If YOU have been playing Hero since the 80's why do you still keep coming back?

CorpCommander

Re: If YOU have been playing Hero since the 80's why do you still keep coming back?

I also started in 1981 (I think). I graduated highschool in 1982, and I know it was about a year before I graduated that I was brought into a Champions game by the manager of the Game Shop where I worked, and it was AWESOME!

It was the first time I was able to actually -decide- what my character would be like. And because it was a Superhero game, the character could be ANYTHING! (I could afford). I was hooked.

Ive always been the kind of gamer who looks at alot of different systems and tries them out. Right now Im gearing up to try out Mutants and Masterminds because Ive heard alot about it, and it sounds easier to write villains up for than HERO (although i can already tell that the game isnt as mechanically "solid" as HERO, just from writing up thirty or so characters).

Ive gone through D&D/AD&D, Gamma World, Tunnels and Trolls, Boot Hill, Superhero 2044 (OMG Im not the only one who remembers that game??), Traveller, Runequest, Morrow Project, Stormbringer, Aftermath, Ghostbusters, Marvel Superheroes, Albedo, Melee/Wizard, DC Heroes, GURPS (advanced Melee/Wizard), Chill, Twilight 2000, Rolemaster (Chartmaster), Lord of the Rings RPG (Rolemaster variant), Space Opera, FASA Star Trek, The Dr. Who RPG (FASA), Star Wars RPG (WEG), Star Wars RPG (d20), Vampire/ Werewolf/ Mage/ Wraith (1st edition; aint going there again), D&D 3.5 (different enough from AD&D to warrant its own entry), Mekton, Mekton Zeta Plus, Fading Suns, Fusion, Marvel SAGA system (the one with cards), Big Eyes Small Mouth, HERO V, and Mutants & Masterminds.

And those are just the ones I actually PLAYED. I own about twice as many systems, and have alot of supplemental setting material for some (which makes moving a b*tch).

99% of all that is used as source material that gets converted to HERO as needed.

HERO provides a solid, consistent, rational framework upon which to build a campaign. It takes some work on the part of the GM to set everything up, but once its set up it runs smoothly and consistently. HERO has a clear differentiation between lethal and non-lethal damage, and yet allows for non-lethal attacks to do some permanent damage (the Body damage from Normal attack dice). No other system does that. Your ability to dodge an attack is clearly separated from your ability to block it, bounce it off your chest. All 14 (!) Stats are important and come into play regulary. HERO characters feel fully-realized and well-detailed; each is a unique individual.

There just aint no other game like HERO.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: If YOU have been playing Hero since the 80's why do you still keep coming back?

99% of all that is used as source material that gets converted to HERO as needed.

There just aint no other game like HERO.

As I sit at my desk and look at my collection of SHRPGs there (Evertyhing pre 5th for Champions,* Blood of Heroes, Champs New Millenium, Superworld, Cosmic Enforcers, Heroes and Heroines, Aberrant, Capes, V&V, Foundation: A world in black and white, Gurps Supers, Heroes unlimited, Godsend Agenda d6, M&M (and superlink stuff), SAS**) and of course every 5th edition book.... and I just nod. :)

*The non champions pre5th sutf is not on one of the shelves on my desk, but close to hand

** And those are complete collections mind you. :) I have apporximately 7 feet of superhero RPGs. Wow.

1. Habit, mostly.

2. I am a character fanatic, and hero defines characters well.

3. I can tailor it on the fly because I've used it so much.

4. I'm a luddite. I don't like a lot of the other systems I've seen.

As I sit at my desk and look at my collection of SHRPGs there (Evertyhing pre 5th for Champions,* Blood of Heroes, Champs New Millenium, Superworld, Cosmic Enforcers, Heroes and Heroines, Aberrant, Capes, V&V, Foundation: A world in black and white, Gurps Supers, Heroes unlimited, Godsend Agenda d6, M&M (and superlink stuff), SAS**) and of course every 5th edition book.... and I just nod. :)

*The non champions pre5th sutf is not on one of the shelves on my desk, but close to hand

** And those are complete collections mind you. :) I have apporximately 7 feet of superhero RPGs. Wow.

What, no Godlike or Providence? You'll have to work on that. :D

What' date=' no [i']Godlike[/i] or Providence? You'll have to work on that. :D

Godlike I just didn't get into - it was more a WWII game with superpowers than a superhero RPG- so it was on the low end of the priority list. :)

Don't know Providence.

