• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAR: Thor. (Marvel Style)

Other optional stuff that could be included is the:

xd movement - usable versus others

BOD drain

Thor generally uses these as last resort options

*For myself, I try to build my Marvel/DC writeups using the CU characters as benchmarks, it helps prevent this kind of power escalation, however, everybody has their own way to do things. Good job, Chadster. :thumbup:

Other optional stuff that could be included is the:

xd movement - usable versus others

BOD drain

Thor generally uses these as last resort options

*For myself, I try to build my Marvel/DC writeups using the CU characters as benchmarks, it helps prevent this kind of power escalation, however, everybody has their own way to do things. Good job, Chadster. :thumbup:

Power escalation? Wendy the Champions Maid is 750 pts.

I like him a lot, and generally agree on the Restrainable idea. However, we rarely see him doing more than one thing at a time with the hammer, and it's pretty standard to show a panel of him standing there waiting for the hammer to come back after he's thrown it. I might define, say, the EB attack as taking extra time or having a 1-phase "lockout"-type limitation. It always returns to his hand, but not that fast comparatively.

He's also used his wind-control powers for big-*** TK effects that aren't really covered by the Change Environment- the one I think of is the FF issue where Terrax separated Manhattan Island and flew it off, and Thor used his wind to blow the freaking Atlantic Ocean out of the Holland Tunnel for several minutes so Iron Man could fly all the cars away. He regularly blows characters around the map, os I think a big TK is called for.

Also, depending on when this writeup covers, he either can multiform into Blake or at least change his clothes, etc. as Sigurd or Jake. And while you're right, he's not really up on local Earth supers, he ought to have a knowledge skill of the cosmic heavy-hitters, like Eternity, Galactus, Ego, etc.

And lastly, I don't think a 10 point perk covers the enormous amounts of whup-*** he can call down from Balder, Sif, the Warriors Three and the Einherjararararararar-whatchamacallums, let alone Odin the Allfather when the situation calls for it. Otherwise, he's the bomb.

My own writeup is not nearly so big (about 1100 pts.), but it's mostly a question of scale; I have him at 90 base STR (100 w/ belt), with CON only about 50 and 30 Body. (The rest of my MU is similarly scaled.) dw

I like him a lot, and generally agree on the Restrainable idea. However, we rarely see him doing more than one thing at a time with the hammer, and it's pretty standard to show a panel of him standing there waiting for the hammer to come back after he's thrown it. I might define, say, the EB attack as taking extra time or having a 1-phase "lockout"-type limitation. It always returns to his hand, but not that fast comparatively.

He's also used his wind-control powers for big-*** TK effects that aren't really covered by the Change Environment- the one I think of is the FF issue where Terrax separated Manhattan Island and flew it off, and Thor used his wind to blow the freaking Atlantic Ocean out of the Holland Tunnel for several minutes so Iron Man could fly all the cars away. He regularly blows characters around the map, os I think a big TK is called for.

Also, depending on when this writeup covers, he either can multiform into Blake or at least change his clothes, etc. as Sigurd or Jake. And while you're right, he's not really up on local Earth supers, he ought to have a knowledge skill of the cosmic heavy-hitters, like Eternity, Galactus, Ego, etc.

And lastly, I don't think a 10 point perk covers the enormous amounts of whup-*** he can call down from Balder, Sif, the Warriors Three and the Einherjararararararar-whatchamacallums, let alone Odin the Allfather when the situation calls for it. Otherwise, he's the bomb.

My own writeup is not nearly so big (about 1100 pts.), but it's mostly a question of scale; I have him at 90 base STR (100 w/ belt), with CON only about 50 and 30 Body. (The rest of my MU is similarly scaled.) dw

Ah! TK! I forgotteth that in the windspeed EC! Okay, I'll fix that.

Thanks for giving my writeups the onceover.

Ah! TK! I forgotteth that in the windspeed EC! Okay, I'll fix that.

Thanks for giving my writeups the onceover.

