New to game whcih books do I buy??

CHillDice

I talking with a friend at my last game (not Chapions sorry:( ), and he told me about this game. So I took a look and decided to start playing but, was wondering whchc books should I get.

I was thinking Hero 5th, Champions Core and then the Equipment book.

Was wondring if these are a good three to start with?? If not which books would you recommend??

Thanks you in advance for your quick replies!!

Re: New to game whcih books do I buy??

Hero 5th is pretty much required, unless you want to go the route of Sidekick, which is a cut down version of the rules minus all the extra options and weighs in at only $10. Not that I'm trying to talk you down from buying the 5E. 5E goes into tremendous detail that may be a bit overwhelming, but it sounds like you've got help from someone experience, so go for it.

Champions and Champions Universe are pretty much setting books. Not required so much but still very good. CU is really more for the GM.

In the same way that Equipment book is not necessary but has tons of pre-made weapons, "UNTIL Super Power Database" and it's sequal USPD II, are choc full of pre-made powers over varying levels and costs.

If you're mainly a player:

Hero 5th Edition, Revised. Sure, it's huge, but it contains all the rules you'll need to play. It pretty much contains ALL the rules, period, and it's all you really NEED.

Other than that, it depends on genre. Champions is useful for the superhero player.

The Ultimate _______ is very useful if you're playing a _______.

The USPD and USPD II can be handy, both as a source of pre-made powers and as examples and ideas.

If you're GMing:

Hero 5th Edition, Revised is an absolte MUST.

The genre book for whatever you're going to run would probably be very helpful.

If you're GMing superheros, Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks is a very useful collection of supervillains.

Having a copy of Sidekick to loan to players can be handy.

The equipment guide basically contains the equipment sections from Fantasy Hero, Star Hero, and Dark Champions. While it is kind of handy to have all of that in one place, the book isn't all that useful if you already have the genre books.

The basics are pretty simple. Whether playing or GMing, 5er and the appropriate genre book should be enough to satisfy most of your needs. After that, it's mostly a matter of picking out books that go into more detail on the subjects that interest you.

Zeropoint

For Champions' date=' instead of the Equipment Guide, get Gadgets and Gear. That's the book of superheroic stuff.[/quote']Agreed. For a choice of three books to start with, though, I'd go with the rulebook, Champions, and the UNTIL Superpowers Database.

The fourth book I'd recommend is The Ultimate Vehicle, but then again I'm a bit biased. ;)

H5R and Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks are the first two choices and champions is third . ckc will help you understand how the game works with lots of good power builds to revers engineer and after you get the hang of it will remain usefully for years to come. good luck and welcome to the best game yet!

I have to recommend the Hero Combat Handbook ... it consolidates all the combat rules (of which there are many options) into one book for easy reference.

UNTIL Superpowers Database 1 + 2 (USPD1 and USPD2) are extremely useful if you need some ideas for Powers ... they are easily adaptable outside of a Champions game into other genres as well.

Buy herobuilder and Fred (the huge black book with the green guy and the hex on the front)

Herobuilder is a program, not a book, but the utility of herobuilder cannot be over empathised. I personaly beleave Champions without Herobuilder is just simply not civilized.

As you can see, HERO gamers are such a diverse and independently creative bunch that getting a concensus from us on almost anything related to the game can be tough hoeing. :snicker:

When you get right down to it, though, the HERO System Fifth Edition, Revised core rulebook is all you really need to start playing in any genre. It has all the core rules and most of the options published for the line, plus examples of characters, weapons, vehicles, superpowers, magic spells, tech etc., plus character creation and combat tutorials, plus advice on running particular genres such as supers or fantasy. The many support books published by Hero Games go into far greater depth on all of these subjects, offering you more options and in many cases providing tons of prebuilt material to save you the effort of designing your own; but these things are really optional in the end, adding fairly little in the way of actual new rules.

If you intend to be the Game Master for this game, the core rulebook would be your essential starting investment. If you just intend to play in a game where someone else is the GM and has experience with HERO, IME you'd be better off learning the game by reading HERO System Sidekick, the simplified (and far cheaper) introductory version of the rules. Sidekick alone would be enough for a player to start playing, but even if you do plan to GM, being new to the system Sidekick might still be the best thing to start with. Since Sidekick is so cheap ($10.00 for a bound copy, or $7.00 for a PDF), you could probably afford to also get the main rulebook if and when you're ready to upgrade. If you decide that HERO isn't for you after reading SK, you're not out much.

Beyond that it's really a matter of deciding what you're interested in exploring further. You're welcome to come back here then if you'd like more advice. :)

Hope you enjoy HERO! :thumbup: