CHAR: Thor. (Marvel Style)

Enforcer84

Re: CHAR: Thor. (Marvel Style)

Officially' date=' Thor has a STR of 60.[/quote']

There are a million and one old threads discussing Marvel Strength vs HERO System STR if you want the full esoterica of it. If you want someone to give you the capsule version just poke AgentX.

Short version though: even if one takes the "class 100" or "Unearthly" Marvel Strength literally to mean 100 tons, that is still a "lift / press" measurement. HERO System Strength is literally a "get off the ground and stagger a few feet with it" measurement (check the rulebook under "Strength").

Thus, even if being purely literal and going for a 100 ton press in the HERO System, it takes more than 60 STR. I usually assume 5 more STR just to keep things on increments of 5 points, but in reality +3 STR would probably be enough to make up the difference.

From a relative stand point however, not getting into tonnage but just looking at who should be stronger than who, and considering characters like Ripper and Grond exist then the STR levels of the Marvel heavy hitters should be higher than 63 - 65 when expressed in HERO System terms to keep them on par with their Champions Universe equivalents.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you're looking for blackmail material...

I'm pretty sure I have seen this at least once. Mid-eighties bearded Thor...unfortunately, that's as close as I can get.

I know of an issue where he's got his goats: It's the last issue in which he's transformed (by Loki, natch) into a frog-man, not long after he was scarred during his battle with Hela (this is when he wore a red cloth to hide his face). That issue also features Volstaag and his daughter Hildy freeing him from his frog-man state. Alas, I packed the issue away just last night and can't tell you the number.

I generally go with the notion that pushing your Strength can at most double the characteristic value... Thus, a normal schmoe with STR 8 can at most push to STR 16... Someone with STR 20 can at most push to STR 40, etcetera...

If Thor has been observed to do something requiring a Strength of 150, then his Strength should be 75 or more... I'd guess STR 75, or STR 100 with the belt, since *I* would personally use the belt if I were gonna lift the mountain... Remember that Superman is vulnerable to Magic... If Thor gets double STUN on Superman with Mjolnir, that can account for the whupping without requiring Ginormous amounts of damage dice for him...:)

I'm not sure where I found these...

FLYING THUNDER GOATS

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6; [2]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV 5 DCV 5

20 CON 20 13-

10 BODY 0 11-

13 INT -2 12- PER Roll 16-

5 EGO -10 10- ECV: 2

16 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

10 COM 0 11-

5/8 PD 1 Total: 5/8 PD (1/4 rPD)

4/7 ED 0 Total: 4/7 ED (1/4 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

8 REC 0

40 END 0

30 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 40

Movement: Running: 11" / 22"

Swimming: 2" / 4"

Leaping: 4"

Flight: 35" / 280"

Cost Powers END

5 Bite: HKA 1 point (1/2d6 w/STR) 1

10 Kick/Rear: HA +3d6 (15 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 1

1 Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (1 PD/1 ED) 0

9 Armor (3 PD/3 ED) 0

6 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -3" 0

10 Goat's Legs: Running +5" (11" total) 1

14 Life Support (Eating Character only has to eat once per week; Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn; Longevity 200 Years; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) Note: Thunder Goat Magic 0

1 Understanding: Language: English (Basic Conversation) Note: The animal can only understand speech, not speak back, though it may find other ways to communicate.

5 Insightful: +5 INT

3 Brave: +3 PRE Note: Optional, if the animal is also Battle-Trained

12 Sharp-Eared And Keen-Nosed: +4 PER with All Sense Groups 0

40 Flying Thunder Goat Magic: Multipower, 40-point reserve

3u 1) Flight 10", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; +3/4) (40 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (Magic Cart; -1/4) Note: Endless Flight 1

3u 2) Flight 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; +3/4) (40 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (Magic Cart; -1/4) Note: Cross the world 4

4u 3) Free Flight: Flight 15", x8 Noncombat (40 Active Points) Note: Flying Alone 4

4u 4) Healing BODY 4d6 (40 Active Points) Note: Healing Lick 4

4u 5) Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Dimensions, Any Location), x2 Increased Weight (40 Active Points) Note: Anyplace in the Nine Worlds 4

Skills

3 Navigation (Air, Dimensional) 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 137

Total Cost: 177

75+ Disadvantages

15 Physical Limitation: Animal Intelligence Frequently, Greatly Impairing

5 Physical Limitation: Large (4m; -2 DCV, +2 to PER Rolls to perceive) Infrequently, Slightly Impairing

15 Physical Limitation: Very Limited Manipulation Frequently, Greatly Impairing

15 Psychological Limitation: Loyalty To Master (Very Common, Moderate)

20 Psychological Limitation: Domesticated Very Common, Strong

32 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 177

They are might be from the Menace out of Time adventure.

They are my Flying Thunder Goats from my "Thumper God" character, posted several times on these boards.

From now on I add "Character by Robert Dorf" at the bottom.

