Build Me a Fighter, Advanced Class.

Enforcer84

all kidding aside, I got some nice "Fighter" write ups in the first thread. And a few of you already did this, but I'd like to pick more brains this time. So I will be more specific.

This is for a higher powered campaign, this is a japaneserpg/Final Fantasy style campaign. See the link to my Edean Thread in my sig for some specifics if you've never been there. One of the features of these games is that each character has their own style/abilties even though you might have 4 or 5 "Fighters" in your party one may be an Archer, one a Spearman, one uses two short swords, one uses a Gigantic Greatsword and one guy has a slingshot. Each weapon has it's own style and special abilities. I'm looking for some cool specials that might be specific to a particular weapon. I know there is some overlap but I thought I'd pick your brains for somethings I haven't thought of.

Any takers?

Re: Build Me a Fighter, Advanced Class.

To get the ball rolling, here's my Spear Skills, so far anyway.

:)

Cos Powers END

23 Combat Mobility: (Total: 31 Active Cost, 23 Real Cost) Leaping 4" (4 Active Points); Only to Determine half moves (-1) (Real Cost: 2) plus Running 6" (12 Active Points); Only to Determine half moves (-1) (Real Cost: 6) plus combat acceleration/deceleration (+1/4) (3 Active Points) applied to Running (Real Cost: 3) plus Leaping +4" (9"/21" forward, 4 1/2"/10 1/2" upward) (Accurate), combat acceleration/deceleration (+1/4) (12 Active Points) (Real Cost: 12) 4

6 Ha-ha! A mere Scratch!: Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

10 Swashbuckler's Luck: Luck 2d6

Spear Saint Superskills, all slots Requires A Spear Miracles Skill Roll (-1/2)

8 1) Armor Shredding Strike: Dispel PD Armor 4d6, Cumulative (+1/2), Increased Cumulative Points (74 Max points of dispel) (+1/2) (24 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), OIF (Spear or Polearm of opporotunity; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Spear Miracles Skill Roll (-1/2) 2

Notes: This is the ability to not only harm one's enemy with your strikes but also to damage his armor. Alternately this could be bought as a Killing Attack that only affects the Armor.

11 2) Cyclone Strike: Area Of Effect (up to One Hex; +1/2), Selective (+1/4) for up to 30 Active Points of Spear Damage (22 Active Points); OIF (Spear or Polearm of opporotunity; -1/2), Requires A Spear Miracles Skill Roll (-1/2) 2

Notes: The Spear Saint spins around and attacks each enemy within his reach.

24 3) Divine Whirlwind: RKA 2d6, Area Of Effect (7" Cone; +1) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), OIF (Spear or Polearm of opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Spear Miracles Skill Roll (-1/2) 6

Notes: The Spear Saint spins his weapon in front of him creating a cone shaped whirl wind that attacks all in it's path.

20 4) Dragon Spike: RKA 2d6, Area Of Effect (12" Line; +1) (60 Active Points); OIF (Spear or Polearm of opportunity; -1/2), Additional Targets must be directly behind the first target (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Spear Miracles Skill Roll (-1/2) 6

Notes: The Spear Saint throws his weapon with such force that it impales it's target and keeps going to the next. It effects targets in a line.

32 5) Heaven's Arsenal: RKA 1 1/2d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; From the Sky; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; +1 1/4), Selective (+1/4) (81 Active Points); OIF (Spear or Polearm of Opporotunity; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Requires A Spear Miracles Skill Roll (-1/2)

Notes: This is a most potent ability. The Spear Saint throws his weapon into the air and the heaven's respond with hundreds of spears that attack his enemies (and only his enemies).

3 6) Supreme Reach: Stretching 2" (10 Active Points); OIF (Spear or Polearm of opporotunity; -1/2), Only To Cause Damage (-1/2), Requires A Spear Miracles Skill Roll (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) 1

Notes: The Warrior knows how to contort their body and make the most of their weapon's length.

7 7) Vaulting: Leaping +12" (9"/21" forward, 4 1/2"/10 1/2" upward) (Accurate, x4 Noncombat) (22 Active Points); OIF (Spear or Polearm of opporotunity; -1/2), Requires a Half-Move to start (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Requires A Spear Miracles Skill Roll (-1/2) 2

Notes: The warrior uses his pole-weapon as a vaulting pole this maneuver requires a half move to set up and take an entire phase (ie no attack this phase)

Well, you already have my Giant Sword Attacks write up from before, if not I can post it again. Here's some Short Sword/Knife Fighting Techniques I was working on for an NPC:

23 Assassin Training: Multipower (45 Active Points); All Powers OIF (Short bladed weapon of opportunity, no larger than a short sword, -3/4), No Range (-1/4), Requires a Skill Roll (Assassin Training, -1/2) (15 points).

