Funniest Superhero Moments

tmutant

We've had Dumbest (pretty funny), and Most Embarassing (very funny). How about sharing your funniest Champions moments? Me first:

A superstrong bad guy called Destroyer was bashing through down town. My character, Megalith, shows up. So did our gadgeteer, Commander Krull, unseen by the villain. Krull does a time stop on him. Megalith (a brick), winds up the haymaker. Time stop ends, haymaker lands, Destroyer goes to knockback land. He gets away. Later, rampaging through an amusement park after robbing the box office, same thing. Unseen Krull, haymaker, captured this time and sent to Stronghold. Big villain breakout in Stronghold. Megalith goes after Destroyer, no Krull. Megalith steps into view, Destroyer collapses in terror. "Don't hit me, I give up". He never did figure out the "Krull Factor".:D

Long time ago so I don't remember everything, but there was a Junior Vanguard of teenage heroes. One of their first adventures they find C.L.O.W.N. is taking apps and has sent them all out with a scavenger hunt list. The teens capture one and send the app to jail, then continue the scavenger hunt.

Over the next week we all put in item suggestions and next week the team gets the final copy, which included a cape off Vanguard's team leader American Valor, a certain rare trinket out of a cereal box and so on. They pooled their allowance money and had basically none, nor would the superpatriotic AV give up his flag cape so they 'borrowed' an AV doll and used that. For the toy they eventually used Xray vision, taking down every box on the shelf till they got it. :-)

Later on they encountered FoxBat, and the shapeshifter teammate who was hungry at the time, flew over Foxbat's head, turned himself into a banana cream pie several hexes in size... and let nature take its course. SPLAT

The last one was from our GM. One of the players had a powerful armored suit with EB, but had only bought 5" inches of flight at X2 NC intending to upgrade it later.

When it came time for us to chase down the villains we all zoom off, and this player does the same. The GM asks what his flight speed is, knowing the answer, and starts making puttputtputtputt sounds as he slowly moves that players icon across the hex map, with an occasional PING for good measure.

That character has never lived that down.

The one that caused me to slap my head...

I was actually out for the session but when recounted to me, my character began to bang his head against the wall. Luckily, I was a Power Suit. ;)

We had been after this team of international mercenaries. They were young kids (18-24) but had some rather heavy powers. We had attempted multiple times to capture them but they always seemed to teleport and get away at the last moment. My character, in fact, was built to stop them - having a Force Wall that stopped teleportation. And we almost had them on the last session, but once again managed to just get away. However, this time one of them left behind his weapon's case that had his sword in it. Yay! Trophy.

BTW, I should also mention that we were a new super team that was under constant scrutiny by law officials - to the point that we knew that the FBI was monitoring our base from a van parked nearby.

So, at the next gaming session, the one that I was not at, the villain who's sword we had showed up at the front door to our base. He told them that he was there to pick up his sword. So, the heroes opened the door, let him in to get his weapon and then let him leave. With the FBI clickin' away with their cameras as we allowed a wanted fugative in and out without so much as a hard handshake.

My teammates' reasoning? "We couldn't stop him before, we wouldn't have been able to stop him this time so we figured we try to get on his good side."

I was introducing my wife to a Golden Age game and she was learning the character and rules from scratch. At some point, one of the other players started asking me questions about certain powers and among them were questions about enhanced perception powers. My wife suddenly says "do I have super vision?". Her character didn't have any sort of vision enhancements so I said "no", to which she replied... "Sweet! I'm unsupervised!"

Maybe it was just because it was late or maybe because of the way my wife said it, but that had us laughing forever! :D

Universal theories

I introduced my players to a for-hire villain named Dr. Discus (borrowed from a friend). Dr. Discus has a rather versatile disc gun and other gadgets, along with a pet theory that he believes answers everything from the sun's low neutrino emissions to what happens to socks in the dryer. Throughout combat, he tries to interest the players in this Theory of the Universal Discal Constant.

This immediately started irritating one of the player characters, which caused two other player characters to ask Dr. Discus questions about his theory mainly to make the first guy mad. It didn't help any that Dr. Discus was doing pretty well in the fight, especially against that first player character.

Finally, the player mutters, "That's it. I'm going to introduce him to my Theory on Gliding Hotel Furniture."

Local Jargon: 'Radland'

During one epic confrontation, our group of heroes was fighting a high-powered super-sorcerer in and around an active volcano ... I think he was doing the ritual there. At any rate, during the battle, a character named Rad (radiation powered skateboarding kid) took a plummet and landed in the lava. He had enough rPD to not take Body, but he was knocked out by the lava's continual 4d6 Killing attack, with no hope of recover anytime soon. For no other reason than sheer boredom after that, he rolled the damage at appropriate times and applied it to himself. When all was said and done, he was at -542 Stun. We adopted the term 'Radland' when referring to being at any negative-triple-digits STUN total.

It's made even funnier that one of the group's few fliers swooped down to him while he was still, perhaps capable of being rescued and recovering in a useful amount of time. Rather than pulling him out of the lava, the flying brick picked up Rad's body and used it like a bulldozer blade, trying to spray lava up at the bad guy!

Teamwork? What's that?

Setup: Modern government supers team in a training scenario. Group broken up into two teams. Practicing Capture techniques - minimal force - scenario ends when someone ends up in the 'cage'.

Character: Goldbrick - Brick type has been around since WWII. Almost legendaryily lazy, in that game world responsible for the phrase goldbricking.

The scenario starts Goldbrick grabs his closest team member, throws him into the cage, slaps his hands together and says 'Right, that's lunch'

After the group recovered and the Team leader finished shouting the scenario was restarted with the caveat other team member.