Or, you could add, "Character by Chad Riley" to the bottom. I won't beat you up over it :D

Thor, God of Thunder

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

115 STR 105 32- Lift 209.7ktons; 23d6 [11]

20 DEX 30 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

80 CON 140 25-

40 BODY 60 17-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

25 EGO 30 14- ECV: 8

50 PRE 40 19- PRE Attack: 10d6

20 COM 5 13-

35 PD 12 Total: 35 PD (0 rPD)

35 ED 19 Total: 35 ED (0 rED)

5 SPD 20 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

39 REC 0

160 END 0

160 STUN 22 Total Characteristic Cost: 488

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 23"/46"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

Asgardian Combat Arts

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 All-Out +1 -2 Weapon +4 DC Strike

4 Attack +0 +2 Weapon +2 DC Strike

4 Charge +0 -2 Weapon +2 DC +v/5 Strike, FMove

4 Defend +2 +2 Block, Abort

5 Probe +1 +3 Weapon Strike

4 Resist +0 +0 130 STR to resist Shove; Block, Abort

4 Shove +0 +0 130 STR to Shove

0 Weapon Element: Hammers, Axes, Maces, and Picks

1 Weapon Element: Blades

1 Weapon Element: Clubs

1 Weapon Element: Empty Hand

Perks

5 Avengers ID Card: Access: Avengers Mansion

8 Avengers ID Card: Computer Link: AVENGERS Database

5 Avengers Assemble: Fringe Benefit: Membership: The Avengers (Active Membership)

1 Avengers Stipend: Money: Well Off

2 Oh my God! The Avengers!: Reputation: Member of the Avengers (A small to medium sized group) 14-, +2/+2d6

10 Prince of Asgard: Fringe Benefit: Prince

15 The Mighty Thor!: Reputation: The God of Thunder (A large group) 14-, +5/+5d6

5 Avengers Gear: Vehicles & Bases: Quinjets, Avengers Mansion, other offices - Individual Contribution

Talents

14 Thor fears not: Fearless

9 The Warrior's Skills: Lightning Reflexes: +6 DEX to act first with All Actions

Skills

30 Experience, right? : +3 Overall

56 I have been a warrior for more than five thousand years: +7 with All Combat

3 Stop! Hammer Time!: Power: Brick Tricks 13-

2 Animal Handler (Other: Magical Goats) 19-

1 Forensic Medicine 8-

3 High Society 19-

3 Hoist 12-

3 Interrogation 19-

2 KS: Arcane And Occult Lore 11-

6 KS: Asgardian History & Customs 15-

3 KS: Dragons 12-

3 KS: Infectious Disease Control and Prevention 12-

3 KS: Legends And Lore 12-

3 KS: Physical Therapy 12-

3 Language: English (completely fluent)

2 Language: German (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

3 Language: Norwegian (completely fluent)

0 Language: Old Norse (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

3 Paramedics 12-

3 SS: Combat Medicine 12-

3 SS: Emergency Medicine 12-

3 SS: Medicine 12-

4 Survival (Arctic/Subarctic, Mountain) 12-

2 TF: Quinjet

3 TF: Riding Animals, Chariots

3 Tactics 12-

3 Teamwork 13-

4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 267

Total Cost: 755

200+ Disadvantages

10 Hunted: Avengers Liason 11- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 Hunted: Foes of the Avengers 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

10 Social Limitation: Must honor Avengers Bylaws & Charter or face expulsion (Occasionally, Major)

520 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 755

Background/History:

Personality/Motivation:

Quote:

Powers/Tactics:

Campaign Use:

Appearance:

okay, bear in mind that Thor (and Hercules) and most Asgardians (and Olympians) will have at least 50% Dam Red and some regeneration. Resistant defenses will be similar to Wonder Woman? I dont' know yet.

I haven't given him scholar or scientist because I don't think he deserves them. I may be giving Thor a hard time but he has a lot on his plate and I dont' think he pays as much attention to detail as the mortals do. This is also why I didn't give him KS: Superhumans.

I'm going to suprise you and actually agree with the ego rating. Thor's a resilient fella and all, but all kinds of people have danced around his head. Powerful ones, sure, but they've still done it.

As for the resistant defenses, I'd say he has a good share of em. Some depictions of Thor may not be completely bullet proof, but a whole bunch are. And some damage he's taken would have to be straight up killing.

Just to throw this out there: the official HERO system writeup for The Hulk gives the Green Goliath a calm strength of 70 and a maximum Hulk Smash strength of 130.

There is no way Goldilocks is almost as strong as a fully enraged Hulk without the Belt of Strength, so I hope if/when you get around to stating up Banner's better half that into account.

okay, bear in mind that Thor (and Hercules) and most Asgardians (and Olympians) will have at least 50% Dam Red and some regeneration. Resistant defenses will be similar to Wonder Woman? I dont' know yet.

I haven't given him scholar or scientist because I don't think he deserves them. I may be giving Thor a hard time but he has a lot on his plate and I dont' think he pays as much attention to detail as the mortals do. This is also why I didn't give him KS: Superhumans.

I aagree about the science/medicine thing. I usually see him having to turn back into Donald Blake for that sort of thing. It's the traditional personality swap multiform. Thor is one form, the weilder of the stick is the other.

Just to throw this out there: the official HERO system writeup for The Hulk gives the Green Goliath a calm strength of 70 and a maximum Hulk Smash strength of 130.

There is no way Goldilocks is almost as strong as a fully enraged Hulk without the Belt of Strength, so I hope if/when you get around to stating up Banner's better half that into account.

this has really been covered to death. Enforcer is not basing his thing on OHTMU or the marvel roleplaying game or the official hero stat thing, He is basing it on two things 1. the strength he worked out for Superman and the other DC characters which is in turn based on his interperatation of their comic feats. 2. THor's feats of strength in his own comics.

I know that Rage. I'm saying that Thor, without the belt, is nothing compared to a pissed off Hulk. I also think Thor, without the belt, probably isn't within 10 pts of Supermans STR, but Enforcer gave Supes a fairly huge Cosmic VPP, so massive self buffage is always possible for Clark to help take care of that.

In any event, what I'm really getting at is I fully expect a pissed off Hulk to be extremely scarry once Chad get's around to the writup ;)