1u Choke Hold: Suppress STR 8d6; Common Lims (-1 1/2), Must Strike From Behind (-1), Must successfully Grapple Target (-1)

2u Hamstring: Drain Running 2d6 (20 Active Points); Common Lims (-2) plus Drain Leaping 2d6 (20 Active Points); Common Lims (-2)

1u Throat Crush: Darkness (Speech), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced END (+1/4); Common Lims (-1 1/2), Area of Effect (Accurate, -0)

2u Spray of Blood: HKA 3d6; Common Lims (-1 1/2), Gradual Effect (3 minutes, -1/2)

2u Shards of Glass: HKA 1d6, AoE One Hex Doubled (+3/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (30 Active Points); Common Lims (-1 1/2) (12 points) plus Flash: Sight Group 3d6 (15 Active Points); Common Lims (-1 1/2) (7 points) Total cost: 17 points

2u Penetrating Blade: HKA 1d6+1, Penetrating (+1/2), AoE Accurate (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Common Lims (-1 1/2) (16 points)

I could go on, but you get the general idea. The idea here was that a group of knife-fighting techniques would be interesting (and easy) to model in HERO, so I set about doing it. Worked, I was happy with it. Others I haven't done yet are Overreach (+1" Stretching, only for making attacks) and the classic 'head wound' (HKA 1/2d6 PLUS Sight Flash 3d6, SFX: blood spilling into the eyes).

I can post others later if you like. Or shut up. ;)

Thia, as I a GM, I wouldn't go for "flash speech" since speech is not a sense. However, I would allow (and have used) Darkness vs sound, only to negate voice of target (-1) for a throat grab, that's cheaper and allows you to add in a few d6 of NND HA to simulate strangling.

cheers, Mark

What are Common Lims (-2)?

Also, Thia- I think it would be better to put on a "Delayed Effect" or something onto the chokehold, since a person can initially use all of their STR. As time passes though, and they burn through their oxygen.... I can see them begining to lose their strength, especially since they are burning END and not getting a Recovery.

Markdoc: I wasn't sure if it was Flash or Darkness; I will change it to Darkness (Speech), but I preferred Flash since it takes care of its own duration, similarly to Drain. Darkness I believe costs END to maintain, which would mean for it to work the way I want, it would be uncontrolled. Flash is simpler & easier. However, checking the rules Mark, I find you are exactly correct.

So.

1u Throat Crush: Darkness (Speech), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Reduced END (1/2 END, +1/4); Area of Effect (One Hex, Accurate -0), Common Lims (-2) [1 END]

Is that a bit closer to accurate? While we're on the topic, if I could get a ruling here - Darkness starts off its life as filling One Hex. According to the rules on AOE, I can make it accurate for a -0 Limitation; in other words, it becomes 'Accurate' for free instead of filling a hex. Does that seem right to everyone else?

Also, MT, in answer to your question, the point of the choke hold is that it's a STR Suppress that acts on a nerve basis; instead of Delayed Effect I used RSR; once he gets his arms around you and is crushing your wind pipe, you're rendered immobile. This is done largely to simulate the special effect seen in films, where the SpecOp agent steps up behind someone (for example, Sam Fisher does this in Splinter Cell) and they have no chance to retaliate; they're trapped there. I've done this by making it a Suppress: STR.

Second question: instead of writing out all the limitations to all the powers every time - All Powers OIF (Short bladed weapon of opportunity, no larger than a short sword, -3/4), No Range (-1/4), Requires a Skill Roll (Assassin Training, -1/2) - I used 'Common Lims' which is acceptable in a write up. "Common Lims," shorthand for "Common Limitations" means that I have applied all the limitations from the Multi-Power, by rule, to all powers WITHIN the multi-power. So every time you see an ability, it's marked by "Common Lims, (-2)" which is the net cost of the limitations used.

Except I did my math wrong, and it should be -1 1/2. Which is probably what you were asking :nonp: Pardon I must edit.

I also need to build the Martial Art that goes with this.