Frist started with the wrap around cover w/Gargoyle,an-Iron Man clone,Green lantern clone & female hero taking on a powered armored(w/eye-beam)Dr Doom(maybe an older version of Dr Destroyer).I think it was late 81 or early 82.I was the one in our group who bought Danger International/Justice,Inc. & tryed to bring into our game things that later became part of the total package system during 4th.Had fun bringing the group kicking & screaming into 4th & 5th editions(was the 1st in our group to buy both.)

Doc sez...

I'm happy to say that I was into Champions right from the beginning getting the "1st Edition" manuals from my local friendly gamestore (who I worked for occassionally at the time). The owner knew I liked Superhero RPGs, although there wasn't a huge following at the time in the Cleveland area, and went out out of his way to get me "this new RPG system" and to keep getting the difficult to obtain supplements.

Why do I stay with it? Because it is simply the best commercially available system on the market. It allowed me to even play a Hero System based D&D game with friends I turned onto the System with just a little bit of effort and time. The System has gotten even better since those early days, even with having to endure the Fuzion Era and other tumultuous periods of the Game.

Doc Tough

Greetings all!

1st time post, Long Long time player! I have been playing off and on since 1980 and here is why for me. You can create anything and everything. We had a session in 1985-86 where we created character starting at 100 pts and as we went we would learn (or try something new) a power that we would like to have our GM would roll dice and he would help us set up our new power as we played. We had some crazy ideas but they worked, this was a blast to do. Also it always fun to create a "Spider-Man, Wolverine, Batman" anything at all. I have had many years of fun and more to come well into the future.:)

Thanks Guys!

Greetings all!

1st time post, Long Long time player! I have been playing off and on since 1980 and here is why for me. You can create anything and everything. We had a session in 1985-86 where we created character starting at 100 pts and as we went we would learn (or try something new) a power that we would like to have our GM would roll dice and he would help us set up our new power as we played. We had some crazy ideas but they worked, this was a blast to do. Also it always fun to create a "Spider-Man, Wolverine, Batman" anything at all. I have had many years of fun and more to come well into the future.:)

Thanks Guys!

Welcome!

Greetings all!

Thanks Guys!

Welcome to the boards, and the madness that ensues here! (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

Greetings all!

Thanks Guys!

Welcome and enjoy the asylum.

In fairness to d20 and the Acrobatic Cleric, try building this character concept effectively (for any genre):

He's clumsy (DEX 5-8), weak (STR 5-8) and sicky (CON 5-8).

In d20, a character with below average STR, DEX and CON remains playable (with, of course, some disadvantages). Those drawbacks are very hard to overcome and be an effective character in Hero, at least assuming a typical game where combat is common.

You have just described a wizard I played in Fantasy Hero many years ago.

Of course' date=' the support from the gang at DoJ upon Hero's resurrection has been phenomenal. Where else can you post a rules question and get a response from the game's actual designer in 24 hours or less? Where else can you make a feature request for software and have it [i']implemented[/i] literally the next day? Where else do the game's designers share their own campaigns and role-playing experiences? Where else will the designers stea... er, borrow good ideas you've posted and incorporate them into future products (And don't anyone get the idea that upsets me; on the contrary it flatters me immensely!). :D

I can't even imagine going to another system at this juncture.

\

Yeah! Let’s hear it for Steve Long and the DoJ!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is looking for those free snacks…..

In fairness to d20 and the Acrobatic Cleric, try building this character concept effectively (for any genre):

He's clumsy (DEX 5-8), weak (STR 5-8) and sicky (CON 5-8).

In d20, a character with below average STR, DEX and CON remains playable (with, of course, some disadvantages). Those drawbacks are very hard to overcome and be an effective character in Hero, at least assuming a typical game where combat is common.

Depends. One of my (D&D) GMs requires constant rolls for things like climbing a rope or steep slope. He also tends to require attack rolls for dealing with foes who are unconscious. The non-physical types are screwed. Of course, that is AD&D, but the concept would port to D20 also. :angst:

So in part I'd say it depend on the style of play. Things like CSLs can also help make up for the lack of CV and such in Hero. Mentalists can certainly get by with low physical Characteristics. :)