WWYCD? The Trap

McCoy

For whatever reason, your character is looking for a low level street thug that hasn't been seen in three or four days. By whatever tracking skill or enhanced sense the character might have, the target is tracked to a plot of land, some three to five acres, on the outskirts of Campagine City. The land is surrounded by an eight foot chain link fence, topped by razor wire, with plenty of "No Tresspassing" and "Danger" signs. There is one gate, padlocked. From outside the fence your character can see several satellite dishes, two radio or television transmitter antennas, a cell phone tower, and a telephone microwave relay. Jumping the gate your character finds nothing unusual about any of the towers, but some two-thirds of the way from the gate to the back fence they discover a pit. Exactly one scale inch accross. Your character is about to look over the edge when a large bird flyes over. When the bird is near the center of the pit it errupts in what appears to be a 10d6 RKA, area effect, line (Straight up).

Examining the pit (the RKA takes a while to reset), your character finds the remains of five people, including the thug they were looking for.

Bureaucratics will reveil that the well-fenced antenna farm is owned by Ralph Richguy. Detective skill will lead to Ralph's not incredibly Secret ID as the Obsessed Avenger, a very iron age Martial Artist / Gadgeteer. If your character has any reputation as a Good Guy, the Obsessed Avenger will readily admit to setting the trap. Some times he is up against an opponent out of his league, and a strategic withdrawal to the antenna farm gets the fight away from civilians, and allows him to lure them into the booby trap. He absolutely refuses to disarm the trap, it has saved his live three times already. If someone who was not trying to kill him blundered into it, he regrets that, but the property is fenced and posted, if they were there they were tresspassing or worse.

WWYCD?

Re: WWYCD? The Trap

Starguard -- be horrified, insincerely smile and nod, fly away, the guys with the white coats -- and the other guys with the blue suits and guns -- will be showing up soon.

Dr. Pain -- *conks* Obsessed Avenger on the head, likewise.

Baron von Darien -- "... you know, that's actually a very clever idea. Do you have a spare key to the property that I might use? Oh, and I might suggest that you improve your fencing..."

I think my characters would be pretty unanimous in kicking his @$$ and hauling him to justice. Even Audra Blue, who has a true vigilante streak.

Anthem and Uncle Slam would both dismantle the thing with their bare hands. (For anthem it would take much longer, though she'd likley weather the blasts long enough EDIT: WHOOPS! RKA dummy, not EB! Reverse course!)

Blackberry S. Firr would have a simple question for the Obsessed Avenger:

"What happens if somebody happens to fly overhead? Will they get killed like that poor birdy?"

"If they are flying over at 100 meters or less, below the tops of the antennas, yes. No one has a legitimate reason to fly over that low that close to the antennas. Above 100 meters they'll be out of the area of effect."

...Anthem can take repeated 10d6 RKAs?

:eek:

Hah! Sorry, didn't see RKA in the listing :jawdrop: . Kind of a BIG oversight on my part. No, she definitely couldn't. She's probably live through one shot, but once she was KO'd there'd be a problem. So it would be a matter of calling in bigger guns for the disabling. In most cases it would involve going underneath the problem and approaching from another angle.

In fact, no one in my campaign world could handle repeated shots from that. Glad I don't make stuff like that in my campaign!

Soulbarb would probably react in similar fashion to Baron Von Darien, and see if she can get him to improve his methods for deterring regular folks from triggering the trap accidentally. Electrify the fence (to a non-lethal level.) Carry around an activating device to make sure the trap will only trigger when he's nearby and wants it to be active. That sort of thing.

Then she'll go back and do a bit more research on the Obsessed Avenger. If she finds he's of reasonably sound judgement otherwise and is not deliberately killing people who don't deserve it, she'll make a note to keep an eye on him but otherwise let him be. As for the existence of the trap itself? Doesn't bother her in the slightest.

