CHAR: Thor. (Marvel Style)

Enforcer84

Okay, this is Marvel's Thor which has some different rules than what I like to call the "True Thor"

a) All Thor's powers, save for his physical might and durability are properties of his Hammer. He has no Goats (sorry OddHat). And his 'Belt of Strength', Guantlets, and Armor are all considered "Plot device elements" ie they are not general usage.

B) Thor is a very mighty physical being without his Belt. With it he tops most other super heroes. (the belt does not merely give him +5 STR)...It will be included as "optional" for the write up.

c) Thor's gonna do some damage. As Gary pointed out, my Captain America can push the 20d6 envelope with his shield and that is scary.

Thor's worse.

d) This is MY version of Marvel's version of Thor. And Herc is stronger. :tonguewav

Write up should be posted either late tonight, or Monday Night.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAR: Thor. (Marvel Style)

Oh man.. good luck to you if you want to make this a Thor who can do the stuff he was doing in the silver age. Or them Avengers annuals where he'd do crazy crap like contain explosions that were going to take out 1/8th of the universe. Or even the bullet proof, nuke enduring, dip himself into magma and come right back out unscathed Thor..

Or the Thor who can freeze and travel through time..

Or..

Officially' date=' Thor has a STR of 60.[/quote']

Perhaps, but according to the Ultimate Brick, Marvel's "Lift/Press" is different than HERO's "Lift". Marvel assumes "Lift over head" HERO assumes Lift and stagger... according to the Ultimate Brick, even if you broke hard at the 100 ton limit, to lift it over his head, Thor would need a STR of... 65 at least. Okay, that wasn't as impressive a differance as I had first thought...:o

However, Thor has been shown capable to lift a mountain, I believe and to do that he needs a STR of...150?

I don't think it's fair to point out the greatest feat a character has ever performed and use that as a standard for the build. Thor may have "lifted a mountain" at some point in his career (I thought it was the Hulk who did that, though, and in the better-off-ignored Secret Wars no less), but he certainly doesn't use that kind of strength in 99.9% of his fights in the comics.

Just sayin'.

I don't think it's fair to point out the greatest feat a character has ever performed and use that as a standard for the build. Thor may have "lifted a mountain" at some point in his career (I thought it was the Hulk who did that, though, and in the better-off-ignored Secret Wars no less), but he certainly doesn't use that kind of strength in 99.9% of his fights in the comics.

Just sayin'.

Thor definitely performs feats of strength far outstripping the OHOTMU routinely enough to laugh at the notion that there is some 100-200 ton barrier for him.

Thor definitely performs feats of strength far outstripping the OHOTMU routinely enough to laugh at the notion that there is some 100-200 ton barrier for him.

OHOTMU is bogus in any case. (Someday I want to make a master villain named Ohotmu. He's an interdimensional god who scrambles his opponents' powers into unrecognizability.)

I don't know offhand what his STR should be, but he doesn't routinely lift mountains. That much is clear. (Sometimes I think a character's max Push should be proportional to the AP of whatever he's Pushing, to account for such events in comics.)

One thing you need to remember is that Marvel's "Class 100" Strength Characters lift 100 tons minimum. If your "Class 100" your upper limit is unknown. Characters like Wonder Man fall just short of that.(or at lest the pre-energy WM did.)

I would recommend Thor's strength coming in just under Superman's maybe 5points of so less.

Just my 2cents

One thing you need to remember is that Marvel's "Class 100" Strength Characters lift 100 tons minimum. If your "Class 100" your upper limit is unknown. Characters like Wonder Man fall just short of that.(or at lest the pre-energy WM did.)

I would recommend Thor's strength coming in just under Superman's maybe 5points of so less.

Just my 2cents

Even taking into account that the Class 100 is open ended, everything else under that for many many characters is really out of whack. I know they've had Thing as being only able to lift 100 tons on several occasions (primarily to show that the Hulk is in fact stronger)

OHOTMU, is useful for the descriptions of the character and know how old they are. Beyond that, you are really not going to be able to trust it.

TB

If Superman is 125' date=' I'd put Thor at about 115. That lets him be not quite as strong, but with the hammer (what +4d6 HA?) he can put out more raw damage.[/quote']If you look at the fight that Superman and Thor had in the recent Avengers vs JLA, I'd put them at Supes 125, Thor 123.

Thor really beat Supes within an inch of unconsciousness in that fight.

TB

If you look at the fight that Superman and Thor had in the recent Avengers vs JLA, I'd put them at Supes 125, Thor 123.

Thor really beat Supes within an inch of unconsciousness in that fight.

TB

Yeah, but thats cause of that big hammer adding dice to his blows:)

I figure Thor puts out more dice, but Superman has better defenses, so a slugfest is pretty much even.

If Superman is 125' date=' I'd put Thor at about 115. That lets him be not quite as strong, but with the hammer (what +4d6 HA?) he can put out more raw damage.[/quote']

Okay, I'm probably going to go with Thor at 115. That's a nice number and doesn't get his pants in a bunch with Wonder Woman his superior.

my representation of Mjolnir's damage is +5d6

If he throws on his belt his STR goes to 140

if he uses the gloves he can do 'Massive Damage attacks' turning Mjolnir's damage to +10.