According to the rules on AOE' date=' I can make it accurate for a -0 Limitation; in other words, it becomes 'Accurate' for free instead of filling a hex. Does that seem right to everyone else?[/quote']

Not just right, but a damn fine idea!

cheers, Mark

Looks good! And almost exactly what I was looking for!

Anyone have Special Attacks for a guy with a big club or warhammer?

How about twin swords of equal length?

Lisa Nazdy(sp?) had some nice Archer Powers.

Try the following:

Warhammer Style (Multipower, 60 Active Points (27 points); No Range (-1/4), All Attacks OIF (Heavy Clubs, -1). 41 total points.

2u Power Attack: HKA 2d6, Indirect (Overhead Swing, +1/4), +1 STUN Multiplier (+1/4); Common Lims (-1 1/4)

2u Spin Dizzy: HKA 1d6+1 (20 Active Points); Common Lims (-1 1/4) (9 points) plus Change Environment (-4 DCV) (20 Active Points); Common Lims (-1 1/4), Accurate (-0), Must Deal at least one point of BODY Damage to invoke Change Environment (-1/2) (7 points)

2u Line Drive: HKA 2d6, Double Knockback (+3/4) (53 Active Points); Common Lims (-1 1/4)

2u Ground Breaker: (Change Environment, -4 DCV), AOE Line +1 (40 Active Points); Common Lims (-1 1/4)

3u Circling Strike: HKA 2d6, One Hex Doubled (+3/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (60 Active Points); Common Lims (-1 1/4)

3u Overreach: HKA 2d6, +1" Stretching (+1); Common Lims (-1 1/4)

Also, MT, in answer to your question, the point of the choke hold is that it's a STR Suppress that acts on a nerve basis; instead of Delayed Effect I used RSR; once he gets his arms around you and is crushing your wind pipe, you're rendered immobile. This is done largely to simulate the special effect seen in films, where the SpecOp agent steps up behind someone (for example, Sam Fisher does this in Splinter Cell) and they have no chance to retaliate; they're trapped there. I've done this by making it a Suppress: STR.

Except I did my math wrong, and it should be -1 1/2. Which is probably what you were asking :nonp: Pardon I must edit.

If it's based on a nerve, then I can buy it. Just getting someone's windpipe.... well, I still think they would have some time before they suffered a reduced performance from lack of oxygen. But, if the SFX is a nerve instead, I've no problems.

Second: No, actually, your first explanation was what I was looking for. See, I've never worked with Multipowers. Thank you for the explanation, and the overestimation of my abilities.... hehe.

Oh. Well... I owe you rep anyway, you get to be the Unintentional Muse. Anyway, point being. If you look up the general rules of the framework (and any I post) you'll see the total lims for the whole framework, and then in the individual powers may have additional limitations as well (requires extra END, extra time, side effects, etc.).

Anyone have Special Attacks for a guy with a big club or warhammer?

I am at work right now and can not provide a detailed write up, but how about an EB with OIF (Rocks & Stones), Restrainable or Requires Two Hands, Maybe even throw in Full Phase for picking up a rock and hitting it like a baseball at an opponent?

Well, here's my general resource for Fighter / Warrior packages:

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Content/PackageDeals/warriorPackages.shtml

Here are 10 PCs from my current campaign, the majority of which are warriors:

http://www.killershrike.com/SanDora/Campaign/NineArrows_PlayerCharacters.shtml

Here is a moderately experienced dwarven style warrior from the same setting:

http://www.killershrike.com/SanDora/characters/npcs/Enemies/Ruarg%20Axebearer.HTML

Here are a couple of example fighters of a smaller race, invested w/ "Dark Gifts":

http://www.killershrike.com/SanDora/characters/npcs/Enemies/Shemrenebi%20Karptah.HTML

http://www.killershrike.com/SanDora/Characters/NPCs/Enemies/Asetmoseb%20Hatketkis.HTML

Here is a Cavalry write up from the same race:

http://www.killershrike.com/SanDora/Characters/NPCs/Landroth/Landrothi%20Light%20Cavalry.HTML

Here is an experienced / veteran warrior from the same setting:

http://www.killershrike.com/SanDora/Characters/NPCs/Nuetrals/Ergal%20Sharlia.HTML

Here is a high powered warrrior from the same setting:

http://www.killershrike.com/SanDora/Characters/NPCs/Nuetrals/Koros%20Fhalian.HTML

Here's an assassin I played in an old GreyHERO (Greyhawk w/ the HERO System) campaign:

http://www.killershrike.com/misccharacters/fantasy/Ollix%20Androwsen.HTML

and here is a thief type that is deadly with daggers from the same campaign:

http://www.killershrike.com/misccharacters/fantasy/Jaram%20Glaive.HTML

Well, then--lemme look into expanding on the Lasher with more abilities. Similarilly, I haven't gotten an opportunity to do a Master of Chains package yet. Lemme work it out a little, Nucleon's challenge is more interesting right now...

