Re-Imaged Hero(ines)

mikesama

One of the comics series I really enjoyed was when they released a re-imaged version of the DC universe with known names completely redone. So in the spirit of re-imaging I want to have a little running contest.

I'll give the name of a hero from comicdom and give me a character based on the name. After 48 hours I'll choose my favorite and then the winner will choose the next name and choose the next winner.

I want to start with a less known character, The Scarlet Fox.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Re-Imaged Hero(ines)

Coming into possession of an ancient Druidic Fox-totem, young Abigail Chambers found herself endowed with amazing abilities whenever she had it with her. Among other things, she could see in the dark, run and leap incredibly well, and hide better than a needle in a haystack. Devising a costume for herself, she became the superheroine The Scarlet Fox.

Rarely confronting criminals directly, she uses her stealth and wits to lead police to them, or sets up situations where the villains will think the others have betrayed them. She operates throughout the United Kingdom, but is most active in Birmingham.

Recently, the British underworld has contracted with the international assassin, The Huntsman to track down and remove the Scarlet Fox. Unknown to Abigail or the Huntsman's employers, he is a rather disturbed individual who is using his career as a way to help him collect various Druidic artifacts and build up enough blood-energy for his master plan. Once he has enough of both, he intends to enact a dark ritual at Stonehenge, loosing a supercharged Wild Hunt upon England and the world with himself at its head.

Offspring of a shapeshifting fox and the human she seduced, Suka-retto Kitsune is a rather strange-looking Japanese boy with natural bright red hair who was forced to flee to Los Angeles to escape a secret agency of the Japanese government dedicated to keeping the spirit and material worlds separate. From his mother he has inherited the ability to change into both normal and giant humanoid fox forms as well as his ability to create illusions. Adopted into a pack of werewolves as Scarlet Fox, they have found his abilities to be very valuable.

Alana Wu was a startlingly beautiful girl who had her powers manifest when she was a teenager. Those powers were phermonal and low powered psychic in nature. She became a runway supermodel, and with the money that brought in created a charitible foundation and set up shelters for homless and battered women. At one point, the foundation was attacked by a couple of low powered supervillians, and she used her mental and phermonal powers to nuetralize them until the police came. The when asked if she was a new superhero she laughed and said call me "Dream Girl". And when the two villians were in jail, the most amazing thing happened, they confessed to every crime they had ever commited, and who they worked with, which brought a number of unsolved cases to closure, and helped nab a major mob figure.

That is what the world knows.

Alana's "attraction powers" are only a secondary ability. She has the ability to go into people's dreams, and cause personality shifts through them. Normally she has to have had a psychic lock on someone before she can do this, by using her normal low level psi abilities. She had been using those powers for years to help the self esteem and confidence of those that needed help at her shelters and through her foundation. When the supervillians showed up, she realized that she could do a lot more than she did with her powers.

The main reason she became a superhero wasn't to fight crime, specifically, but to be able to get close to supervillians to put a psychic lock on them so she can slide into thier dreams an help them become better people. She is looking to join a team, as she knows that her direct powers are not well suited for combat.

The Wisps are strange comminglings of gas and complex organic compounds with powers to generate light. Myth has it that they deliberately lure travellers into bogs, but in truth they merely go about their affairs, feeding on the methane produced by decaying plant life and glowing as they communicate with each other in subtle variations of frequencies. The foolishness of solid animals would be no concern of theirs even if they could comprehend such alien creatures.

But on one day, one wisp ran into such an animal who was...different. When she was close to other living beings she knew things about them. She could see in their minds, feel their bodies as though they were her own. It drove her more than half-mad. And so at a young age she fled the city where she lived to dwell in a tumbledown shack surrounded by a swamp. But her closest neighbours were very bad men, and she was pretty. Things happened. Afterward she ran blindly into the swamp, and stumbled into a body of water covered by a layer of green scum. As she was drowning, a wisp came by, busy on its own wispy affairs when it felt something it had never felt before and couldn't understand. It felt as if a person was trying to talk to it but it couldn't feel the touch of another person's light. Curious, it hovered closely over the water and Jenny's flailing arm reached up and through it. In that moment a lifetime partnership was created, a joint entity which could read minds, heal, or pacify with a touch and fly through the air as a glowing green sphere known as the Green Lantern.

In 1811 Nathan Wainwright was a sailor on the Boston's Pride, a merchant schooner bound for France with trade goods and diplomatic letters. The ship was stopped and boarded by A British naval vessel. When Wainwright, who secretly worked for the American government, tried to protect the secret papers, he was found out and forced to flee. In the end he was cornered in the foc'sle of the ship. Faced wit a choice between capture and death he choose to dive into the sea. As the water closed above his head and darkness took him he thought he could see a light in the distance.

Several nights latter Wainwright's body washed ashore on Carrboro Island on the rocky shores of Delaware. He was found by a lonely lighthouse keeper and buried in the sand at the foot of the lighthouse.

