Borrowing your brains: Greek Gods in New Con

Hermit

Re: Borrowing your brains: Greek Gods in New Con

A lot of the gods had human children, (Theseus, Hercules, Perseus,) and some of those had children of their own. Some of these descendents could be throwbacks to Dad, blood sacrifices, or be uplifted to match up to demigod status.

CES

I didn't much like the alien Roman "gods" in Champions, but I would kind of like to see a confrontation between Mars and Ares. Contrary to popular opinion, Mars is not just Ares by another name. He was his own independantly developed Italian god long before the Romans fell under Greek religious influence. Primarily Mars was the god of young men. This made him the patron of soldiers because soldiers are mostly young men. It's similar the way that Athena gained a portfolio as a war goddess because she was primarily the goddess of skill mastery.

Speaking of Athena, isn't it obvious that her Earthly incarnation would be very much like Martha Stewart?

One idea I've had in my mind for a long time are including the muses as plot devices. Consider Clio, the muse of history. She's great for time travel plotlines. Urania, muse of astronomy is the go-to girl for locating alien invasion fleets. Melpomene, the muse of tragedy is useful for revealing bad guy motives. Polyhymnia, muse of faith, is good for when you need a miracle. I figure that in their human identities:

Clio (History): Is a history teacher, exposing her students to history in a very personal way.

Calliope (Epics): Works at a comic book company as an office worker, but all the writers like to visit her and go over plot ideas and plumb her amazing degree of knowledge of superheros and supervillains, so she gets very little official work done.

Thalia (Comedy): Owns a comedy club that every up and coming comedian wants to work because the audience is always so receptive, and the owner gives you pointers that always improve your act.

Melpomene (Tragedy): Victims of violent crimes counsellor

Erato (Romantic Poetry): Runs an unconventional matchmaking service.

Polyhymnia (Sacred Poetry): Assists various local religious leaders with their work, moving on once she's helped them invoke a miracle or two.

Terpsichore (Dance): Choreographer.

Urania (Astronomy): Acts as an assistant to a famous astronomer

I know I've missed one. Sneezy? Dopey?

Oooh, when the rest of that baby's extended family hears about this, what they do to the IHA will make the scene from Deliverance look like a Tea Party.

TB

Except that the spouse of the father was probably the one who sicced the IHA on the kid.

These have been some great ideas (love the plot seeds LL) and I'd like to thank you all. As per suggestions stated by some of you, I'm already thinking that there maybe one or two demi gods in the city who don't know their true nature but yet might have it awaken. WHICH gods sired them is still up in the air.

I'm also thinking that a few treasures of old Olympus maybe moldering in a mueseum somewhere.

Speaking of Athena' date=' isn't it obvious that her Earthly incarnation would be very much like Martha Stewart?[/quote']

Not sure about the personality - I think Athena might have less of a god complex. ;)

One idea I've had in my mind for a long time are including the muses as plot devices. Consider Clio, the muse of history. She's great for time travel plotlines. Urania, muse of astronomy is the go-to girl for locating alien invasion fleets. Melpomene, the muse of tragedy is useful for revealing bad guy motives. Polyhymnia, muse of faith, is good for when you need a miracle. I figure that in their human identities:

Clio (History): Is a history teacher, exposing her students to history in a very personal way.

Calliope (Epics): Works at a comic book company as an office worker, but all the writers like to visit her and go over plot ideas and plumb her amazing degree of knowledge of superheros and supervillains, so she gets very little official work done.

Thalia (Comedy): Owns a comedy club that every up and coming comedian wants to work because the audience is always so receptive, and the owner gives you pointers that always improve your act.

Melpomene (Tragedy): Victims of violent crimes counsellor

Erato (Romantic Poetry): Runs an unconventional matchmaking service.

Polyhymia (Sacred Poetry): Assists various local religious leaders with their work, moving on once she's helped them invoke a miracle or two.

Terpsichore (Dance): Choreographer.

Urania (Astronomy): Acts as an assistant to a famous astronomer

I know I've missed one. Sneezy? Dopey?

Excellent ideas! I'll have to owe your Rep for them, though. :(

I'm also thinking that a few treasures of old Olympus maybe moldering in a mueseum somewhere.

I've long wanted to work the adamantine sickle of Cronus into a game plotline. AFAICT there's no further mention of the sickle in legend after Cronus used it to castrate his father Uranus. I always figured that Cronus would have wielded it in battle against Zeus, but it might have been lost after Zeus overthrew him.

Since Cronus is often depicted as an agricultural deity, and the sickle was given to him by Gaia, IMO it would be reasonable for it to have powers over elemental earth and plantlife, as well as being a nearly-irresistable cutting weapon.

This underscores how deeply complex the Greek Gods (or any Gods' date=' really) are. Everyone knows Hades is God of the underworld, but how many associate Him with wealth? [b']Everyone knows Posiedon is the Sea God, but how many know He is also Earthshaker, God of earthquakes? [/b]

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests calling on Thalia for a few laughs....

At least he's not known as the "Rumpshaker" that would be...unpleasant.

Pythagoras

okay here's a metahuman, son of Hera and a normal man.

it was a magic love spell that led to such a union, Hera would

never ever cheat on Zeus.

Zeus thinks its hilarious, refers to PJ as "thats my boy"

and loves it, cuz Hera can never ever mention his past infidelities

ever again.

Character is hassled in a friendly way by Zeus

and watched in a motherly way by Hera.

divine heritage gives him his powers

Pythagoras

okay here's a metahuman, son of Hera and a normal man.

it was a magic love spell that led to such a union, Hera would

never ever cheat on Zeus.

Zeus thinks its hilarious, refers to PJ as "thats my boy"

and loves it, cuz Hera can never ever mention his past infidelities

ever again.

Character is hassled in a friendly way by Zeus

and watched in a motherly way by Hera.

divine heritage gives him his powers

I love this... PJ... HAH! :D

I love this... PJ... HAH! :D

thank you. it has been a fun player + character to GM for.

Zeus shows up, Hera has shown up twice. (3)

Ares has been worked in, and of course Hercules (I'm GMin a Marvel Universe)

part of the back ground of the campaign is "theft of mojo"

which means stealing essence from divine or cosmic beings,

so its been a major pain to the team.

the 3 up there refers to one battle where Hera had been summoned,

unknown to any PC, and the team mage set up a Teleport block.

She was miffed when her bamf only piffed !