That's right; fully armored up, with belt, taking a pushed haymaker, my version of Thor does 38d6 damage. Ultron the hammer is in your chest.

if you got Issue numbers that shows Goldielocks and his two Goats' date=' let me know.[/quote']

Sounds like you're looking for blackmail material...

I'm pretty sure I have seen this at least once. Mid-eighties bearded Thor...unfortunately, that's as close as I can get.

I've always charted Thor's STR as 110ish so 115 is entirely reasonable.

I noticed earlier in the thread that someone had referred to Thor's STR as 60 in Champs terms cause Thor can lift press 100 tons in TOHOTMU.

Way back when I demonstrated a way to correlate the Handbook to Champs that maintains plausibility and character and system integrity.

Now, let's take a few examples. Rogue can lift/press 50 tons. Colossus was originally stated as being able to lift/press 70 tons. The Hulk while calm could do 90 tons and Thor was stated as having Class 100 STR (so 100+ tons). now, if you literally just port those numbers across to Champs you get Rogue 55 STR, Colossus 57 STR, The Hulk 59 STR and Thor 60 STR!

That's just patently stupid is what it is.

Not only does it make no sense conceptually but it betrays the fundamental natures of the characters cause there's no way in hell anyone can plausibly argue that the Hulk only does 1d6 more damage than Rogue.

No way, no how.

But there is a solution. What I discovered is that you can maintain all the good things mentioned above by following the Champs STR table verbatim to the lift/press 50 tons level (55 STR) but from there take the Champs STR value as literally the tonnage lifted.

So, let's look at our old example again.

Under my system of figuring stuff, Rogue is STR 55, Colossus is STR 70 (lift/press 70 tons), the calm Hulk is 90 STR and Thor who has Class 100 STR starts somewhere north of 100 (as I said I put him at 110 and 115 is entirely plausible).

All of a sudden you have STR that make sense within the scope of the game and the characters! Colossus is noticeably stronger than Rogue, the Hulk much moreso (even while calm) and Thor start out and stays scary.

That's my fix for correlating STRs in TOHOTMU to Champs and it also integrates DC characters seamlessly on a par (or therabouts) with Marvel characters.

Just thought I'd offer that. Hope it helps.

Vigil

As per Norse Mythology in Comics

"Tanngnost and Tanngrisni exist in the Marvel Universe, but are rarely ever featured; Thor's hammer eliminates the need for the goat-drawn chariot, since dimensional travel is one of the powers of Mjolnir."

I'm not sure where I found these...

FLYING THUNDER GOATS

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6; [2]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV 5 DCV 5

20 CON 20 13-

10 BODY 0 11-

13 INT -2 12- PER Roll 16-

5 EGO -10 10- ECV: 2

16 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

10 COM 0 11-

5/8 PD 1 Total: 5/8 PD (1/4 rPD)

4/7 ED 0 Total: 4/7 ED (1/4 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

8 REC 0

40 END 0

30 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 40

Movement: Running: 11" / 22"

Swimming: 2" / 4"

Leaping: 4"

Flight: 35" / 280"

Cost Powers END

5 Bite: HKA 1 point (1/2d6 w/STR) 1

10 Kick/Rear: HA +3d6 (15 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 1

1 Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (1 PD/1 ED) 0

9 Armor (3 PD/3 ED) 0

6 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -3" 0

10 Goat's Legs: Running +5" (11" total) 1

14 Life Support (Eating Character only has to eat once per week; Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn; Longevity 200 Years; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) Note: Thunder Goat Magic 0

1 Understanding: Language: English (Basic Conversation) Note: The animal can only understand speech, not speak back, though it may find other ways to communicate.

5 Insightful: +5 INT

3 Brave: +3 PRE Note: Optional, if the animal is also Battle-Trained

12 Sharp-Eared And Keen-Nosed: +4 PER with All Sense Groups 0

40 Flying Thunder Goat Magic: Multipower, 40-point reserve

3u 1) Flight 10", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; +3/4) (40 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (Magic Cart; -1/4) Note: Endless Flight 1

3u 2) Flight 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; +3/4) (40 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (Magic Cart; -1/4) Note: Cross the world 4

4u 3) Free Flight: Flight 15", x8 Noncombat (40 Active Points) Note: Flying Alone 4

4u 4) Healing BODY 4d6 (40 Active Points) Note: Healing Lick 4

4u 5) Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Dimensions, Any Location), x2 Increased Weight (40 Active Points) Note: Anyplace in the Nine Worlds 4

Skills

3 Navigation (Air, Dimensional) 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 137

Total Cost: 177

75+ Disadvantages

15 Physical Limitation: Animal Intelligence Frequently, Greatly Impairing

5 Physical Limitation: Large (4m; -2 DCV, +2 to PER Rolls to perceive) Infrequently, Slightly Impairing

15 Physical Limitation: Very Limited Manipulation Frequently, Greatly Impairing

15 Psychological Limitation: Loyalty To Master (Very Common, Moderate)

20 Psychological Limitation: Domesticated Very Common, Strong

32 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 177