Soulbarb would probably react in similar fashion to Baron Von Darien, and see if she can get him to improve his methods for deterring regular folks from triggering the trap accidentally. Electrify the fence (to a non-lethal level.) Carry around an activating device to make sure the trap will only trigger when he's nearby and wants it to be active. That sort of thing.

Then she'll go back and do a bit more research on the Obsessed Avenger. If she finds he's of reasonably sound judgement otherwise and is not deliberately killing people who don't deserve it, she'll make a note to keep an eye on him but otherwise let him be. As for the existence of the trap itself? Doesn't bother her in the slightest.

Willing to electrify the fence, while pointing out that there are already signs every 20 feet along the fenceline warning that there is dangerous equiptment inside the fence. Not willing to go with an activating device, those can be copied or jammed.

Background: think Batman/Punisher hybred. Considers himself Judge, Jury and Executioner, but is not handing out death sentences for jaywalkers. Has been know to turn unarmed perps over to police beaten but alive. Considers anyone who uses deadly force in the commission of a felony fair game.

Willing to electrify the fence, while pointing out that there are already signs every 20 feet along the fenceline warning that there is dangerous equiptment inside the fence. Not willing to go with an activating device, those can be copied or jammed.

Background: think Batman/Punisher hybred. Considers himself Judge, Jury and Executioner, but is not handing out death sentences for jaywalkers. Has been know to turn unarmed perps over to police beaten but alive. Considers anyone who uses deadly force in the commission of a felony fair game.

Uh oh, it's the Harbinger of Justice's Secret ID!

:eek:

Aside from power set, that's a pretty fair description of Soulbarb herself, actually. :D

"If they are flying over at 100 meters or less' date=' below the tops of the antennas, yes. No one has a legitimate reason to fly over that low that close to the antennas. Above 100 meters they'll be out of the area of effect."[/quote']

Blackberry would be most distraught at this answer.

"So what if, say, Arachno-Dude was chasing some villain, and leapt overhead? He'd be fried too, wouldn't he?"

Blackberry isn't the most able combatant, but she's got lots of friends who she could call for help. She'd sidle away, and use the power of her cell phone!

Enforcer "This is very illegal. Have it disarmed and or dismantled in a week. Otherwise, I'm putting you away."

"...and believe me, deadly force will be met with painful rebuttles."

Ithecles "What an invention. Hephaestus might be impressed. I am not."

And with that, the half brother of Herakles destroyed the trap using his Zeus begotten powers. The Vigilante disappeared. Rumors of a trip to Tartarus abound.

Meeb would dismantle the device; he could take repeated shots, a slightly above average roll wouldn't stun him, and he'd only take 7 body* - and he has regen. He would then take in the twit who built it.

Blackcat wouldn't even listen to his excuses, she'd beat the crap out of him, destroy the device, and have him taken in for murder/manslaughter - whichever was appropriate.

Ballistic would use a spell to make the machine backfire and destroy itself next time it fired, and after such happened, he would go get the guy.

Sift would do everything she could to bring him in, and call on her teammated to dismantle the device.

I play characters that consider lethal Iron Age "heroes" to be no different than villians. Blackcat fully intends to bring in the Harbinger at some point, considering him a mass murderer not a hero.

* A max roll would knock him to -60 stun and -3 body. And the regen would kick in, so he wouldn't die. I love 75% damage reduction. :)

Blackcat wouldn't even listen to his excuses' date=' she'd beat the crap out of him, destroy the device, and have him taken in for murder/manslaughter - whichever was appropriate.[/quote']

Technically Murder in the Second Degree, "Reckless Disreguard."

Yeah. I knew there was one of those. She'd know. I don't. :)

As long as the prosicutor she takes this to knows.

Let's see, there was the thug you were tracking, the three villians the Obsessed Avenger claims he lured into the trap, that's a total of four, yet there were five bodies in the pit.

Doesn't really change anything, just suprised abssolutely no one said they would make any attempt to identify the fifth body. Though I suppose since the consensus is "Report this to The Proper Authorities" the task of IDing the remains fallus under "Their job, not mine."