What happened to the Champions?

xirr2000

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What happened to the Champions?

So, what's the difference whether Seeker or any of the others appears in official 5th Edition material or not? If you have the 4th Ed. write-ups and want to use them, go ahead. It's not like DoJ is going to come knocking down your door because your campaign differs from the official Champions Universe. Even if you trying to stick close to the official universe, what are you going to do when DoJ publishes Champions Universe Update and it contradicts what has happened in your game? And it's bound to happen.

@#$% the only thing not 5TH on seekers cha sheet is his HTH [Triple Irons?] {quick check the BBB}oops and the cost of combat sense, you can play him as is no problem

]

That and the fact that he's 100 pts. shy of a superhero in 5th ed standards ;)

I really had no problem with Seeker the way he is done. My only problem was with the whole Comic Book Martial Arts thing. I would have preferred a more defined martial art for the character.

Since he had the ninja backstory, we always treated his martial arts as that, though I do agree. It would have been nicer if 4E Champions Universe (1992) has included at least one martial arts style from Ninja Hero (1990). The oversights (BBB & CU) were "corrected" when Watchers of the Dragon came out (1995) and Seeker was finally brought up to his full potential, IMHO.

Incidentally' date=' Seeker was one of the few truly memorable characters in the 4th Edition CU, on a par with Dr Destroyer, Foxbat and Eurostar. Dropping him was a mistake, especially since he seems to have been replaced by the much blander Shugoshin.[/quote']

:thumbup: In my old gaming group, the GMs did a cross-over-like adventure where both PC groups teamed up, along with the Champions and several other heroes (including one of my favorites from WotD, Akimashibaru). The adventure was something akin to Mortal Kombat: Chinese villains being assisted by demons from Chinese hells. Overall, it was a prelude to the Tournament (but Dr. Yin Wu was not behind this assault).

Our group of nearly twenty heroes was gathered outside the place we needed to assault. In front of the place we need to enter are 200 martial arts thugs (black pants, no shirts, red turbans concealing their faces, various weapons in hands) in ten rows deep of twenty across. About half our group consisted of martial artists and hybrid martial artists.

I was running four characters, one of which was Seeker (two were my PCs, the other was Akimashibaru). While the group as a whole was discussing tactics and spreading out, I had Seeker go up to the female brick, Olga, at the front of the team and say with a smile and a wink, "G'day Miss, watch this." He then lept to the front row and did a sweep, hitting three thugs. You may have had to been there, but it got several laughs (and I do a good Paul Hogan/Crocodile Dundee impersonation) and caused combat to begin. (For my own, Akimashibaru felt the need to save/protect his friend Seeker, while my own martial artist wanted the "thrill" of fighting alongside seeker, and my fourth character, Caliber, enjoyed firing explosive rounds into the fray [just not near the teammates]. Of course, other martial artiss and combat lovers joined in right away as well, but Seeker did gain surprise, against both sides. :D

Count me as a Seeker fan.

Take his writeup from Watchers of the Dragon and reimplement it in 5e. Add in Combat Luck to taste. :)

Now, do a search on these boards for an alternate origin for Don Morgan aka Seeker. I forget who posted it, but it takes a bit of the cheese out of his story.

The result - a character I'd be proud to play in any 5e CU campaign.

(Oh, and I prefer Solitare from Ultimate Mentalist 4e to Witchcraft. I'm just sayin', is all.)

(And Jaguar is back... kinda. See Ultimate Metamorph.)

Ok, now you all got me realy interested in this seeker guy. I have read a lot about him and find him very interesting indeed. An australien ninja, feels like 80s morning cartoons... I love 80s morning cartoons... (at least as far as I remember them... Galaxy Rangers anyone)

is there any, any official statement why seeker is no more? I'm very interested in such an official charakter (I came to HERO with 5th and don't know about the old setting)

How about a petition? If there is not an IP problem I would say ask and make an official poll? That would be fun...

