Anita Blake Vampire hunter

shadowcat1313

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anita Blake Vampire hunter

While it would be nice to see a write up for Anita. I'd hope that it would be around Obsidian Butterfly that the write up was taken. I think it just started to get plain, odd, to say the least, after that.

I would give it a shot but I don't seem to have the knack for capturing characters from other media and porting them over to Hero. I keep forgetting important things (oh, like ED). :)

While it would be nice to see a write up for Anita. I'd hope that it would be around Obsidian Butterfly that the write up was taken. I think it just started to get plain' date=' odd, to say the least, after that.[/quote']

No 'effin' kiddin'.

I dumped my whole collection soon after that because everything went to heck and the stories became (IMO) garbage.

Let me say this, Anita Blake Vampire Hunter, as initially conceived and written, would make an awesome game setting. You have magicians, vampires, werebeasts, magical beings, spells, and the like, all mixed into the modern world, which is trying to adjust to the idea of vampires, and werewolves, zombies, and ghosts. PCs could be part of a "Spook Squad" or be freelance PIs and/or monster-hunters. And the PCs could be monsters themselves! One could run it LKH-style, as a glorified Dark Shadows-ish soap opera (esp. as a PBEM), or as Kolchack: The Night Stalker, with action-adventure the top priority. There's even the WOD angle, with vampiric PCs struggling to adapt to their new forms and needs and trying to fit back in to regular society as well as the ancient world of the undead.

The only problem is, Hamilton decided to increase the sex content, as well as the BDSM-stuff, which I found to be a huge turn-off. That, and Anita gets so powerful she's somewhat boring to read about.

Let me say this' date=' [i']Anita Blake Vampire Hunter[/i], as initially conceived and written, would make an awesome game setting. You have magicians, vampires, werebeasts, magical beings, spells, and the like, all mixed into the modern world, which is trying to adjust to the idea of vampires, and werewolves, zombies, and ghosts. PCs could be part of a "Spook Squad" or be freelance PIs and/or monster-hunters. And the PCs could be monsters themselves! One could run it LKH-style, as a glorified Dark Shadows-ish soap opera (esp. as a PBEM), or as Kolchack: The Night Stalker, with action-adventure the top priority. There's even the WOD angle, with vampiric PCs struggling to adapt to their new forms and needs and trying to fit back in to regular society as well as the ancient world of the undead.

The only problem is, Hamilton decided to increase the sex content, as well as the BDSM-stuff, which I found to be a huge turn-off. That, and Anita gets so powerful she's somewhat boring to read about.

I agree completely. The first several books had me completely entranced.

The second part.. the sex didn't bother me much, nor the BDSM. Anita as a character simply evovled into a Mary Sue, and it became boring. You could see this starting when she killed the Boggle.

I agree completely. The first several books had me completely entranced.

The second part.. the sex didn't bother me much, nor the BDSM. Anita as a character simply evovled into a Mary Sue, and it became boring. You could see this starting when she killed the Boggle.

I think my issue with the sex was that everyone who was "X" (i.e: all were-leopards, all were-wolves) were into bondage, domination, sadism, and so on. They became carbon copies of each other.

Boggle... when was that?

ok, I've read 3 books so far, not in order

Guilty Pleasures

Blue Moon

Burnt Offerings

and I am working on Obsidian Butterfly now

heres what I've gathered about her so far

she can animate zombies and heal via tantric magic

she can sense the age of a living being

she is at least partially immune to disease and bloodborn pathogens

she has a major mind link with a high powered vampire and a high powered werewolf that doesnt seem to have a distance limit

basic mental defense, or at least a really strong will

Skills etc:

a degree in preternatural biology

scuba certification

a year of classes dealing with pyschics and such

Black belt in Judo and training in kenpo

at least some familiarity with the habits of natural wolves

Yeah, great series in the beginning: I read "Guilty Pleasures" in one night. Initially she's easy to build with moderate characteristics, some weapons (silver knives, pistol), investigation skills, and a few select powers:

1. Detect age of vampire

2. Raise the dead (it could be a simple summon although she only uses them once to attack since that's an automatic death sentence if caught. Usually the raising is used to answer questions)

3. Some type of resistance to vampiric powers and infection.

Since then, she'd gained a vampire servant and a ton of magic powers that become a little tougher to stat out. She also gained the disadvantage: Distinctive Features: everyone wants to have sex with her.

I think my issue with the sex was that everyone who was "X" (i.e: all were-leopards, all were-wolves) were into bondage, domination, sadism, and so on. They became carbon copies of each other.

Boggle... when was that?