When a British fleet approached during the War of 1812, Wainwright's ghost, in the form of a 60 foot tall green glowing ghost attacked the ships and sent them retreating back out to sea. For the rest of the War Wainwright's ghost, Called the Green Lantern for his color, his glow, and the fact that he always appeared near lighthouses, appeared up and down the coast protecting the fledgling democracy from invasion. After the war was over the Green Lantern disappeared. But legend has it that on occasion during times of great national danger, he will reappear to protect the rocky shores of America.

[secondary definition of Lantern - The room at the top of a lighthouse where the light is located. Obsolete. A lighthouse.]

Green Lantern: It was time long ago a simple man who was a glass maker found a strange green sand. He worked long and hard with this strange colored sand and in time, a lifetime, he created a small globe of green glass.

The beings known as gods, but in reality just highly evolved beings happened to see this man as he finished the work of he's lifetime, they wondered why he had did this. One of them, a female that loved to watch and when able, without the others knowing, help humans. She waited until the others left and appeared to the man. "I understand why you worked so long to make a perfect work, for this I will allow you one wish?"

The man looked at the goddess and said, "I ask that this be a light unto the world may it give unto those that see it hope." With that he died.

The goddess, touched the globe and changed it, now within it is a never dieing flame, the light that shines from it gives all that see it a feeling of hope and the power to heal and more. Over the centuries it has pasted down from hand to hand, but was lost in the distant past.

It was found by a young woman in the mountains of Eastern Ky. The girl was without hope, she had lost all she had, parents, grandparents, a job. When she found it the power of the hope within opened her heart and mind and awoke within her a hidden power. The light that filled her, gave to her more than the power of hope she became the emboidiment of that power.

After learning how to use this light, she found she could heal, manipulate life itself, and use it to both defend herself and others. The globe is now bonded with her and it is carried as a Lantern. She has become the Green Lantern, the beacon of hope and has chosen to use that light to help those in the world.

Green Lantern:

A long time ago, a great battle was fought, and a magic ring was lost. And things that should not have been forgotten, were left forgotten.

Jed was a simple man, a simple Kansas farmer, out in the middle of nowhere. Not too bright, merely a child in many ways, but he had a heart of gold as much as any Golden Age Hero that fought in the Great War.

The ring was not evil, such concepts was beyond it, it was simply Power. Once, it had nearly limitless power, but now it was practically useless, a mere shadow of its former glory.

Jed found the ring and put it on. The ring talked to Jed's mind, and Jed understood a little. The ring explained that even its weakened state, it could command power that he could only dream of. It tempted him with visions of everything it could do. If Jed had become a supervillian right then and there, no one less than a saint would have blamed him.

But this was Jed. A simple Kansas farmer. "Can we help people." The ring was confused, it was designed to take orders and to grant power immaginable, and here was someone talking to it as if it was... worthy of being talked to. The ring like this, "Yes. We can do that." "Can you show me how?" The ring was again confused, it must follow orders of its master, therefore it must indeed be allowed to show him how.

"I will teach you." Jed just smiled, he was good at listening. "Ok, but I'm gonna ask some dumb questions. "

Unfortuately, no. It was so badly damaged all it could managed was green, green, and a greenish black.

I suppose it could still make you invisible in a dark forest. :rolleyes:

But, yeah, I did write up this character after Lord of the Rings and from the comic book scenes where Green Lanterns were starting to pull Golden Age Superman tricks and wondering, "*****, do you know what I would do with that much Power??"

"Give me the Ring!"

In the Golden Age campaign, he called himself "Green Liberty" since Liberty was the closest word that Jed could understand from the ring's vague desire to rule. However, Green Lantern would be a simular miscommunication error.

To a certain extent, it was the standard Green Lantern powers, but there was some minor differences. He had the ability to bring worth "green energy constructs" which seemed to be of a different mind and purpose seperate from the ring. It was never found out (except by the GM) that these were spirits trapped in the ring (Kilowog did something simular with his ring). These spirits would eventually had to go back to the ring or face death as the construct bodies ran out of power.

It also knew about atomic power and other things that seemed magical, but was just really good alien technology. Why the One Ring knew about alien technology was just another confusing piece of the puzzle.

It's powers could not affect wood (yellow was deemed too silly). This was due to accident where a magical forest was burned down and curse the ring to never again affect wood.

It's a couple of hours early, but I have to go to work so....

Blue Jogger - I liked the tone and it felt like a real elsewords kind of thing - riffing on Superman, GL and LoTR.

McManus - loved the classis use of Lantern, and the whole "Old Soldier" vibe to the character.

David Johnston - this was a tough choice I really liked the whole idea, but you came in second, but only by a hair.

The Winnaa is The RavenIs - Hope to the hopeless, and shining beacon from the gods. Very nicely done.

Your turn.

Three thousand years ago an apparently normal boy found himself taking an unusually long time to start puberty. Five years passed, then ten, then fifteen and still he remained unchanged. His tribe was, needless to say, very impressed, so much so that by the time 30 years had passed, they were worshipping him as a god. Of course in reality that mean he was little more than a slave in unusually comfortable circumstances. The priests controlled his life entirely, using him as a religious and political tool while he amused himself with escape attempts. Sometimes he'd succeed and end up out on his own for a year or five, but a special order of "godhunters" would always track him down and put him back where he "belonged".

