I'm sorry if I missed it, but I can't find Hero System 5th edition...

CorPse

...anywhere! I looked in the online store, and I only found damaged copies. Where are the undamaged copies?

I looked here, at FRP games, as I saw them posting in one of the threads here, Barnes and Noble, and none have the game. If it is currently out of stock, when will you be printing new copies? I played Champions only once or twice before the group I was playing with disbanded, but I always loved the game.

Seeing X2 has gotten me back into wanting to play some super heroes again. I'm a little impulsive, I know. Anyway, can you help a fellow comic book RPG lover out?

Also, for a superhero campaign would I need to buy the Champions Universe book, as well, or just one, or both, if I want to run a Champions game. In other words, is the Hero System a generic rules set, while if you just want a super hero RPG, you get the Champions book? I'm a little confused on that.

Re: I'm sorry if I missed it, but I can't find Hero System 5th edition...

Originally posted by Corpse

Also, for a superhero campaign would I need to buy the Champions Universe book, as well, or just one, or both, if I want to run a Champions game. In other words, is the Hero System a generic rules set, while if you just want a super hero RPG, you get the Champions book? I'm a little confused on that.

Champions is a genre book. That is, it explains how to run a super hero campaign, gives examples for powers, and so on.

And Champions Universe details a specific campaign world.

Here are some reviews that might be helpful:

Champions

Champions

Champions Universe

Champions Universe

Locating HERO System Fifth Edition

If you don't want to go the route of bidding on eBay when copies come up (which often means a reduced price if you win, but is a gamble on several levels), here are a few reputable online dealers who list having mint-condition copies for around the standard retail price. All of them take multiple payment options and ship internationally:

http://www.titangames.com

http://www.cyberdungeon.com

http://www.dragonstrove.com (look in their catalogue under "Super-Hero Related Games") :rolleyes:

http://www.sentrybox.com (prices listed in Canadian dollars - reduce by about one-third for American equivalent)

Good Luck! :)

company questions section

i just asked about this same thing in another section of the dicussion boards. the one for company questions under "problem getting a fred"

"recently ive been trying to get a copy of the hero system 5th edition rules. ive tried a local bookstore and several online shops. the bookstore told me their distributer was out of stock on it and the many online shops i asked said they where out of stock and one told me that they where waiting for the newt printing. im wondering if the new printing is the reason everyones out of stock of the hero system 5th edition rulesbook. if thats the case how long will it be before it will be out. " <-------- this was my question.

"The latest reprint of 5th Ed (which is the 4th- hey, the 4th 5th!) is due approximately the 6th of June. Like the rest of our books, it'll take a week to ten days to filter out to most stores from there. dw" <------------ and this was Darren Watts' reply

:D

Originally posted by Dr Rotwang!

As the assistant manager of an FLGS, I'm having a hard, hard time re-stocking FREd and the Resource Kit.

So, is it small print runs?

It's not necessarily a matter of small print runs...

It's been a while since our last reprint of FREd so availability is limited at this point to waht the distributors have in their warehouses and what the retailers have on the shelves.

The Resource Kit is out of print and there is no plan for a reprint due to the extremely pricey cost per unit.

If your are interested in playing Superheroes I would recommend in order of perference the USPD and the Champions book (NOT Champions Universe.)

The USPD (Until Super Powers Database) is almost a must have if you or your players are not familiar with the HERO system. It has many, many powers made up ready to plug into a character. Really, you don't even need to make characters with this book you just plug the powers in. I can't recommend it enough and SUPERs isn't even my favorite genre.

After that I would recommend the Champions book. Great information on comics and running a Supers campaign. Lots of generic genre stuff.

Champions Universe is basicaly a description and information book on the setting used by HERO system.