Reality TV For Superheroes

tribe

I'm planning a Superhero version of Survivor, and have the basic premise down pat, but am wondering about how realistic this would be.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience in running something like this?

It would be a short term game, with a definite timeline and the good old voting off characters each 'week' (whether that's a real week or extended pbem week).

I was thinking that each tribe would contain four members initially with three sharing the same archetype, and the fourth member being a wildcard (doesn't matter which archetype).

For example:

Red Tribe:

Colossus (Brick)

Human Torch (Energy Blaster/Flyer)

Forge (Gadgeteer)

Dazzler (Energy Blaster)

Blue Tribe:

She Hulk (Brick)

Storm (Energy Blaster/Flyer)

Mister Fantastic (Gadgeteer)

Shatterstar (Martial Artist)

That would mean Immunity Challenges could cater to a particular archetype, such as speed through an obstacle course, or strength in lifting things (weights, cars, team mates...), as well as ones which allow for the introduction of dumb luck or tough stomachs.

But I need more ideas and a better sense of play before I start to properly formulate it.

Ideas would be muchly welcome.

Re: Reality TV For Superheroes

I'm afraid I avoid Reality TV like the plague it is, so I can't help you. However, I think Whammewhamme once posted a reality tv show Champions idea on these very boards. If I'm remembering correctly, and if you can find it, maybe that would be of help to you

I'm afraid I avoid Reality TV like the plague it is' date=' so I can't help you. However, I think Whammewhamme once posted a reality tv show Champions idea on these very boards. If I'm remembering correctly, and if you can find it, maybe that would be of help to you[/quote']

Thanks Hermit.

And plagues need to be defeated by superheroes.... good mix!

Thanks again.

And there is the comic book series Wild Guard; the first miniseries was "Casting Call" where they culled the team together. There have been a two piece and oneshot stories since and Todd Nauck posts periodic episodes on his message forum at Image Comics' website. Fun and Funny, check it out for at least ideas.

American Icon, Search for a Superhero...

A short lived Hero Central game, actually.

ICON sounds like a great name for it. Thanks heaps.

Have you got a run down on what happened or could you give me some tips on how it was started?

The American Idol concept seems workable, even more so than the Survivor/Bg Brother ideas.

Each week would have a new theme such as:

Week One: Rescue Damsel From Distress

Week Two: Out Think Criminal Mastermind

Week Three: Overcome Natural Disaster

Week Four: New Identity - Hero Makeover

And so it goes on!

I like it a lot.

Should be up and running on Uberworld in February.

:thumbup:

I had my Extreme Justice campagine.

High Concept: Cops meets Real World in the Marvel universe.

A group of meta-humans, only restrictions were Public ID and no law enforcement hunteds. They were miked up, had lipstick cams attached to their helmets, and given police powers in the city and county of New York. They had three camerapersons who followed everywhere (much to the amazement of some of the opponents, who had never seen the heros supply hostiages before), and a producer who critiqued their preformance after each mission. ("Please remenber you are on camera at all times, we were able to edit out those two, what did you call them, 'insurance shots' after your opponent was down, but if he files a formal complaint of police brutality, we will have to produce the uneditied version.")

Of course, after a couple of kitten up a tree adventures, a Production Assistant broke into a meeting and said "Excuse me, but a freaking gamma bomb has just materialized in Central Park, and neither the Avengers nor the Fantastic Four are answering the phone."

I believe a good time was had by all until RL intruded.

Guest WhammeWhamme

ICON sounds like a great name for it. Thanks heaps.

Have you got a run down on what happened or could you give me some tips on how it was started?

The American Idol concept seems workable, even more so than the Survivor/Bg Brother ideas.

Each week would have a new theme such as:

Week One: Rescue Damsel From Distress

Week Two: Out Think Criminal Mastermind

Week Three: Overcome Natural Disaster

Week Four: New Identity - Hero Makeover

And so it goes on!

I like it a lot.

Should be up and running on Uberworld in February.

:thumbup:

Well, brief recap:

The background was that the main JL/Av type team was losing one of it's founding members as he was going back to his homeworld. And there wasn't really any obvious new talent to take his place. Experienced heroes seemed mostly in their own grooves.

So... they decided to organize some trials.

The Icon setting was for PR, and also as a way to test the would-be heroes.

It was largely actually intended as a training camp for superheroes.

The challenges were:

-Defeat the Brick (actor in power armour - subdue him safely/stop him from 'robbing the bank').

(never got past that one; I'd have to check my notes).

I also ran some class scenes where the PC's signed up for various classes and met some of my NPC's.

My favourite NPC was what I've dubbed "The Living Radioactive Pizza", followed closely by a sweet girl who happened to have to have turned into a horrible looking blob of black goo (with pseudopods and tentacles! who communicated by forming their hand into a slate!).

(See, there HAD to be a Mystery Men-esque 'no, sorry' scene... given that Idol does that kind of thing as is...)

Oh... and I had an audition scene, where you had to show what you can do.

You could pair each hero up with a normal human, and they have to do all challenges together using teamwork. Particularly if any Survivor Challenges involve blindfolding the hero, and have the human guide him by voice only.

Alternately, make it a bit like the Legion of Superheroes, the original Survivor to get on the team.

Have a group of Wanna-Be Sidekicks with low level or quirky powers (150 points?) compete to become the sidekick of a popular hero. Call it Apprentice III. Challenges include infiltrating a high society dinner party and determining who among the guests is actually a villain (with a desperate yen to be on tv, or after some easy money if noone guesses right). Or a bomb is on the premises and must be found. Designing the perfect costume. Trivia about the hero they want to partner with. A croc is seen in the sewers, send in the Sidekicks!

Could be some good opportunities for product placement as well. Getaway vehicles are a hot new SUV. "Robbery" at the diamond store downtown.

I know the New Warriors were re-launched (for like the third or fourth time) with a kind of Big Brother angle where film crews followed them around everywhere.

Has anyone had a go at that kind of game?

Yes - a major campaign (back in the late 1980's RealTime) based on publicity-hungry heroes. Lots of detail such as corporate sponsorships / advertising, superhero liability insurance, costume fashion decisions, team logos done by advertising firms, crack legal team to handle problems, biography / novelization / movie tie-ins, celebrity gossip, groupies, sex, narcotics etc etc.

Much fun when done correctly. Many ways for the GM to screw a hero that don't involve rolling dice for attacks :sneaky:

I too recommend the "WildGuard" series. The first mini was very much a reality TV show based thing - and the continuing series has a "Real World" feel to it in parts as well.

I think the idea of "Who Wants To Be A SideKick?" could work out as a lot of fun. Not very good for a group game though unless the players are competing to be the sidekick.

Not sure how "Survivor" would map well into a good game setting. Most of the fun of that show is the internal double-dealings, back-stabbing, broken promises or half-truths - and any good super-hero worth his salt doesn't do that kind of stuff.

I don't know about a 'Survivor' style reality show, but the American Idol model worked quite well.

The game I am restarting had the team first formed as part of the show. It involved some serious Mystery Men style auditions, including 'Lemur Man' whose only can climb anything... provided it has handholds... and a rope... securely attached.

One of the more challenging 'trials' was to save a hostage that had a bomb strapped to their chest and was then flung out of a helicopter.

They had 3 phases as it descended to save both the hostage, and defuse or dispose of the bomb before it blew up.

The 'Hostage' used was Mr. Immortal, a villain doing community service as a test dummy on the show. His only power is regeneration and the inability to die.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Glad I asked for feedback. :)

I've decided I'll go with an American Idol-inspired game, and I'll take the great tag ICON. As this will be set in the Uberworld, I'm going to make it an annual event (or twice a year if it will fit) and set it in a new country or geographical location.

The first game will probably be set in the USA, because there's not really much written about the ol' US of A in Uberworld apart from the world's version of the Avengers: Sanction.

So I'll need to come up with a charismatic host and three judges including:

1. one dull one,

2. one female one,

3. one evil one.

I figure I'll make a call for submissions which will serve as the general auditions, and then cut it down to the top ten. Players will need to make up the characters including background and character sheet, and then go up against each other for the title of ICON.

It will be a fixed term game so characters will be bumped off (in one way or another) each game week, and hopefully the characters will either serve as future PCs or become NPCs (player's choice).

I would be awarding XP to characters of course, rising as they head towards the top end. The winner will receive a battle suit or something worth a major amount of points. Not 100% sure on that yet.

There would be restrictions on entry too, such as all entrants must have a Public ID, no criminal record or outstanding warrants.

I've got too many ideas swimming around my head already for the judges, but does anyone want to air their own versions of superhuman judges for Idol/Icon? The Living Radioactive Pizza is one unique approach. :thumbup:

I'm thinking that at least one will be an ex-member of Sanction, the USA's premier team.

The prize might even include membership in the team, although not sure if that would necessarily fit. Maybe they could work as the champion of Los Angeles or something.

Anyway, thanks again, and stay tuned for the actual game if you're interested.

:celebrate

For the "evil" judge: Pinpoint, who can spot the flaws in anything. He has Find Weakness and Detect: Disadvantages at ludicrous levels, and used to use his utilikit to exploit villains' weak points during his short heroic career.

Unfortunately, he has the habit of pointing out other people's flaws in public, which got his dropped from every team he's joined.

Not a Survivor type reality TV show but in a game I'm playing in now our characters are the nominal "stars" of a popular Reality show called MDG:2045(Most Dangerour Game) Wealthy patrons pay to hunt down mutants using advanced equipment hired mercs. If you "win" by survivor 48 your Containment Zone gets additional allotments of food, medicine and other supples based on your performance and ratings.

• 2 weeks later...