Well' date=' then--lemme look into expanding on the [b']Lasher[/b] with more abilities. Similarilly, I haven't gotten an opportunity to do a Master of Chains package yet. Lemme work it out a little, Nucleon's challenge is more interesting right now...

That stings, dude.

Here's a two sword fighting style I just came up with. I'm thinking of someone who's really quick wielding the blades:

Cost

Powers

Dual Sword Tricks: Multipower, 61-point reserve, (61 Active Points); all slots OIF (Two Swords; -1/2)

1u

1) Blade Shield: Force Field (20 PD/20 ED) (40 Active Points); Wielder can't attack while this is on (-1), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) Note: The wielder spins their blades in a circular motion rapidly, helping to deflect incoming attacks and even spells.

3u

2) Whirling Blades: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (2d6+1 w/STR), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (60 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Note: The wielder spins about wildly with their blades out, hitting everyone nearby.

4u

3) Head Clap: (Total: 56 Active Cost, 37 Real Cost) Hearing Group Flash 6d6, No Normal Defense (Helmet or ear protection; +1) (36 Active Points) (Real Cost: 24) plus Energy Blast 2d6, No Normal Defense (Helmet or ear protection; +1) (20 Active Points) (Real Cost: 13) Note: The wielder hits their opponent in the ears using the flats of both blades, causing deafness and/or stunning for a short time. This is negated with a rigid helmet.

1u

4) Helicopter Blades: Gliding 5" (5 Active Points); Only to slow falling (-1/2) Note: The wielder spins their blades above their head to act like the blades of a helicopter and slow their descent.

3u

5) Blade Grab: Suppress HKA or HA 12d6 (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) Note: Using both blades, the wielder can effectively disable an opponent's weapon by grabbing it safely with their swords.

2u

6) Turbo Shovelling: Tunneling 12" through 12 DEF material (60 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1) Note: The wielder of the blades can strike at a material so fast that they can cut through nearly anything and make an escape route, but it's very tiring.

3u

7) Whirling Blades: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1, Area Of Effect (8" Cone; +1), Two-Dimensional (-1/4) (61 Active Points); Requires A Dual Sword Mastery Roll (-1/2), Side Effects (A failed skill roll means the wielder takes half the damage of the attack; -1/4) Note: The wielder throws their blades, spinning rapidly, in two arcs that return like boomerangs back to the wielder. A failed skill roll means the wielder takes half the damage.

Erken.... what sort of campaign or power level do you recommend those moves for?

Some of it I like... but some of it seems quite.... out of genre, I suppose. Unless we are talking "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Munchkin."

They are all neat, and some I love, but some... just scare me as to what they would do to the "feel" of certain games.

Crazy, But It had to be done

3341_2.jpg

Rakim Ben Amon - Scourge of Alexandria

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
18    STR     11   18      13-       HTH Damage 3 1/2d6  END [4]
16    DEX     18   16      12-       OCV 5 DCV 5
19    CON     26   19      13-
13    BODY    6   13      12-
15    INT     5   15      12-       PER Roll 12-
14    EGO     8   14      12-       ECV: 5
19    PRE     9   19      13-       PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6
11    COM     1   11      11-
5    PD      1   5/10             5/10 PD (0/5 rPD)
5    ED      1   5/7             5/7 ED (0/2 rED)
3    SPD     4   3                 Phases:  4, 8, 12
8    REC     0   8
37    END     0   37
37    STUN    5   37
7    RUN      2   7"                  END [1]
3    SWIM     1   3"                  END [1]
4    LEAP     0   4"                4" forward, 2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 97[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
6     [b][i]Feather Fall[/i][/b]: Gliding 8" (8 Active Points); no Noncombat movement (-1/4) - END=
8     Lack Of Weakness (-8) for Normal Defense - END=
2     [b][i]Blessed[/i][/b]: Luck 1d6, Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +1/2) (7 Active Points); 3 Charges (thrice per day; -1 1/4), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Non-Combat Effects Only (Charmed Life); -1/4) - END=
3     Mental Defense (6 points total) - END=
7     [b][i]HtH is Armor Piercing with Khopesh[/i][/b]: Naked Modifier (Custom Adder, Custom Adder), Armor Piercing (+1/2) - END=1