Eventually though, a conquering army came and swept away the small nation his tribe had become, and escaping in the confusion, he vowed to never again let anyone know about his eternal youth. A few surviving priests blamed him for the defeat, and founded a new secret order dedicated to finding and punishing him. Of course life on his own for a perpetual twelve-year old was not so easy. He became a phenomenally skilled thief just to support himself, and although his small size handicapped him in close combat, centuries of practise made him incredibly accurate with projectiles. He needed that ability because apart from all the other hazards, the hunters were still on his trail down through the centuries, having developed a whole mythology about how he was the Devil incarnate and needed to be imprisoned to save the world. Often he'd spend decades alone in the wilderness, spawning legends of boys who were being raised by the animals.

But in the 19th century he travelled to the American West where, known as "The Kid", he took advantage of loose standards to gamble, drink and kill his way across the land for about fifteen years before the pursuit of the hunters, mundane law and worst of all the newspapers. It wasn't until the 20th century that the appearance of superheroes gave him another way to relate to humanity. Caught while burglarising a superhero's home, he became "Kid Eternity", sidekick to Doctor Eon, a genius who developed clever weapons that Kid could use to even the odds against larger opponents. Doc Eon lived a long time helped by a life-extending drug that kept him young into his sixties, but the Kid lasted even longer and as the inheritor of Eon's fortune, he is now one of the world's wealthier industrialists, using an elderly actor as a front man. When he goes out now as Kid Eternity, people assume that he's a legacy hero.

When the Amalgam universe separated in to the two original universes, a little bit of the Marvel universe was left in the DC-Verse. This little bit was part of the sentience of the Marvel Universe known as Eternity. The fragment of Eternity made it's way to Earth where it took corporeal form and began dealing with the JLA and other Heroes as Kid Eternity, the Living Universe.

“Blah blah blah, blah blah, waa, blaa”

Damn, this class is lasting forever. I’m bored. So bored.

Blaaah blaaah blaaaa”

Is Mrs. Armstrong actually talking slower, or what?

G_d I’m frickin’ bored.

“BLLLAAH BLAAHHHH WHAAA”

That’s just weird.

Hey, Tracy is leaning over! I can see right up her shirt!

Why is she moving so slow?

Stop! Stop there! Man, I can see everything!

She stopped.

SHE STOPPED!

I can see it all! Man is she hot!

Why isn’t Mrs. Armstrong talking anymore?

Why isn’t anyone talking? Or moving?

Whoa. They’re all stopped.

I can do anything!

I…they’re still not moving.

Help.

Please help.

Go!

GO GO GO!

Nothing.

They’re still all stopped.

I’m all alone.

Forever.

For eternity.

Well, at least there's Tracy.

Man. Those are awesome.

I need a cool name.

I’m Kid Eternity.

Three thousand years ago an apparently normal boy found himself taking an unusually long time to start puberty. Five years passed, then ten, then fifteen and still he remained unchanged. His tribe was, needless to say, very impressed, so much so that by the time 30 years had passed, they were worshipping him as a god. Of course in reality that mean he was little more than a slave in unusually comfortable circumstances. The priests controlled his life entirely, using him as a religious and political tool while he amused himself with escape attempts. Sometimes he'd succeed and end up out on his own for a year or five, but a special order of "godhunters" would always track him down and put him back where he "belonged".

Eventually though, a conquering army came and swept away the small nation his tribe had become, and escaping in the confusion, he vowed to never again let anyone know about his eternal youth. A few surviving priests blamed him for the defeat, and founded a new secret order dedicated to finding and punishing him. Of course life on his own for a perpetual twelve-year old was not so easy. He became a phenomenally skilled thief just to support himself, and although his small size handicapped him in close combat, centuries of practise made him incredibly accurate with projectiles. He needed that ability because apart from all the other hazards, the hunters were still on his trail down through the centuries, having developed a whole mythology about how he was the Devil incarnate and needed to be imprisoned to save the world. Often he'd spend decades alone in the wilderness, spawning legends of boys who were being raised by the animals.

But in the 19th century he travelled to the American West where, known as "The Kid", he took advantage of loose standards to gamble, drink and kill his way across the land for about fifteen years before the pursuit of the hunters, mundane law and worst of all the newspapers. It wasn't until the 20th century that the appearance of superheroes gave him another way to relate to humanity. Caught while burglarising a superhero's home, he became "Kid Eternity", sidekick to Doctor Eon, a genius who developed clever weapons that Kid could use to even the odds against larger opponents. Doc Eon lived a long time helped by a life-extending drug that kept him young into his sixties, but the Kid lasted even longer and as the inheritor of Eon's fortune, he is now one of the world's wealthier industrialists, using an elderly actor as a front man. When he goes out now as Kid Eternity, people assume that he's a legacy hero.

Looks like we have a winner. Your turn, David Johnston.