DC Animated-style drawing?

Trebuchet

I may be wrong about her height, yah. On the other hand ...

Let's go see the Marvel site. Who do we have?

• Pip the Troll: 4'4"
  • Wolverine: 5'3"
  • Wasp: 5'4"
  • Shadowcat: 5'6"
  • Phoenix/Jean Grey: 5'6"
  • Phoenix/Rachel Summers: 5'7"
  • Rogue: 5'8"
  • Nightcrawler: 5'9"
  • Spider-Man: 5'10".
  • Psylocke: 5'11"
  • Beast: 5'11"
  • Angel: 6'0".
  • Thing: 6'0"
  • Sub-Mariner: 6'2".
  • Captain America (Steve Rogers): 6'2".
  • Cyclops: 6'3"
  • Silver Surfer: 6'4"
  • Thor: 6'6"
  • The Hulk: (Banner) 5'9", (Grey) 6'6", (Green) 7'0"
  • Colossus: (Regular) 6'6" (Armored) 7'5"

So I'd guess that the average is about 6' for the males, 5'7" for the females. Okay, don't ask about Pip the Troll. I'd've put Puck in there, but they don't have any information about him, durn it...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK got it. Not pretty how I did it, but I finally got it. Colvoluted as heck and I hope I remember how for the next time...

attachment.php?s=&postid=76747

That about right? I made the skintone a bit more "ruddy" than my usual, tried to match the blonde with the one in your pic (which was very nicely done btw) and tweaked the shadows so that they would hug the garments properly. The other picture that I had was in a red 'bodysuit' because that whole outline was a single shape. I just changed the shape's interior color from red to that of skin tone and drew the clothing on top, making the interior of that shape white. Add a few lines for garment folds and voile! Didn't take overly long using Illustrator.

Is there some sort of piping along the top collar? should the top collar be lower? Did I get the skort thing right?

Originally posted by Publius

That about right? I made the skintone a bit more "ruddy" than my usual, tried to match the blonde with the one in your pic (which was very nicely done btw) and tweaked the shadows so that they would hug the garments properly. The other picture that I had was in a red 'bodysuit' because that whole outline was a single shape. I just changed the shape's interior color from red to that of skin tone and drew the clothing on top, making the interior of that shape white. Add a few lines for garment folds and voile! Didn't take overly long using Illustrator.

Is there some sort of piping along the top collar? should the top collar be lower? Did I get the skort thing right?

Very nice, Publius! I like that. I picture her face as being a bit more triangular with high cheekbones; she's an ethnic Russian (and Russian citizen); hence the name: Zl'f, Russian for "pixie" or "sprite". The similarity to the Greek word "sylph" is obvious, and both words come from the same ancient Greek word for butterfly. She is supposed to be very pale (Not vampiric!); with a light dusting of freckles on her face and shoulders.

Her costume is supposed to be a white short belted cotton gauze "poncho" over a strapless white spandex bodysuit. The picture I did just doesn't have it right, but it's the best I've managed so far. (I've been considering simply changing it to a tunic or long sleeved shirt, perhaps one of those traditional Russian-style puffy-sleeved/high collar ones with the buttons over to the side rather than centered.) It's supposed to be short, she's a gymnast and needs freedom of movement. It should be off the shoulders, but you've got the length about right. I envisioned some type of geometrical pattern along the edges of the shirt, perhaps embroidered butterflys (which would be too small to show at this scale anyway.) or flowers.

If you'll e-mail me your e-mail address, I'll send you a copy of the picture where I got the basic idea for the costume. (You can't send e-mail attachments through the forum.)

Originally posted by Wyrm Ouroboros

I may be wrong about her height, yah. On the other hand ...

Let's go see the Marvel site. Who do we have?

• Pip the Troll: 4'4"
  • Wolverine: 5'3"
  • Wasp: 5'4"
  • Shadowcat: 5'6"
  • Phoenix/Jean Grey: 5'6"
  • Phoenix/Rachel Summers: 5'7"
  • Rogue: 5'8"
  • Nightcrawler: 5'9"
  • Spider-Man: 5'10".
  • Psylocke: 5'11"
  • Beast: 5'11"
  • Angel: 6'0".
  • Thing: 6'0"
  • Sub-Mariner: 6'2".
  • Captain America (Steve Rogers): 6'2".
  • Cyclops: 6'3"
  • Silver Surfer: 6'4"
  • Thor: 6'6"
  • The Hulk: (Banner) 5'9", (Grey) 6'6", (Green) 7'0"
  • Colossus: (Regular) 6'6" (Armored) 7'5"

So I'd guess that the average is about 6' for the males, 5'7" for the females. Okay, don't ask about Pip the Troll. I'd've put Puck in there, but they don't have any information about him, durn it...