The one I laugh over the most is as follows:

I am 'guest GMing' in a well established game. The players enter the 'bad corporation' that deals with metas and aliens. During a chat with the VP, an Alien that looks like one of the team members comes barrelling into the room and is chased by 5 agents carrying the 'Knock Alien Into Next Tuesday' Rifles . One of the team members puts up a force wall around the Alien to protect him while the negotiations begin. Apparently the player who put up the force wall decided to begin reading a comic book instead of participating in the discussion.

During the heated debate the team leader says, "Is there anyway we can resolve this issue?"

The evil VP says, "I can resolve it right now if you drop the Force Wall."

The player heard '...drop the Force Wall,' so he looks up from his comic and goes "okey," and makes a gesture of turning off the Force Wall. The other players scream "NO!" as I begin to roll the damage dice to the hapless alien.

In a teenage game, one of my players inspired by Batman Beyond decided to play a supersuit who's grandfather was a WWII hero, and radioed him commentary and advice. Going through GAC he decided to update Knight Owl to a modern supersuit, detective.

Egg grenades.

While running a bunch of vignettes to introduce the characters to each others, one of the other players, after seeing a bad guy taken down by an egg grenade entangle that hit the badguy in the upper body cracks "There's egg on your face". From that point on...

Are you going to "Egg-sterminate them"

This is "Egg-Citing"

He's very En-Egg-matic"

After missing; "Egg-scrable Aim"

The player was annoyed for a bit, but then spent a lot of time muttering about it to grandpa on the radio, and turned it into a character bit.

Originally posted by Lord Mhoram

In a teenage game, one of my players inspired by Batman Beyond decided to play a supersuit who's grandfather was a WWII hero, and radioed him commentary and advice. Going through GAC he decided to update Knight Owl to a modern supersuit, detective.

Egg grenades.

While running a bunch of vignettes to introduce the characters to each others, one of the other players, after seeing a bad guy taken down by an egg grenade entangle that hit the badguy in the upper body cracks "There's egg on your face". From that point on...

Are you going to "Egg-sterminate them"

This is "Egg-Citing"

He's very En-Egg-matic"

After missing; "Egg-scrable Aim"

The player was annoyed for a bit, but then spent a lot of time muttering about it to grandpa on the radio, and turned it into a character bit.

Egg-cellent.:)

Naive Player

One of the players in my game is a wonderful person, a great player, but is woefully naive. Two stories about her:

1) The heroes are attending a trial for three supervillainesses they had captured robbing a bank, when VIPER breaks in with the apparent goal of kidnapping the defendents. The player in question has her character chase one of the defendents who was making a break for it, seeing her get into a van outside the courthouse. The superhero gives chase, unaware that she has become the victim of a mental illusion. After the first few moments of the chase, however, all of the other players have figured this out.

She catches up to and grabs the van, wrenching open the back door to climb inside. To her surprise, the van is not only missing the person she is chasing -- there's nobody in the van, not even a driver. As the van gets onto the highway, she goes up to the driver's seat and notices that none of the other cars on the highway have drivers, either.

Eventually, the player had to be told that it was a mental illusion, whereupon she wakes up sitting in the middle of traffic where she first saw the van.

2) The player missed the second part of an adventure where the heroes' powers were removed by Infinite Man just before they had to go rescue one hero's family from a British member of ARGENT. The team had travelled to England, without weapons, and now had to invade an offshore ARGENT base, so they were trying to get some weapons from London's criminal element when the first part ended. When she called and said she wouldn't be there for part 2, the other players and I decided to pull a prank and tell her she was captured by the police while getting the weapons.

The next game, she shows up and I have a fake scenario set up where she is in her cell when IRA terrorists blow a hole in her jail cell wall (they picked the wrong cell). I'm running this, just for giggles, and she's believing it's all real. Not sure who her "rescuers" are, she makes a verbal slip and asks, "Are you with the IRS?"

All of us cracked up, and I couldn't even go on with the gag. I'm thinking of making a paranormal arm of the IRA with the initials IRS, just to rub salt in the wound.

That borders on cruel BOE. Funny, but cruel non the less...

This probably has happened to others, but once, Powerman, in a fit of rage attempted a Pushed, Full Speed Movethrough with a nice long (1 extra phase) build up. I missed. Made a crater the size of a baseball diamond in the street. It was a 40d6 attack and due to a fortunately low roll, Powerman wasn't even stunned. He was embarrassed however.

It did make for a nice PRE attack though when the villain in question went to the crater only to find Powerman's hand at the villain's throat.

"Let's try that again, shall we?"

A GenCon Moment

I was at GenCon a few years back, and was involved in a game where one player was the type to dominate the entire game. You know the type, giving orders (even though his character wasn't team leader), verbally pushing around those who dared question or, God forbid, not follow his orders, etc. Another player was new to Champions and didn't know how things went, so he tended to listen when Mr. Type A gave him directions. The Newbie was playing a brick-type character.

We were in the climactic battle, and one character grabbed the main bad guy. We knew he couldn't hold him for long, and he was both hard to hit normally, and hard to damage.

Newbie had something he wanted to try, but Mr. Type A instructed him to perform a haymaker on Big Baddie. While Newbie's idea may not have been the best idea mathematically, it was creative. But Mr. Type A insisted and insisted until finally Newbie agreed to perform the haymaker.

So Newbie winds up and... rolls a critical failure. In one shot, he KO's the teammate who was holding Big Baddie. I only wish it had been Mr. Type A's character who had gotten KO'd.