Shazam!

John Desmarais

I'm playing around with a Captain Marvel homage and I need a good magic word that's an anagram of his patron's initials. Anyone got any cool ideas?

Original Reference: Shazam

S
oloman (Wisdom)

H
ercules (Strength)

A
tals (Stamina)

Z
eus (Power)

A
chilles (Courage)

M
ercury (Speed)

I'm not too concerned about specific pantheons (after all, the original wasn't particularly consitant).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Shazam!

I'm playing around with a Captain Marvel homage and I need a good magic word that's an anagram of his patron's initials. Anyone got any cool ideas?
If you weren't stuck on gods, you could just go with the Mad Magazine (Wally Wood parody) version:

Strength

Health

Aptitude

Zeal

Ox, power of

Ox, power of another

Money!

But since you are going with gods, and trying to do it right, and since Captain Marvel and Black Adam have a good Egyptian thing going, why not use Egyptian gods?

I recommend (all my own work): SHAWHAMM!

Sobek (Strength - Sobek is the crocodile god.)

Horus(Courage - Horus is known for contending with Set, and for being wounded in that struggle but nevertheless ultimately winning. Also, Horus or "Heru" is the great enemy of the arch-demon Apophis.)

Amun (Wisdom - Amun is invisible, the hidden god, and at times he was seen as king of the gods. He is one of the Egyptian gods who would best represent wisdom.)

Wepwawet (Perceptiveness - Wepwawet was a wolf god and a war god, as he was seen as the scout for the army, the opener of the ways. This is not the kind of perceptiveness you can exercise at home with a crystal ball. You have go go out and explore.)

Heka (Magic - heka was magic, especially healing, medical magic, and Heka as a god was the personification of that.)

Anubis (Protection - Anubis was seen as protector of the spirits of the dead, among other things.)

Montu (Speed - there is a Montu roller-coaster in Florida, which in spirit is exactly right for this god.)

Ma'at (Justice - Ma'at is the goddess of truth, justice and harmony - pure Goodness in other words.)

A while back my Captain Incredible used "GAMIR!" as his magic word.

IIRC, it was something like:

Strength of Gilgamesh

Power of Anu

Wisdom of Marduk

Skill of Ishtar

Speed of Rammon

Those were the deities, but not sure of the exact properties supposedly gained from each.

Cool!

If you weren't stuck on gods, you could just go with the Mad Magazine (Wally Wood parody) version:

Strength

Health

Aptitude

Zeal

Ox, power of

Ox, power of another

Money!

But since you are going with gods, and trying to do it right, and since Captain Marvel and Black Adam have a good Egyptian thing going, why not use Egyptian gods?

I recommend (all my own work): SHAWHAMM!

Sobek (Strength - Sobek is the crocodile god.)

Horus(Courage - Horus is known for contending with Set, and for being wounded in that struggle but nevertheless ultimately winning. Also, Horus or "Heru" is the great enemy of the arch-demon Apophis.)

Amun (Wisdom - Amun is invisible, the hidden god, and at times he was seen as king of the gods. He is one of the Egyptian gods who would best represent wisdom.)

Wepwawet (Perceptiveness - Wepwawet was a wolf god and a war god, as he was seen as the scout for the army, the opener of the ways. This is not the kind of perceptiveness you can exercise at home with a crystal ball. You have go go out and explore.)

Heka (Magic - heka was magic, especially healing, medical magic, and Heka as a god was the personification of that.)

Anubis (Protection - Anubis was seen as protector of the spirits of the dead, among other things.)

Montu (Speed - there is a Montu roller-coaster in Florida, which in spirit is exactly right for this god.)

Ma'at (Justice - Ma'at is the goddess of truth, justice and harmony - pure Goodness in other words.)

Hmmm...

"Shawhamm!!"

I like the Egyptian theme - I'm not not sure I'd want to be the one screaming that at the start of combat. :P

Hmmm...

"Shawhamm!!"

I like the Egyptian theme - I'm not not sure I'd want to be the one screaming that at the start of combat. :P

I agree.

How about

AMSHIR!

Anubis (Protection)

Montu (Speed)

Sobek (Strength)

Heru/Horus (Courage)

Isis (Power)

Ra (Wisdom)

To me, this sounds more like a real ancient Egyptian word. (Think of Oded Fehrs character from The Mummy saying it)

Hmmm...

"Shawhamm!!"

But that's the point! You've got to be pretty Captain Marvel-ish to be a little kid and want to shout "SHAZAM!" at start of the combat too.

I was going to go with "SHABOOM!" originally, or "SHABLAM!", but there was a lack of appropriate Egyptian gods with the right first initial.

Oh well. Best to move on to another word that isn't equivalent to putting up a sign that says "Hit me!

How about

AMSHIR!

Anubis (Protection)

Montu (Speed)

Sobek (Strength)

Heru/Horus (Courage)

Isis (Power)

Ra (Wisdom)

To me, this sounds more like a real ancient Egyptian word. (Think of Oded Fehrs character from The Mummy saying it)

I like this word, and I have only two nits to pick.

First, Arnold Vosloo (Imhotep) was the coolest (male) actor in The Mummy (1999), and he's the one that speaks Egyptian, though alas as Imhotep he's evil. Oded Fehr's character is a Muslim speaking Arabic. (grin)

Second, I think Isis would better represent wisdom and Ra would better represent primal power in terms of the ancient myths. it wasn't originally Isis the creator and king and Re the clever magical plotter.

So:

Anubis (Protection)

Montu (Speed)

Sobek (Strength)

Horus (Courage)

Isis (Wisdom)

Ra (Power)

We shall have to agree to disagree on the Arnold Vosloo / Oded Fehr thing.

Close call, either way ;)

If you want to change who is who, feel free. In fact, I see your point.

I now have to figure out how to introduce this character into one of my games, now... :D

input.jack: "We shall have to agree to disagree on the Arnold Vosloo / Oded Fehr thing.

We shall.

input.jack: "Close call, either way"

They are both very cool.

input.jack: "If you want to change who is who, feel free. In fact, I see your point."

Thanks. (grin)

input.jack: "I now have to figure out how to introduce this character into one of my games, now..."

Yeah, we've both put good work in, and it's such a fun idea. (grin)

I just gotta throw this in: There's this movie called "J-Men Forever", and it has a character that's a parody on the Big Red Cheese.

"...All that's neccessary is for you to speak my code name. Then you will take on all the vices of a J-Man of the Secret Service.

S for SNEAKY

H for HATEFUL

B for BIGOTED

O for OBNOXIOUS

another O for double OBNOXIOUS

and M for MEAN..."

(I love that movie :o )