A VPP for Mjolnir would also let Thor improvise... One nasty thing I saw him do was throw Mjolnir, and then pick up Loki by the throat... Mjolnir must return to Thor's hand, no matter what is in the way... Even if it's Loki's head... Mjolnir does all kinds of nasty damage to anything getting in its way...

• 8 months later...

A few things about Thor, and mind you this is coming from a Thor FREAK, but still worth listening to even if a bit skewed.

-Thor is a lot like Superman in that he rarely ever touches any of his potential and he needs a serious Psych lim on that. During the write up I did with the guys I play with we called it 'I say thee nay!'(Although what I'm talking about is beyond the level he hits when he says that. Maybe it should be called 'Ultron we would have words with thee'.)

-Thor is the most powerful terrestrial 'bound' hero in the Marvel universe. Not only does he have the power at his disposal that dwarfs pretty much anyone else that could be brought up he also has incredible SKILL in how to use it. Its a pretty easily overlooked fact about Thor considering that he is on a team with the greatest team leader in comics, but the guy can do a lot more than just point hammer, knock down bad guy. He just rarely has to.

-Thor has an incredibly powerful will. He has been controlled, but it is not easy to do by any means.

-Thor does have to breathe, but he can hold his breath a very long time.

-Thor is bullet proof to a point, but amongst the bricks of the Marvel universe he is not as resistant as Colossus or the Hulk and he has been shot(high calibre armor piercing rounds), cut, and stabbed but I can't recall his bones having ever been broken.

-Thor's weather control powers should be limited to rain, t-storms, etc. I've seen write-ups with a broader control but I don't see how that's in the spirit of things.

-Thor's tears can cure cancer, too bad he's never cried.

-Thor is bound by all kinds of codes of honor and oaths and they have bitten him in the arse more than once.

-There is no such thing as a Thanos bot and how dare Marvel writers try and rape one of the greatest moments in comic history.

-Thor could beat Spider-Man, unlike Firelord.

-I disagree with the assertion that certain things Thor has used should be considered 'plot devices'. Much like Batman, Thor has resources at his disposal that are not readily apparent and are, indeed a deus ex machina of sorts. That's the character though. He has the Odin-power but rarely uses it, Mjolnir has a power pool of its own that is pretty impressive(Ask the Juggernaught.), he has his belt which effectively doubles his strength(The doubling of strength has been harped on MANY times in the comics. That's point blank what it does, doubles it, so think about where you put that str initially.), and the list goes on.

Anyway, those are a few of my thoughts on Odin's favorite son. Now, go forth and smack something with a hammer.

Oh yeah, great write-up BTW but the psych lim really needs to be there as its one of his biggest staples.

His enraged goes beyond Sif too. Innocents, Captain America, The Warriors Three, Baldur, and Hercules being harmed in his presence have all set it off Certian enemies have set it off as well without harming anyone but just by showing up. Kurse, and Surtur both come to mind.

-There is no such thing as a Thanos bot and how dare Marvel writers try and rape one of the greatest moments in comic history.

Are you talking about the Thanos clones deal? You can lay the blame for that entirely at the feet of Jim Starlin.

Reportedly, Starlin thought some portrayals of Thanos by other writers didn't fit his character, so he retconned many of them as clones.

Thanos is Starlin's "child", so he gets to call the shots on him.

Are you talking about the Thanos clones deal? You can lay the blame for that entirely at the feet of Jim Starlin.

Reportedly, Starlin thought some portrayals of Thanos by other writers didn't fit his character, so he retconned many of them as clones.

Thanos is Starlin's "child", so he gets to call the shots on him.

Yeah, sometimes a writer should know when something is good as opposed to being mad that his 'baby' got beat in a fight.

-Thor is bullet proof to a point, but amongst the bricks of the Marvel universe he is not as resistant as Colossus or the Hulk and he has been shot(high calibre armor piercing rounds), cut, and stabbed but I can't recall his bones having ever been broken.

Well, there was that time Hela cursed him, making his bones brittle.

Thor vs Silver Surfer? lol anyone ever try a hand at coverting surfer?

There were a couple of detailed Surfer writeups posted on the old forums, for 4E HERO, which I had cause to repost to the current forums. You can read them starting here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=194293