[b]POWERS Cost: 26[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
4      +1 HTH Damage Class(es)
4      Killing Strike:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 2 DC
5      Weapon Element:  Blades, Hook Sword, Javelins and Thrown Spears, Lances, Off Hand
4      Martial Escape:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 38 STR vs. Grabs
4      Reversal:  var Phase, -1 OCV, -2 DCV, 38 STR to Escape; Grab Two Limbs
4      Weapon Bind:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, Bind, 33 STR
4      Martial Flash:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Flash 5d6
5      Distance Shot:  1+1 Phase, +0 OCV, -2 DCV, Range +6, Strike  , +1 Segment
5      Far Shot:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -1 DCV, Range +4, Strike
4      Ranged Disarm:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Range +0, Disarm, 33 STR to Disarm

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 43[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
3      Acrobatics 12-
3      Armorsmith 12-
7      Animal Handler (Bovines, Camels, Elephants, Equines) 14-
3      Breakfall 12-
3      Combat Driving 12-
6      TF:  Riding Animals, Agricultural & Construction Vehicles, Carts & Carriages, Chariots, Large Rowed Boats, Large Wind-Powered Boats, Rafts, Small Military Ships, Small Rowed Boats, Small Wind-Powered Boats, Surfing, Windsurfing  (12 Active Points); Crew-Served [9-16] crew (-1) (12 Active Points); Crew-Served [9-16] crew (-1)
7      WF:  Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons, Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Siege Engines, Hook Sword, Off Hand, Sling, Sling Bow, Staff Sling, Staffs, Whips  (15 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4) (15 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1 1/4)
10      Two-Weapon Fighting (HTH) 
2      Weaponsmith (Arrows, Bolts, And Darts, Bows, Muscle-Powered HTH, Other) 12- (5 Active Points); Crew-Served [9-16] crew (-1)
3      Tactics 12-
3      Teamwork 12-
10      +1 Overall
3      Tracking 12-
3      Riding 12-
5      Rapid Attack (HTH) 
2      PS 11-
2      PS 11-
2      PS 11-
2      PS 11-
3      Paramedics 12-
6      Language (imitate dialects; literate)
5      KS 14-
3      Deduction 12-
3      Acting 13-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 99[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
2      Contact 11-
1      Favor
8      Follower (16 Active Points); Crew-Served [9-16] crew (-1)
10      Fringe Benefit:  Captain, Knight, License to Kill, License to practice a profession, Low Justice:  Character has the right to mete out justice., Priest, Weapon Permit (where appropriate) (24 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2)
5      Money:  Well Off
8      Vehicles & Bases (16 Active Points); Crew-Served [9-16] crew (-1)

[b]PERKS Cost: 34[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
10      Divine Favor
4      Mounted Warrior (HTH Combat)

[b]TALENTS Cost: 14[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
0     Normal Characteristic Maxima
5     Age:  40+
15     Dependent NPC:  Daughter Genneffer 8- (Incompetent)
0     Distinctive Features:  Egyptian (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)
10     Enraged:  Blasphemies (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 14-
5     Hunted:  Babylonians, Israelis 11- (Less Pow, Limited Geographical Area, Harshly Punish)
5     Psychological Limitation:  Jingoistic (Uncommon, Moderate)
5     Reputation:  Harsh, 8-
5     Social Limitation:  Cannot fraternize with certain segments of society (Occasionally, Minor)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 50[/b]

Base Pts: 220
Exp Required: 43
Total Exp Available: 50
Exp Unspent: 7
Total Character Cost: 313

Rakim Ben Amon - Scourge of Alexandria

Erken.... what sort of campaign or power level do you recommend those moves for?

Some of it I like... but some of it seems quite.... out of genre, I suppose. Unless we are talking "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Munchkin."

They are all neat, and some I love, but some... just scare me as to what they would do to the "feel" of certain games.

As a GM, I'd be a bit dubious about the helicopter and turbo shovel maneuvers (though they wouldn't be out of place in a high powered Wuxia campaign) but the rest of it is pretty cool. I'd also allow "requires two hands ( -1/4)" on the reserves/slots, since that's a significant disadvantage.

cheers, Mark