Based on your suggestion, I've rescaled the male figure to 6'0" (4% shorter) for purposes of comparison.

I'm not familiiar with Pip the Troll, but excepting him Zl'f is still apparently shorter than anyone else (human, anyway) in the Marvel universe, even Wolverine who is often called "short stuff". As I said, 4'10" is shorter than an average American 12-year-old girl.

Oookay

Made dress off the shoulder, at least on one side. added freckles, more angular face and lightened skintone (looking at your own pic I thought you wanted it more red-pink, but this is a lighter fleshtone). Not much I can do about the dress at the moment and I'm going to be pretty busy for the upcoming while, but I threw on something vaguely floral looking as an edge pattern (w/o the green line btw you cannot even see that stuff).

p><p>

Originally posted by Wyrm Ouroboros

Hate to say this, but I'm pretty certain that picture is off. I'm 6'3", and one of my friends -- 5'4" -- doesn't quite come up to my shoulder. On the other hand, I've done the copy/resize bit, 4'10" being 77% of 6'3", and it matches, more or less...

Scary, that.

I should point out that many of the male images are standing upright, while the females are standing with their hips cocked strongly to one side & many have their shoulders slightly tilted.

This makes them look alot smaller than they are.

Everything you mother told you about posture was true:D

Originally posted by ChaosDrgn

ok, I'm a moron (and no, you can NOT quote me on that later) How do you embed the pictures?

considering how long it took me to do this, you are not a moron, and I semi cheated by scoping out the codeTrebuchet was using (the reply button is a beautiful thing for checking out the vB code) to get me started, and then getting around the next problem, finding the darned attached file to make the link. Then the next... next...

This is one seriously choppy method, but I managed to button monkey my way through it.

1. Write in the massage field, this is important for part 3 below because if you don;t it gives you an error message. No I don;t know why.

2. go down to "attach file" hit browse and find your pic. Obviously you have to hit ok in the window or nothing happens.

3. here is where I have been completely stumped previously, the only way I have been able to do this is by selecting the whole address for the file in the "Attach file" field, then hitting enter. I have no idea why this is the only thing that works for me, other methods are no doubt more clean/clear. BTW, this posts the message.

4. In the message shoiuld be a link to the attachment. So far so good. Now, real quick like right click on the link for the attached file and go down to "copy shortcut",

5. then (again real quick like) hit the "edit" button and jump back into your post. Wherever you wish the image to appear type

(shift+,)img src=" "(shift+.)

Now of course (shift+,) refers to the < character and (shift+.) is his buddy >, but if I put that in above, the system thinks I am trying to imbed an image and you get a dead pic box.

6. Now go to the " " part of the code you just typed in, and between the double quotes paste the link you have already copied in step 4. Myself I keep an extra window open and have done the code in advance, paste the attached file shortcut inside, select/copy that and paste it whole in the spot I want, but you do whatever you understand best.

7. Tell it to save changes, and it should look about right.

In order to double check that I got the friggin' nasty hackjob right, let me post something down here. My pic for an as yet untitled hero/villain/NPC/something-or-other

attachment.php?s=&postid=77095

That looks very cool, not really DCU Anm style, but I'm assuming that you are posting it to make sure that my patent-pending 'Button-Monkey-nasty-Hackjob' method works right?

Oh, btw, Jhamin I think makes a good point about the slouch-factor (or is it the pose-factor) of the female templates and its affect on their height. Good call Jhamin.

Oh, btw, Jhamin I think makes a good point about the slouch-factor (or is it the pose-factor) of the female templates and its affect on their height. Good call Jhamin.

Well, now you know your next mission: Create "non-slouching" templates for the ladies. Perhaps the DCU designers felt that having the girls stand straight with their shoulder back like the male poses would accentuate the chest too much.

That looks very cool, not really DCU Anm style, but I'm assuming that you are posting it to make sure that my patent-pending 'Button-Monkey-nasty-Hackjob' method works right?

Uh...no...Ive know how to do that for many years now.

RE: the pic, I took a DCU body, added a head from a figure, and there you go. DCU + head.

Guest white peregrine

did this here at work without the use of photoshop. all I have here at work is general Paint which most pc's have on them. while not as "clean" as those done with photoshop I did this to show those that lack it that they still can do decent pics in this style.

as far as the pic itself it is a character that I have been working on for a while now. this version is not all that great and lacks some details ando coloring but given it was done in 24bit Paint I think it came out all right given my tools...

Crusader : a work in progress