Now' date=' do a search on these boards for an alternate origin for Don Morgan aka Seeker. I forget who posted it, but it takes a bit of the cheese out of his story.[/quote']

I believe it was either Bob Greenwade or Lord Liaden. Hmm....

is there any' date=' any official statement why seeker is no more? I'm very interested in such an official charakter (I came to HERO with 5th and don't know about the old setting)[/quote']

Seeker? You mean the guy most often referred to as He-Who-Must-Be-Pummeled-Unconscious?

Eh. He was supremely two-dimensional and extra-cheesy. He was of limited combat value and had very little skills to offset that lack. He was just a cruddy character from the get-go and his 80s-Saturday-Morning-Cartoonness was just too much for a bunch of us to handle.

I'm glad he's gone. Well, it WAS nice to have someone to vent some ire upon.

Actually, the alternate origin for Seeker was crafted by Scott Bennie:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=846663

BTW Hisho, in case you weren't aware, when the rotating character art in the lefthand border comes around to a shirtless blonde guy with a red bandolier across his chest - that's Seeker. :)

mhm... ok... well if this guy is seeker, who's the ninja? ...anyway, I like the concept, well the original backstory might be a pit over-the-top-cheesy and I would do away some of his weapons but I think he's fine.

Ok, maybe this is because I designed an australian karate warrior for an Ninja HERO game... :cool:

(btw... this revised history does not sound cheesy in my ears and I would like to play such a charakter in DC:TAS with slight modifications)

Actually, the alternate origin for Seeker was crafted by Scott Bennie:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=846663

BTW Hisho, in case you weren't aware, when the rotating character art in the lefthand border comes around to a shirtless blonde guy with a red bandolier across his chest - that's Seeker. :)

Thanks for looking that up for the rest of the folks. Me, I already saved it offline... :)

mhm... ok... well if this guy is seeker, who's the ninja? ...anyway, I like the concept, well the original backstory might be a pit over-the-top-cheesy and I would do away some of his weapons but I think he's fine.

Ok, maybe this is because I designed an australian karate warrior for an Ninja HERO game... :cool:

(btw... this revised history does not sound cheesy in my ears and I would like to play such a charakter in DC:TAS with slight modifications)

Oh, the revised history is most definitely non-cheesy. And that's Seeker in his Champions costume, the one he wears most of the time. He has been portrayed in a more ninja-like costume elsewhere (Watchers of the Dragon, a 4th edition supplement, where his character sheet was... nicely updated).

mhm... ok... well if this guy is seeker' date=' who's the ninja?[/quote'] Ah, but Seeker is the ninja. Or a ninja. The ninja in his backstory is just that. Backstory. See Seeker's white pants. Those are from the day when good ninjas wore white, bad ninjas wore black, and ninja in training wore read. But ninja are sneaky, thus Seeker went without the mask (because he has nothing to hide), without the 'shoes' (because he doesn't want to get them dirty), without the shirt (cause he's one wild and crazy Aussie) and now he's a ninja hiding in plain sight! Where you'd least expect it! (Is followed by ninja on the ceiling over the bed and ninja under the bed.)

I thought that since Defender is the only one who lived, the original champions could be brought back (and up to 5th ed standards) and be led by Cavalier from Millennium City, he and Defender don't see eye to eye, it could be cool to have rival superteams in the The MC.

Okay, I'm showing my age. First thing I thought of when I saw the subject line in the topics list was: Flare has been showing up in her own comic relaunch for the past few years, along with Marksman, Giant, Icestar and a renamed Rose. I guess to me the 1st/2nd edition Champions will always be the first Champions I think of - not the 4th edition guys. Then again, didn't Marvel's team featuring Iceman, Hercules, Ghost Rider, Angel and Black Widow come first?

You know ... I'd like to see Crusader and Sunburst (or was it Starburst?) come back as well ... always like Crusader :) I've used him as a Daredevil kind of character in past campaigns ...

It was Starburst. Sunburst was a villain, product of the US military's Project: Sunburst, who gathered other mutated beings with the same origin into a villain team. Last seen in Classic Enemies.

If you've never seen the supplement for 4E Dark Champions, Underworld Enemies, the rewrite of Crusader there is IMHO brilliantly rich from a character-development viewpoint. It gives him a definite Daredevil/Batman cachet.