doesn't percive the Danger, he won't react fast enough to it. But that's potentailly getting more complicated then what you really need.

Honestly, SPD wise, I probably would have put Supes and Wonder Woman at an 8 and Wally at a 9, with most of the other Speedsters falling between the 7 and 9 range. The advantage of leaving Wally at 9 is that you have a legit reason why he borrows speed on occasion. Citing the Zoom fight, Zoom was moving so fast Wally could not see or even react to him until he had borrowed every ounce of Speed Jesse Quick could lend him (and that ended up burning out Jesse's powers). He was moving faster then the speed of light just to keep up with Zoom, who moves outside of time.

I would also highly recomend a really big VPP for speedster stunts, which should be called "I Live to Do the Impossible". One example of the impossible would be evacuating a huge mob of citizens from a collapsing bridge, studying over 200 books on structural engineering, collecting building materials and then rebuilding the entire bridge single handedly, all in approximatly 30 seconds. Wally did forget virtually everything he had learned about engineering after that 30 seconds elapsed however.

Wally has a MASSIVE City Knowlege for both Keystone City, KS and Central City, MO. He has an amazing reputation in the Twin Cities. Until recently, he also had a public ID, but the Spectre has since changed that for him. He's also got trivial knowledge of just about every city on earth, to the point of knowing where the best pizza in the world is made. Now THAT is a useful tallent :)

Wally has lots of little powers that people always seem to forget about, but if you give him the VPP many of them can probably be done with that. For exampel, he has a "Speed Sense", that lets him clock the speed that anything is traveling. While he has the ability to form his costume out of pure kinetic energy (which has allowed him to make it a sealed environment that provides LS: High Radiation for example), at present, he's waring Barry's old costume. It's concealed in his flash ring via shrinking gas. That costume has radio trasmiter/recievers in the lightning shaped headpieces. I don't think his speed force one does however (would have to double check).

I'll shut up for now...

Honestly, SPD wise, I probably would have put Supes and Wonder Woman at an 8 and Wally at a 9, with most of the other Speedsters falling between the 7 and 9 range. The advantage of leaving Wally at 9 is that you have a legit reason why he borrows speed on occasion. Citing the Zoom fight, Zoom was moving so fast Wally could not see or even react to him until he had borrowed every ounce of Speed Jesse Quick could lend him (and that ended up burning out Jesse's powers). He was moving faster then the speed of light just to keep up with Zoom, who moves outside of time.

As the Editor in Eternal of Chad's DC Universe, I hearby retcon this out of existance and Jesse Quick has her powers!

seriously though, thanks for the input Bloodstone, all will be taken into account.

I want to disagree with that on some level and say that Wally has finally started growing out of his uncles shadow, but damn it that's just too cool of a disadvantage to pass up ;) Rep for you sir!

For the record, he's seen Barry face to face twice in the last year and will probably see him for the third and final time by the end of the the Infinite Crisis. Ah the joys and insanity of time travel...

Now does everyone remember DC1' date='000,000? Flash was apparently simulating every possible combat outcome and tactic. What's that? +50 INT costs end? :D[/quote']

It's Combat Skill Levels with a tactics roll and (maybe) costs end. Could also be precognition as per Hyperstats in the USPD2.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: CHAR: The FlashOkay, here's a really Rough Draft. I grabbed a nice history for Wally off the web, but I am at a loss as to how durable he is. Most of the regular SPeedster tricks can be made wth the VPP. I am using the EC (it will be more than 5 pts believe me.) to create the main "Speed Force" Powers which are very DC centric. The FlashVal Char Cost Roll Notes20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]24 DEX 42 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 823 CON 26 14-13 BODY 6 12-18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 518 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d616 COM 3 12-18 PD 14 Total: 18 PD (0 rPD)18 ED 13 Total: 18 ED (0 rED)7 SPD 36 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 1210 REC 250 END 250 STUN 15 Total Characteristic Cost: 193Movement: Running: 6"/12" Flight: 50"/100" Leaping: 4"/8" Swimming: 2"/4"Cost Powers END250 The Speed Force: Variable Power Pool (Cosmic Energy Control), 100 base + 150 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (250 Active Points)0 1) Tap the Speed Force: Aid SPD 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points), Can Add Maximum Of 50 Points (53 Active Points) Real Cost: 537 Instant Change: Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (Civilian clothes to Flash Uniform, Reversing the transform) (10 Active Points); Limited Target: Own Clothes Slightly Limited (-1/4), IIF (Flash Ring; -1/4) 15 Speed Powers: Elemental Control, 10-point powers445 1) Supreme Movement: Flight 50", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Variable Advantage (+1 1/2 Advantages; Tricks of the Trade; +3) (450 Active Points)82 2) Loan Speed: Succor 1/3 to SPD (+1); 2/3 to Movement Power (+20pts) 10d6 (standard effect: 30 points), any Movement power one at a time (This covers the 'any movement' ability. ; +1/4), Limited Range (50"; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (87 Active Points) 385 3) The Speed Force Giveth; the Flash Taketh Away.: Suppress Speed Force Abilities (Any Superspeed powers) 6d6, all Speedster powers simultaneously (+2) (90 Active Points) 9\tab Notes: This is the ability to cloud his target's link to "the Speed Force". This should work only on Speedsters, not anyone's movement ability. Perks3 Well-Connected23 1) Contact: Justice League of America (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (24 Active Points) 12-20 2) Contact: Justice Society of America (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (21 Active Points) 11-23 3) Contact: Teen Titans (or just Titans) (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (24 Active Points) 12-23 4) Contact: The Flash "Family" (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (24 Active Points) 12-15 Reputation: Legacy Hero/The Fastest Man Alive (A large group) 14-, +5/+5d65 Inheritence from Aunt Iris: Money: Well Off10 Fringe Benefit: Membership: Justice League of America; Senior MemberTalents30 Reflexes Supreme: Lightning Reflexes: +20 DEX to act first with All ActionsSkills5 +1 with Hand to Hand Combat40 +20 with Dive for Cover9 +3 with "Running" Powers3 Teamwork 14-3 Tactics 13-3 Paramedics 13-3 Breakfall 14-3 Bureaucratics 13-3 High Society 13-3 Interrogation 13-3 Persuasion 13-3 Scholar1 1) KS: Speedsters (2 Active Points) 11-2 2) KS: The Best Places to eat on Earth! (3 Active Points) 13-1 3) KS: The Legacy of the Flash (2 Active Points) 11-1 4) KS: The Speed Force (2 Active Points) 11-1 5) KS: The Superhuman World (2 Active Points) 11-3 Traveler2 1) AK: Africa (3 Active Points) 13-1 2) AK: Antarctica (2 Active Points) 11-2 3) AK: Asia (3 Active Points) 13-7 4) AK: Earth (8 Active Points) 18-2 5) AK: Europe (3 Active Points) 13-7 6) AK: North America (8 Active Points) 18-2 7) AK: South America (3 Active Points) 13-1 8) CK: Keystone City (2 Active Points) 11-17 Master of Speed: Power: Speedster Tricks 20-3 Streetwise 13-Total Powers & Skill Cost: 1160Total Cost: 1353500+ Disadvantages20 DNPC: Linda Park-West (Wife/Girlfriend?) 11- (Occasionally), Normal, Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID20 Hunted: Flash's Rogues Gallery 11- (Frequently), As Powerful, NCI, Harshly Punish15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Barry's Legacy Common, Strong15 Secret Identity: Wally West: Frequently (11-), Major783 Experience PointsTotal Disadvantage Points: 1353Background/History: From "Those Who Ride the Lightning" a Flash Fansite. http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/.

Junior high school student Wally West, president of Blue Valley, Nebraska’s Flash Fan Club, was visiting his aunt Iris in Central City and her boyfriend Barry Allen. Barry offered to introduce Wally to the Flash—in costume, he explained to Wally the accident which gave him his powers, when suddenly it reoccurred, granting Wally the same abilities! Barry took him into his confidence, and made him his sidekick, Kid Flash. Wally was a founding member of the Teen Titans.

Unfortunately, the accident had a slightly different effect on Wally’s adolescent body. He developed a disease which would kill him if he used his speed. A blast of energy during the Crisis—the same war in which Barry sacrificed his life—cured Wally of this disease, but left him with a top speed roughly that of sound.

[updated Costume - Flash 50]

In honor of his mentor, Wally took the name and costume of the Flash. He went through a difficult period of emotional instability during which he used his powers irresponsibly, developed a reputation as a womanizer, and finally sought psychiatric help, As he matured—much of which he credits to his now-longstanding relationship with reporter Linda Park—and learned to fulfill his responsibility, Wally slowly developed confidence and regained his earlier speed.

[speed Force Costume - Flash 131]

Finally breaking through his mental block of replacing Barry Allen, he achieved full speed, only to find himself changing into energy. In the midst of a battle for Keystone, he sacrificed his life and his humanity to save Linda—and became the only person known to return from the other side of the speed barrier. Wally now has a direct connection to the speed force, and subconscious knowledge of new ways to use it, including the ability to lend speed to other objects and people (Terminal Velocity and aftermath: Flash #95–101, 1994–1995).

Wally now wears a costume made of concentrated speed force energy. Unable to wait for both broken legs to heal and inspired by a then-recent Justice League case, he gained enough control over the speed force to create a costume which would support him and enable him to run despite his injury (Flash #131, 1997).

Wally and Linda finally married, but Linda was kidnapped from the wedding by Abra Kadabra and retroactively erased from history (Flash #142, 1998). Wally’s sacrifice at the end of “Chain Lightning,†entering the Speed Force to defeat Cobalt Blue, appeared final. He was, in fact, drawn back into reality when Linda escaped her prison outside of time. Trapped alongside her in an alternate reality, battling first a blue-eyed version of himself driven over the edge by his own Linda’s death at the hands of Kobra, then Kadabra himself, he and Linda searched endless alternate realities before finally returning to their own and tricking Kadabra into reversing his spell (Flash #153–158, 1999). Restored to their own world at last, they immediately picked up where they left off, holding the wedding that afternoon.

Several months into Linda’s first pregnancy, Zoom attacked Linda to “teach†Wally about tragedy first-hand. Linda survived, but the unborn twins did not. In his grief, Wally made a deal with the Spectre to make the world forget who he was, hoping that Wally and Linda would be safe from the Flash’s enemies. What the Spectre did not tell him was that he and Linda would forget as well.

Wally and Linda have since regained their memories, though it took time for them to pick up the pieces of their their life and marriage. Miraculously, a time-travelling rematch with Zoom created a “fissure in time†that restored Linda’s pregnancy, just in time for her to give birth. The Wests are currently looking forward to raising their new family.Personality/Motivation: Wally is a hero out of his own desire to do good as well as his responsibility to uphold his uncle Barry's good name.Quote: Powers/Tactics: Campaign Use: Appearance:

The SPD Aid gets him to 12 spd in about 5 phases. Rules on how that would work? What would his speed be when he went to 8, 9, 10, etc. I think I'd only allow him to use the increased phases on the next turn but I am a bastard. :D

BTW, can Wally run across the sky? I think I have seen that but I could be wrong. that's why I didn't use the 'needs to touch the ground' limitation.