[Character] The Flash

Enforcer84

Re: CHAR: The Flash

The version of the character up the page is horribly overbuilt.

The Danger Sense, in particular, is unbalancing.

A version of the Flash based on either Showcase #4, or the first issue of Wally's series, would be much more manageable. A guy with boomerangs would definitely be able to present a challenge.

Against this monster: no chance, short of a Green Arrow-style Atomic Warhead Boomerang.

Isn't the present Captain Boomerang (The son of the original ) a semi speedster meta human??

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I might add a Showcase #4 version of Barry Allen to my list of characters to design. I was planning on doing a Captain Boomerang homage already.

Once I get Barry done, Kid Flash will be easy.

I'm going to do Detective Comics #27 Batman first, though.

The version of the character up the page is horribly overbuilt.

And here I thought he was kinda wimpy compared to what Wally has done in his book over the last few years... mind you, it's fairly unbelievable that most of the more human Rogues give him problems in the comics too.

Captain Cold, Mirror Master and Weather Wizard must have about +35 Lightning Reflexes with their weapons of choice...

And here I thought he was kinda wimpy compared to what Wally has done in his book over the last few years... mind you' date=' it's fairly unbelievable that most of the more human Rogues give him problems in the comics too.[/quote']

Wally seems to have been a victim of particularly intense power inflation.

He was "just right" at the beginning of his series, IMHO.

I'm still going to base my versions of Barry and Wally on their early Silver Age incarnations. They rarely seemed to do much that a reasonable Champions character couldn't. Wally in particular was nothing special - a tough Teen Champions character at most.

I might even get around to building the whole of the original Teen Titans. Aqualad would be tricky.

Just a thought (you're the experts, not me) -- how plausible would it be to build his "Missed Me!" power as a desolid, instead of just a DCV boost? It seems like every time the Flash really doesn't want to get hit, most attacks really just plain won't hit him.

I wrote:

I'm still going to base my versions of Barry and Wally on their early Silver Age incarnations. They rarely seemed to do much that a reasonable Champions character couldn't.

I've done a "literature review" of the Silver Age Flash's first few appearances, courtesy of the relevant Showcase Presents volume.

It tended to confirm the above statement, in my opinion. Of course, there was a process of escalation more or less from the beginning, but the original version of the character was pretty tame.

So much so, in fact, that for the moment I am not actually going to bother writing him up. Essentially, he could be represented by a character produced by the random character generation system in the Champions genre book! That's not actually terribly surprising, of course, since he is, after all, pretty much the archetypical speedster.

So, in my opinion: the Silver Age Flash could, at the beginning of his career, be represented by a standard 350 point speedster. Kid Flash could probably be represented on 250!

These characters would interact with the world around them in more or less the same way as their prototypes in the source material, including, of course, in their ability to be worfed by the likes of Captain Boomerang.

It's nice to see that the system actually works in at least some cases!

OK... how does a guy with boomerangs take this monster out?

Lot's of combat levels and a writer who ignores the whole superspeed vs normal speed thing?

Just curious -- isn't the Flash's main enemy now Professor Zoom, a sort of "reverse Flash"? I seem to remember him from Infinite Crisis, anyway.

I get the idea that the old Rogues wouldn't stand a chance against the Flash in a straight fight as he's written now, which is probably why they don't try straight-up fights anymore...

The new Zoom is every bit Wally's equal, if not his outright superior. Different source for his powers though (time manipulation).

The classic Rogues usually rely on preparation, surprise and numbers at this point. Plus they know their enemy all too well and know how to use their gimmicks to exploit his weaknesses.

Oh, and Wally has near Superman levels of PIS.

Plot Induced Stupidity.

He routinely forgets many of his abilities, especially the newer ones. He still tends to solve most of his problems by hitting or grabbing things, instead of doing stuff like stealing speed. Mind you, some of his newer abilities are kinda lame IMO and I'm glad they aren't brought up very often (like his ability to form constructs out of Speed Force energy or the Relativistic Punch).

The writers are also amazingly inconsistent with how fast he can actually move...

Plot Induced Stupidity.

He routinely forgets many of his abilities, especially the newer ones. He still tends to solve most of his problems by hitting or grabbing things, instead of doing stuff like stealing speed. Mind you, some of his newer abilities are kinda lame IMO and I'm glad they aren't brought up very often (like his ability to form constructs out of Speed Force energy or the Relativistic Punch).

The writers are also amazingly inconsistent with how fast he can actually move...

I give my vote for "Speed Force" being the lamest concept ever. Or at least the lamest name.

I dislike the name.

I'm not a fan of all the stuff they have done with it.

I like the overall concept. I know a bunch of fans that feel it ruined the majority of the DC's speedsters by making them too homogeneous... I don't exactly agree with that, but I can see their point.

I dislike the name.

I'm not a fan of all the stuff they have done with it.

I like the overall concept. I know a bunch of fans that feel it ruined the majority of the DC's speedsters by making them too homogeneous... I don't exactly agree with that, but I can see their point.

you mean they weren't homogeneous before?

:D