Space elevators

tkdguy

Re: Space elevators

OK, I'll clarify too. I am in favor of a Space Elevator. Cheap access to space would be a big benefit to mankind in general. I just am skeptical that the powers that be see it this way. I've been waiting for over 30 years for even a return to the moon.

Keith "Thinks the ride up would get boring, though" Curtis

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith "Thinks the ride up would get boring' date=' though" Curtis[/quote']

How could it possibly be boring, when we have the sterling example of the airline industry as a guide? They'll just serve a tasteless "snack" -- in which the provided plastic fork will have the highest nutritional content -- and show a worn copy of a decade-old movie...

How could it possibly be boring' date=' when we have the sterling example of the airline industry as a guide? They'll just serve a tasteless "snack" -- in which the provided plastic fork will have the highest nutritional content -- and show a worn copy of a decade-old movie...[/quote']

So much depends on what the acceleration history is. I can imagine situations where not only would there be no food served, but they strongly suggest fasting for 6 hours before the ride up.

It's a 32' date='000-mile trip. You're going to be in that elevator car for a while. I'd say at least a day for a reasonable speed.[/quote']

Sounds like we can be certain it'll be pay toilets on that elevator. Have to make it pay its own way, you know. :rolleyes:

My first thought was vibration. Harmonic vibration would be a serious problem over such a long distance. Dampeners would have to be built into the cable, increasing mass and cable volume.

It's pretty exciting. I don't think the price tag is even that extreme. Consider what we spend on your average space shuttle. As re-usable as space shuttles are, iirc, the average space shuttle mission has a much higher price tag than an inflation-corrected price tag of the early space missions.

The biggest problem I see is funding (even more than the technology). The NASA budget has been shrinking for decades and the trend looks to continue. Budgets have gotten so tight that certain safery aspects have been thrown to the way side. There would have to be some serious backing with a large number of pay-offs in the short term before I could even see anything like this getting off the ground (ba-dum CHING!).

How large would the complex at the terrestrial end of the elevator cable need to be' date=' and how important is it that it be at the Equator?[/quote']

For demonstration of principle project, I have heard of an offshore oil drilling platform being proposed for the terrestrial end. Amount of cargo and passengers would probably be the deciding factor on how large the groundside terminal would be.

You can probably answer the other question better than any of us, but from what I understand over the equator is the only place you can have a truely geostationary (as opposed to "mearly" geosyncronous) orbit.

The political obstacles to building an elevator would seem to be far greater than the technological ones. (Note: no partisan digs at the merits of any particular party here; just thinking about the political process.)

The problem is that the concept sounds kinda silly on the surface: "I'm gonna build an elevator to the stars!" It sounds like something out of a bad Monty Python sketch. Mind you, I'm not saying the idea is ridiculous, just that it sounds ridiculous to the average man on the street. The Opposition (whoever they happen to be) could have a field day making fun of whoever proposes it, trotting out their own pseudo-scientists to show that the idea is absurd. So it's a fairly risky thing for a politician to propose. And ironically, the idea is also too prosaic to engage the imagination of people enough to make the risk seem worthwhile. Rockets and space-planes are sexy. But an elevator? Booooring! It would take a pretty visionary politician to propose such a plan, and sadly visionaries don't seem to be getting elected to high office much these days.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea - on the contrary! I just think it'll be a tough one to sell to the public.

...and the Environmental Impact Statement will probably be nearly as tall as the elevator itself. :)

It's a 32' date='000-mile trip. You're going to be in that elevator car for a while. I'd say at least a day for a reasonable speed.[/quote']

By my BOE calculations, would take 2 days at Mach 1. For the passenger modules I think we need to think sleeper cars rather than airplane seats.

Just a question: Would everybody have to go the full 50' date='000 km? I thought there might be some reasons to have other stops long the way.[/quote']

Um, nothing between "Here" and "There" yet. The magic of taking an elevator to Clarke orbit is that once you get there you will be traveling at oribital velocity. Get off at a lower floor, you'll fall.

Um' date=' nothing between "Here" and "There" yet. The magic of taking an elevator to Clarke orbit is that once you get there you will be traveling at oribital velocity. Get off at a lower floor, you'll fall.[/quote']

True. I even knew that. :)

But it would take a lot less thrust to get anything into any kind of stable orbit. I'm just wondering if it would make any sense to have any stops on the way up, or would it be more economical to "lauch" everything for Clark orbit, and then adjust its orbital distance from there.

A few years ago, I would have been able to formulate my own opinion. Guess I am just lazy... ;)

True. I even knew that. :)

But it would take a lot less thrust to get anything into any kind of stable orbit. I'm just wondering if it would make any sense to have any stops on the way up, or would it be more economical to "lauch" everything for Clark orbit, and then adjust its orbital distance from there.

A few years ago, I would have been able to formulate my own opinion. Guess I am just lazy... ;)

I believe more economical to launch from Clarke orbit, where you don't have to worry about falling.

Um' date=' nothing between "Here" and "There" yet. The magic of taking an elevator to Clarke orbit is that once you get there you will be traveling at oribital velocity. Get off at a lower floor, you'll fall.[/quote']

God that would be like the ultimate base jump.

You'd probably do well to stock a number of personal Atmospheric Re-entry Kits (based on the MOOSE). Just in case.

My favorite idea from the Traveller article? The ISRA (Inter-Sector Re-entry Association), a group dedicated to freestyle personal re-entry sports - the ultimate in Extreme Sports.

You'd probably do well to stock a number of personal Atmospheric Re-entry Kits (based on the MOOSE). Just in case.

My favorite idea from the Traveller article? The ISRA (Inter-Sector Re-entry Association), a group dedicated to freestyle personal re-entry sports - the ultimate in Extreme Sports.

One of the Star Trek movies...number 6?...had a cut scene at the beginning that had Kirk doing something like this, in a special suit and a short of hang glider... though I've not seen the scene, I have seen a couple of stills from it (after he was back on the ground, but still smoking a bit).