The Trail of the Gold Spike

Cold Steel

Anyone can tell me about this module? My friend claims he'd played it for a Justice Inc. campaign over ten years ago. It involved a gold mine and some villain called the Condor. That's all i know about it i'm afraid. My friend had moved to Ohio so until i can get in touch with him, you guys are my only hope.

What can anybody tell me about the adventure and where i can find a copy?

Re: The Trail of the Gold Spike

It was written by Aaron Allston and I used to have a copy, a long time ago. It might still be around here somewhere but I doubt it, I don't recall seeing it in at least a decade.

I hope I am not getting this confused with something else but here is what I seem to recall:

The characters eventually end up at a large house in the country near an abandoned(?) mine. Someone is trying to scare away the land owners by faking ghosts and such (sort of a Scooby-Do thing, but more serious). There is an air strip involved. It is hard to remember much more it was a long time ago.

The Condor has a mind control drug, and he's building an army of near-drones. He's hiding out in an abandoned gold mine, but an active gold mine nearby has broken through into his compound, forcing him to show his hand before he's ready. Of course, the characters get involved right around this time.

If you can get it - GET IT! Really rocks! You have to rework the stats of the adversaries a little, but that is a piece of cake. Really a good adventure for a Pulp Hero campaign - has all you need: Mind-controlled henchmen, a colorful villain, biplane battles in the sky (WRRROOMMMMM!!!!!), a mysterious gold mine, a not-so-helpless lady-in distress and lots and lots and lots of flair.

Ran it, loved it!

It was the first Pulp-Era adventure I played in using the Hero System and I still recall how much fun it was. I've run it three times in varying incarnations of my Pulp Hero game over the years (with three different resulting outcomes) and it's been a hit each time.

If you can locate it, I reccommend giving it a read. It will need some conversion, but it's worth the work!

To those of you who've run/played it -- what types of characters is it appropriate for? Would 150-pointers be too tough?

The last time I used it was with 4th edition. The characters were 125 points (75 base + 50 disads) and it seemed reasonably tough. I don't think an extra 25 points in each character would hve made a huge difference (it might warrant a slight beefing up of henchmen).

At worst, only some slight revisions would be needed to bring things in line with a 150-point character campaign. Mostly beefing up the Condor in case there was a fight on the ground and so on; in essence the sort of things you'd want to do to tailor the scenario to your own campaign anyway.

Oooohhhh! My first very adventure! That was the one where you nearly killed Marcus by dropping a mine shaft on him.

Bad Rob! Bad! :tsk:

Didn't Bird's character end up marrying the mine owner's daughter? After what's-his-name's character nearly beat her to death because he didn't recognize her in the dark?

Mary Ann

At worst' date=' only some slight revisions would be needed to bring things in line with a 150-point character campaign. Mostly beefing up the Condor in case there was a fight on the ground and so on; in essence the sort of things you'd want to do to tailor the scenario to your own campaign anyway.[/quote']

Agree. I think some extra points are to be given to The Condor and his henchmen, because the main villain only has about 130 points and an OCV of 5 plus 1 level and some Martial Arts. He is some kind of a pushover if he steps into Strong-Jawed Hero's boxing punch.

Then, on the other hand, I reembered that I ran him as is against my group of 4 or 5 150 plus XP heroes and thes got quite challenged.

Don't know how you see it but I alway prefered my pulp villains to be loudmoujths in cool costumes that seem more dangerous than they are. They are wicked, ruthless, dangerous in their evil ways - but not invicible. The yhave a lot of Dex 11, SPD 2 lackeys, though.

Thanx for the perspective, everyone who answered! It's always interesting to hear peoples' actual experiences with an adventure. I might dig it out for my PH campaign; it sounds to me like it'd make a great "filler" for an evening when only a couple of players can show.

Thanks all of you for the input! I don't know if i have enough info for creating my own version but i might have the Condor a rebellious former lackey of The Skymaster from Masterminds and Madmen. A "lesser of two evils" sort of thing. Was the Condor a former Army Air Force pilot?

Cold Steel wrote:

Thanks all of you for the input! I don't know if i have enough info for creating my own version but i might have the Condor a rebellious former lackey of The Skymaster from Masterminds and Madmen. A "lesser of two evils" sort of thing. Was the Condor a former Army Air Force pilot?

You've got me there, man. I'd need to run home and check the HERO Shelf to see what the module said to be sure (but I'd tend to agree that he was as a default position).

Running him as a former Skymaster minion isn't that bad an idea, especially given the way that the Condor operates; I think that the Skymaster would have violent disagreements with the way the Condor "acquires" his pilots and controls them. If you go with that idea, let us know how it worked out for you!

Technically the Air Force did not exist as an independent branch of the military until after World War 2. In the Pulp era it is the Army Air Corps, a subdivision, but still a part of, the US Army. So if he was a distinguished Army Captain he could have been a part of the Army Air Corps.