Clearing Away Soil

BobGreenwade

So, a bit of background...

For an archaeologist at a dig site, one of the most important things is to be able to clear away regular soil without damaging what's contained therein. One dare not simply dig away willy-nilly with shovels, or (worse yet) use a backhoe; much more care must be taken to preserve the artifacts in the ground, be they dinosaur fossils, ancient pottery, or whatever else.

So how would you write up the ability to do this in Hero System terms?

The basic power is the ability to clear away soil while leaving behind denser materials such as pottery, bones, and so forth. This would seem fairly simple (a very low EB or RKA, enough to damage 0 DEF soil without damaging the other stuff, with AOE) except that sometimes what has to be cleared away is solid rock.

Any recommendations would be considered from the ample collective creativity of the Hero community.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Clearing Away Soil

A few things that come to mind:

EB or KA with Area Of Effect, Selective Target, plus an Enhanced Sense like N-Ray Vision to perceive what to avoid hitting;

Telekinesis with Fine Manipulation to avoid damaging fragile items;

Tunneling with Limited Medium, leaving behind everything that's not of that medium;

For something more exotic, Extra-Dimensional Movement, Usable As Attack, Only vs. Soil and Rock;

And of course, the always-reliable and -maligned Transform. :P

This is my understanding of what you are asking:

The Golden Digger is a famuous archeologist. She waves her hands and bones and pot sherds are exposed to the light of day, untouched and intact.

I'd probably go with a Major Transform, dirt/detritus to air.

OR

TK, Fine Manip.

Unless they want to do it at Combat Speeds' date=' in which case an archaeologists training probably won't help. They take their time for a reason... it's hard work.[/quote']

Unless you're Indiana Jones, why would you want to use your PS: Archologist in combat speed?

I would give that as part of PS: archaeologist.

Oh. Heh. I just assumed it was meant to be at combat speed. Otherwise, yes, the PS would be more than sufficient.

I can also see a separate KS or INT based skill about excavations, the same way I could see concentrations in chemical dating, languages, pottery, restoration or anything else.

Why not just zap the good stuff up to the surface and leave the dirt where it is?

Teleport, AE, UAA, Increased Mass, Ranged, Only vs Items of Archeological Value

This one works for pottery or small items, but not if they Super-Archeologists it trying to unearth a city. He'd still want the dirt gone instead of the items above.

Though, both powers could be useful to have each in their own right.

TB