Worlds of Empire - Waddya think?

Lysando

Re: Worlds of Empire - Waddya think?

Hi Lysando,

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book. I read books cover to cover and mark them up with a pencil as to how information can be used in my current campaign.

Even though I am not running a campaign in Terran Empire I am finding the book suprisingly good. I actually didn't think it would be that useful but it has been nice. I have found quite a few tidbits that I plan to use and as I mentioned I am only 1/3 of the way through. ;) I'll give you one example of something I liked. The home planet for the Fex is in the book. They are a meritocracy. The description of how the government run is in the book. In the back is information for the GM (hooks, etc). Right now if I had to grade it I would give it a "B". :)

I read mine last weekend on a trip to Vermont. I've read everything except the GM's Vault section since there is some info there my GM is probably going to be using.

Overall I was very impressed. Some of the places that are only references in other books get fleshed out more fully. Plenty of places to adventure in and ideas for adventures.

So what was your favourite world? I really liked Fex (though I'm curious why a race of cat-people can be so pacific). Trovadore would be a great place to visit.

ntb

Heck I only read parts of the gm section so far (busy busy with other things alas) but I think it is solid support needed for the terran empire setting. The one thing I would really have liked to see is more about specific stations and distances in the star systems mentioned... ie it takes 5 days from the hyperspace point off of adamant or whatever. I

But the gm section had very useful things that fit in with my current story line. I'm hoping the book has some economic and trading information to flesh out the setting a bit.

I read mine last weekend on a trip to Vermont. I've read everything except the GM's Vault section since there is some info there my GM is probably going to be using.

Overall I was very impressed. Some of the places that are only references in other books get fleshed out more fully. Plenty of places to adventure in and ideas for adventures.

So what was your favourite world? I really liked Fex (though I'm curious why a race of cat-people can be so pacific). Trovadore would be a great place to visit.

ntb

Hey!

I am going to Vermont to see my stepdaughter in June. Is it really nice there?

All in all, I liked it alot. There isn't enough on any one world to base any kind of a campaign there without a bunch of extra work, but that wasn't really the point. What the book is perfect for is when the players leave the star base and want to look around the planet. What is different about this world? Lot of fun things..

-The radioactive post-Apocalypse planet with piles of old warmachines everywhere and Mad Max gangs vs. Feral Xenovores

-Tropical paradise world where political rabblerousers are sent to get drunk on the beach instead of fermenting revolt.

-The apparently perfect earth like world that the Imperium star charts list as "Forbidden - Inherently Hostile to Humanoid Life"

-The "College" planet. All the knowledge of the finest minds in the Imperium, cutting edge research, hidden lore, wacky undergrad hijinks.

Nothing that hasn't been seen before in the Genre, but what the book does I feel it does well.

How much mention is there of the Thane or the Elder Worm? (I don't need details - don't want to put Hero's IP on public forums - just general coverage.) ;)

The Thane get a full character sheet in the Secret GM section. Granted, this is a "low mana" era character sheet, but still a lot more than we have ever gotten before.

Hey!

I am going to Vermont to see my stepdaughter in June. Is it really nice there?

Vermont is beautiful, still a bit springish. It's a beautiful state....and the most beautiful woman in the world (my wife) comes from there.

ntb

What I've read so far I like. As others have stated, its not the bee-all-end-all source book, but books like this never really can be - or they would be huge 9and take forever to write). What is does give you is jumping off places to start a campaign, or places to visit during a campaign - so the GM has a place to build up from. That's usually one of the hardest things to do with any sci-fi campaing anyway.

Oh, and it seems to work well in non-TE settings too. I plan to use a few locations for my f-t-f Alien Legion game.

Aroooo