Shazam!

John Desmarais

Re: Shazam!

I like AMSHIR! Tho Id rearrange it to ASHMIR! I just think it soundz better... Just an opinion.

ASHMIR sounded more like something from modern Arabic, to me. AMSHIR sounds more Ancient Egyptian to my ear. Of course, the Big League Mage in my hero game is named ANKHESENISIS,because I dig Ancient Egyptian odd names :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my characters, my only Captain Marvel type, had the word "Untano"

Ukaliit, the snowshoe hare: Invisibility

Natsiq, the seal: Swimming

Tuktut, the caribou: Swift running

Amaruit, the wolf: Tracking

Nanook, the bear: Strength

Ookpik, the arctic owl: Silent flight

All of these are Iniktitut words.

Very cool. Are these referring to intelligent, anthopomorphic totems/gods in the culture (like Coyote in some more southerly Native American cultures)? Or does the character just have animal-based powers?

Very cool. Are these referring to intelligent' date=' anthopomorphic totems/gods in the culture (like Coyote in some more southerly Native American cultures)? Or does the character just have animal-based powers?[/quote']

Thank you. And they were referring to the totemic versions of the animals.

Wasn't there a character on the WB animated Static-Shock called Shebangs?

Where's the reverse acronym-engineering for that one guys?

Yep, genetically engineered girl, IIRC.

Her name was She-bang. AFAIK (and can find) her name isn't an anycroym. She just hoped to be mistaken for a Bang Baby and was a girl so She-bang fit the bill.

From Wikipedia: Like Captain Marvel's magic word "Shazam"' date=' [sABBAC'] is an acronym for the six beings who empower Sabbac: the demons Satan, Any, Belial, Beelzebub, Asmodeus, and Craeteis.

Rather amusing that the character originally created to fight the sidekick was more powerful [technically speaking] then the villain for the main hero, going by thier acronym.

Rather amusing that the character originally created to fight the sidekick was more powerful [technically speaking] then the villain for the main hero' date=' going by thier acronym.[/quote']

Actually, IBAC was just a big dumb brute. Fawcette didn't really give him the credit he deserved. How in the world can a guy who derives his power from guys like Ivan the Terrible, Borgia, Attila the Hun and Caligula be an idiot thug???

As for SABBAC... Considering his power source(s) DC should put him on the highest tier of power along with Superman, Dr. Fate, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Batman (for his intelligence) and maybe even The Spectre.

I hope Judd Winick includes him in DC's Marvel Family 12 issue revamp coming out in August.

For those that are interested there's more information info here: http://www.marvelfamily.com/

SABBAC recently appeared in DC continuity (I think the Outsiders, but I may be misrecalling). A russian crime figure got ahold of his alter ego, and using a itual involving the death of the former power holder, took over the Sabbac abilities. He's considerably smarter, and quite a bit more evil, than the original version.

Actually, IBAC was just a big dumb brute. Fawcette didn't really give him the credit he deserved. How in the world can a guy who derives his power from guys like Ivan the Terrible, Borgia, Attila the Hun and Caligula be an idiot thug???

As for SABBAC... Considering his power source(s) DC should put him on the highest tier of power along with Superman, Dr. Fate, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Batman (for his intelligence) and maybe even The Spectre.

I hope Judd Winick includes him in DC's Marvel Family 12 issue revamp coming out in August.

For those that are interested there's more information info here: http://www.marvelfamily.com/

I agree with you about SABBAC. With his power sources he ought to be an uber nasty villain that gives Superman nightmares. Of course, when you think about it Captain Marvel himself should be considerably more powerful then he is often portrayed. The Wisdom of Solomon and Power of Zeus alone should make him considerably more then just a second rate Superman, as some seem to think of him.

As for IBAC, I think the guy got screwed over in more ways then one. Even if he was portrayed with all the proper abilities his power sources would give him, he would still not be as powerful as Captain Marvel. The strength of four men just doesn't compare with that of Hercules after all, plus only three of the guy's sources are really usefull. Sure you have two of the most dangerous military leaders of the ancient and medival worlds plus a world class schemer in Borgia, but Caligula was just nuts. That last letter would need to be replaced I think, in any updating of IBAC's powers.

SABBAC recently appeared in DC continuity (I think the Outsiders' date=' but I may be misrecalling). A russian crime figure got ahold of his alter ego, and using a itual involving the death of the former power holder, took over the Sabbac abilities. He's considerably smarter, and quite a bit more evil, than the original version.[/quote']

SABBAC II (Ishmael Gregor) to be more specific. I thought that they did a good job with him then and since (though he should have been MUCH more powerful when he captured the deadly sins). I'd like to see him elevated to senior villain status though. He could become a DC villain (like Dr. Doom) instead of a Marvel (family) villain.

SABBAC II info: http://www.marvelfamily.com/WhosWho/whoswho.aspx?castID=1345

I agree with you about SABBAC. With his power sources he ought to be an uber nasty villain that gives Superman nightmares. Of course, when you think about it Captain Marvel himself should be considerably more powerful then he is often portrayed. The Wisdom of Solomon and Power of Zeus alone should make him considerably more then just a second rate Superman, as some seem to think of him.

As for IBAC, I think the guy got screwed over in more ways then one. Even if he was portrayed with all the proper abilities his power sources would give him, he would still not be as powerful as Captain Marvel. The strength of four men just doesn't compare with that of Hercules after all, plus only three of the guy's sources are really usefull. Sure you have two of the most dangerous military leaders of the ancient and medival worlds plus a world class schemer in Borgia, but Caligula was just nuts. That last letter would need to be replaced I think, in any updating of IBAC's powers.

I think Caligula could be portrayed in his psyche in such a manner to be quite wonderful. The others were magnificent, if not megamaniacle, leaders and thinkers... It's the Gaius (Caligula) Maddness, the excessive cruelty, immoral sexual escapades, and disrespect toward tradition that could make IBAC more than just another Dooms or Luthors... Gaius' insanity elevates IBAC to a new level of evil by adding an edge to his aloof, arrogant, egotistical, and cuttingly witty personality.

Too bad we've never seen this...Here's to hoping. ;)

Well that's certainly one way of looking at it Golden Age. :)

Myself I see Caligula and can't help thinking that this guy makes the Joker look rational by comparison. Especially when a minor change in name could provide the megalomania with more stable personalities.

He could be IBAR with the abilities of Ramses for example.

Or IBAV with Vlad Tepes filling in the final slot.

Or IBAQ, with Qin the first emporer of China filling in the final spot.

See what I'm getting at?

You can keep the IBAC arconym if the character is powered by the undead spirits of the evil men who "power" him, rather than their physical capabilities in life.

For instance, Captain Marvel has the Speed of Mercury, but not his abilty to heal (the caduceus) or play the lyre.

oryan

I don't remember the "A". In fact, I know it wasn't on the placard on the wall. They were using the Captain Marvel footage of the foreign script changing into English, and originally, it had Solomon, Hercules, etc. With only the six elders in the original, when they switched in their own placard, they could only have six terms.

And I believe they actually said "Sh'Boom!" (Sh-boom, ya-da-da-da-de-da!)

Well, dog-gone-it, now I'm going to have to hunt up a copy of that movie and have a look! For the time being, though, I'll acknowledge the possibility of being wrong. :)

Matt "Never-said-I-was-perfect-especially-after-someone-calls-me-on-it" Frisbee

P.S. If by some miracle I'm right, however, you'll owe me a candy-coated, melts-in-your-mouth-not-in-your-hands No-Prize...