Bloody Bones (book 5). They spend the entire book building up the power and immortality of Boggles as a Fey race, even other Fey feared them and in walks Anita, it dies in one anti-climactic scene of pure crap.

And yep, I did find that everything was a carbon-copy of each other a bit boring. It was almost as if you slapped fur on something it automatically wanted to wear leather and be at one end or the other of a whip.

To those who haven't read the series, or are starting, it helps immensely to read it in order. The Laughing Corpse was one of my favorites.. but it was early in the series.

14. There are 14 books in the series.. if it hadn't redlined my crap-meter I would've quite by book ten anyways. The only series I follow that entered double digits is Disc World. And that's 'cuz they aren't a series so much as a collection.

And yep' date=' I did find that everything was a carbon-copy of each other a bit boring. It was almost as if you slapped fur on something it automatically wanted to wear leather and be at one end or the other of a whip..[/quote']

Yup. That sums it up perfectly.

So, Anita versus Arucard, who wins?

From what I've heard (from some rather fanboyish types), Anita's decent from good fictional character to uber-alluring Mary Sue can be directly related to how Laurel Hamilton's *ahem* romantic life improved.

The series and setting, in general, seem to be very true to some of the ideas in DC. Especially the exotic ammo write ups. A 9mm loaded with glaiser safety slugs can blow apart ANYTHING, apparently.

And as to the Merry Gentry books (her other series)...

It's not really all that kinky. Periodic mentions of BDSM, but in fact the vast majority of the staemy portions are pretty tame from the POV of anyone who's run in those circles. It tracks more like a bunch of horny pagans in a cuddle pile at a rave.

Some of the bits gave me a distinct sense of deja vu.

Boggle... when was that?

I loved the first four or five books, but I gave up for three reasons:

1) she became a mary sue (my same problem with honor harrington)

2) the sex was overdone and borning

3) the sex became dominant to the exclusion of the story

I didn't finish OB. A third of the way through I started skimming for plot details and concluded: 80 pages plot/story introduction; 400+ pages weird supernatural sex romp in chains with almost no story details; 80 pages hacked in lip service she decided to call an ending. I don't mind sex in a book if its their for a reason (other than sales) and is done with a touch of class, but LKH doesn't have a clue. A laundry list of mechanical sex acts is just a banal locker-room report of "what was done."

I have really come to appreciate Louis L'amour's take on sex in books (and why he didn't bother with sex in his books):

"Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, the Brontes, Checkov, Thackeray, and many others, who used sex, did it with wit and charm. Sex in current books is clumsily done, indicating that most writers really know very little about it. They write like a bunch of small boys out behind a barn. They are crudely lewd. There's no fun in their sex and nobody appears to be having a good time."

A bad poem: sex in a book is sex in the head, as opposed to where it should be, in the bed.

Bloody Bones (book 5). They spend the entire book building up the power and immortality of Boggles as a Fey race' date=' even other Fey feared them and in walks Anita, it dies in one anti-climactic scene of pure crap.[/quote']Unless we're thinking of two different things...Rawhead and Bloody Bones was killed after drinking mortal blood and most of the work was done by a vampire with a cold iron sword. It had relatively little to do with Anita. But this is going by memory, the book is at home.

For me the series started downhill at Blue Moon, the first book where the soap opera really just dragged the plot into an alley and pounded the crap out of it.:)

So' date=' Anita versus Arucard, who wins?[/quote']Alucard, little doubt in my mind. Anita's well past the point where she counts as 'human'.

I loved the first four or five books, but I gave up for three reasons:

I didn't finish OB. A third of the way through I started skimming for plot details and concluded: 80 pages plot/story introduction; 400+ pages weird supernatural sex romp in chains with almost no story details; 80 pages hacked in lip service she decided to call an ending. I don't mind sex in a book if its their for a reason (other than sales) and is done with a touch of class, but LKH doesn't have a clue. A laundry list of mechanical sex acts is just a banal locker-room report of "what was done."

Nice Lamour quote and some good points. I'm a little puzzled on OB, though. Given Anita has no sex in the book at all, I'm not sure which book you are talking about. The two books after that are closer to what you described. The most recent book was so bad in this was that basically the bad guy got away before Anita had no time away from the soap opera and sex, so couldn't solve the crime.

Unless we're thinking of two different things...Rawhead and Bloody Bones was killed after drinking mortal blood and most of the work was done by a vampire with a cold iron sword. It had relatively little to do with Anita. But this is going by memory' date=' the book is at home.[/quote']

Possible.. it's been a long time since I read the book and I may be misremembering the details. I do know my impression was a general "wtf?" after putting it down.