Clearing Away Soil

BobGreenwade

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Clearing Away Soil

This is one of those problems where I would break normal consrtuction rules and ask first: what do you want the sfx to be? That might give a clearer idea of the effect you are after.
The specific effect is for a 27th-century device that an archaeologist sets up and sets to a particular substance -- either natural soil, or a particular type of rock -- and points into an area. The device then starts eating away at the material, leaving everything else behind.

PS: Archaeologist

+12 Overall Levels, Only to move Archeology Tasks down the time chart by 4 places (-2), 40 real points.

So, it would normally take the Super Archaeologist 1 day to carefully clear the area. Using whatever SFX, it will now take only 1 Turn.

Also, if it would normally take 10 years to find a new site, Super Archaeologist can now do it in just 1 day.

Super Archaeologist rocks. ;)

How about drain BODY: that's what I tend to use for disintegration attacks, and most materials don't have PowDef.

Also you can buy Variable Limitation. I reckon 'only v soi'l, or 'only v a particular type of rock' has to be worth -, so if you buy variable limitation at the -1/2 level, it lets you define what it is used against: it could be any material of a similar type. OK that is using a limitation to your advantage, but it is always LIMITING so I don't feel too bad about it.

I think it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Anything that removes dirt in an area, but doesn't suspend the 'finds' won't help an archeologist. They need to know how deep something is in the soil so that they can tell how old it is.

For a really cool effect, I'd go with Invisibility UAA, AE (any shape), with Fringe effect, only vs Dirt/Soil. with the Special Effect of some sort of Electronic VR Grid thing that strips away the soil, but leaves all the goodies suspended exactly as they are in the ground so that they can be measured precises before being dug up.

Peace,

keith

Tom Swift had a device like this. A ray that dissolved unwanted matter and left the stuff you wanted behind. I'd call it an RKA; Only Versus Soil, Dirt, Dust, Rock, and so on. Make is One Hex AOE and you can slowly strip away layers of dirt until you expose what you want.

Other limitations would be No or Limited Range, Extra Time, Gradual Effect, and No Knockback. Oh, and Focus of some sort.

I think it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Anything that removes dirt in an area' date=' but doesn't suspend the 'finds' won't help an archeologist. They need to know how deep something is in the soil so that they can tell how old it is.[/quote']

its not just the depth of the artifact thats important . some of the most important stuff is fond in the soil, things like post holes that are little more than discoloration are of great importance. its a little like reading the rings of a tree to look at weather patterns and events. if you simply made the dirt disappear "poof" you would be destroying the sight and in todays world would be breaking a number of laws.......:D

PS OddHat gets my vote for the best build:thumbup:

The specific effect is for a 27th-century device that an archaeologist sets up and sets to a particular substance -- either natural soil' date=' or a particular type of rock -- and points into an area. The device then starts eating away at the material, leaving everything else behind.[/quote']

My question would be, how do you plan on usng this as a plot device? Is some vile villain going to attack the sleeping archaeoligists, steal their finds then tie them up under the device and set it for human flesh (only to have the brilliant doctor kick the machine and have it luckily reset to rope due to a malfuction mentioned previously in the episode)?

If it doesn't actually do anything important (for the story), than it's really no more important than a library card. And I don't care how fancy your library card is, and even if you can check out a book by just walking into the library, whispering the title and have it appear in your hands so you can walk right out, it's still just a library card and doesn't cost anything.

The object should re-appear after you drain it's BOD' date=' shouldn't it? [/quote']

How cool would that be? You 'disintegrate' the matrix, walk into the hole and get the artefacts out then, slowly, the martix re-appears, leaving the site apparently undisturbed. OK not so good for ancient cities, but terribly terribly ecologically friendly :)

My question would be' date=' how do you plan on usng this as a plot device? Is some vile villain going to attack the sleeping archaeoligists, steal their finds then tie them up under the device and set it for human flesh (only to have the brilliant doctor kick the machine and have it luckily reset to rope due to a malfuction mentioned previously in the episode)?[/quote']It's not so much its effect directly, but ways -- such as what you mention -- that it can be affected, sabotaged, Suppressed, etc.

It's not so much its effect directly' date=' but ways -- such as what you mention -- that it can be affected, sabotaged, Suppressed, etc.[/quote']

I'd just say it's PS: Archaeology and a really expensive tool then. If you need it sabotaged, any Mechanics, Electronics or Systems Operation roll can do that, and if it really must be Suppressed, any Any One Electrical/Technological Power At A Time" should do it (regardless of the effect roll). If you're not gonna try and melt the PCs, or at least their DNPCs, it's probably not worth the time working out stats for it.

The object should re-appear after you drain it's BOD' date=' shouldn't it? How about an RKA vs Power Def, Does BOD?[/quote']

(with thanks to Steve Long): page 151 of 5er - GM may rule Body drained objects don't recover normally but need 'repair' - so potentially the soil will go away and not return until repaired (perhaps the machine transports it to an extradimensional space or phases it out of reality, but can be returned....unfortunately living objects (if it is tuned to flesh) can't be 'repaired......)

+12 Overall Levels, Only to move Archeology Tasks down the time chart by 4 places (-2), 40 real points.

So, it would normally take the Super Archaeologist 1 day to carefully clear the area. Using whatever SFX, it will now take only 1 Turn.

Also, if it would normally take 10 years to find a new site, Super Archaeologist can now do it in just 1 day.

That was what I was thinking, too. To look even cooler, add Ranged to it. :)

I all this would do is make the Super Archaeologist faster, but it would still physically require him to do the heavy lifting. I think from the SFX described you are still going to need a power.

TB