What was that? Elvis weapon in LOTR movie.

Herolover

Re: What was that? Elves weapon in LOTR movie.

Originally posted by Herolover

At the beginning of the first LOTR movie the Elves use some kind of staff, sword weapon. What was it and how would you make it up?

According to the Topic name of this thread. What was that "Elvis" weapon.

I think its the Guitar of Blue Shade. They give the wielder +3 to OCV rolls, +1d6N to attacks and +1d6N vs. dark races.

Re: Just Found This

Originally posted by C_Zeree

Check out the falx, bout middle of the page. Tetsubo put a strange kink in it, but it is close to the sword. Also. Plus Tetsubo does great weapon illustrations.

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?threadid=29655&perpage=40&pagenumber=14

Thank you. I looked forever to find an image of a falx earlier. The kink does look a bit odd, but I have no doubt that there probably was one with something like that. Most pre-industrial weapons did have a great deal of variations on a basic form.

• 8 months later...

Re: What was that? Elvis weapon in LOTR movie.

I know Tolkien said goblins and orcs preffered curved blades, but after seeign the movies, I am heavily inclined to adopt the simple cleaver aspect for them from now on. Basically it boils down for me to skill/time for crafting. A curved blade is harder to craft well, and takes more time and effort from the smith. A simple chopper is quicker to forge, and requires little effort. Much closer to the mindset of most goblins and orcs.

Being that orcs are twisted elves, I would however still allow for that rare twisted/fallen sindar to still partake of his now twisted love of the forgecraft, and have a few, 'prized' curved, wickedly pointed/unusual blades be in the hands of those orcs strong enough to keep such a prize. This still helps keep them the 'favored' weapons of the goblinoids, but also helps maintain a higher level of 'suspension of disbelief' for me, and hopefully my players!

• 4 years later...

The High Elven sword is one unique looking weapon. I´ve been looking for the replica a couple years back with no luck. :thumbdown ----I guess they were discontinued but according to this site (RealmCollections) you can pre-order one for this summer.

The direct link to the sword is:http://www.realmcollections.com/p2221/high-elven-warrior-display-sword.html

I know Tolkien said goblins and orcs preffered curved blades, but after seeign the movies, I am heavily inclined to adopt the simple cleaver aspect for them from now on. Basically it boils down for me to skill/time for crafting. A curved blade is harder to craft well, and takes more time and effort from the smith. A simple chopper is quicker to forge, and requires little effort. Much closer to the mindset of most goblins and orcs.

Being that orcs are twisted elves, I would however still allow for that rare twisted/fallen sindar to still partake of his now twisted love of the forgecraft, and have a few, 'prized' curved, wickedly pointed/unusual blades be in the hands of those orcs strong enough to keep such a prize. This still helps keep them the 'favored' weapons of the goblinoids, but also helps maintain a higher level of 'suspension of disbelief' for me, and hopefully my players!

I haven't seen the movies in a while, but I think it was Saruman's Uruk-hai that used the cleaver like straight swords. I'm pretty sure their's were the swords being forged in the movies. I'll have to go back to check to see if regular orcs appear to prefer curved blades.

Those Elven weapons are like a falx in reverse - the falx curves forward (the joys of pull-cutting and using the point like a pick), whereas the Elven weapons curve backwards; the nearest 'real-world' weapon I have seen to them (though nowhere near as flamboyant in style) was in the Osprey book 'Medieval Chinese Armies 1260-1520' (Men-at-Arms Series 251, bottom of page 7, second weapon from the right).

key term: similar.

Key information: they were bronze.

I have this idea that giving people information they didn't have previously may actually be helpful. But hey, if you want to take every comment as some kind of personal attack, that certainly isn't my problem.

Key information: they were bronze.

I have this idea that giving people information they didn't have previously may actually be helpful. But hey, if you want to take every comment as some kind of personal attack, that certainly isn't my problem.

So you're saying they aren't similar?

So you're saying they aren't similar?

Incorrect. That isn't what I'm saying at all. Similarity is not an issue, not what I was talking about, nor is it even relevant to the conversation at all. However, thank you for taking part in this thread anyway :)

Perhaps I should be more concise to avoid confusion:-

The Egyptian ancient swords were similar to the image posted earlier, except they are bronze.

Does that help?

What I mean is - for those who didn't know - the way the image differs from actual Egyptian swords is in the metal that they are made of. The Egyptian swords were made of bronze, the one in the image is not. So in all aspects other than the material of their creation, they are similar.

Will a moderator please correct the title of this thread?

Every time I see it I have an urge to pull out a LOTR dvd and look for blue suede shoes! :D

I was seriously considering building "Blue Suede Shoes" in HERO Designer as a magic "Elvis" weapon and posting it to this thread - before I came over all dull and sensible...:)

It's very similar to the Greek Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia.jpg

image027.jpg

Interestingly enough, a similar weapon appears in some 13th century illuminated manuscripts, most notably, the Maciejowski Bible, which is notable for its very accurate depictions of clothing, armour, military hardware, etc.

otm10va&b.gif

(The figure near the center, wearing the brown surcote, wielding the weapon two-handed.)

My attempts at finding a proper name for the weapon have never borne fruit. I do find it interesting to note that in medieval French, the word 'glaive' seems to have been used interchangeably to describe a pole arm or a sword.

It's very similar to the Greek Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia.jpg

image027.jpg

Interestingly enough, a similar weapon appears in some 13th century illuminated manuscripts, most notably, the Maciejowski Bible, which is notable for its very accurate depictions of clothing, armour, military hardware, etc.

otm10va&b.gif

(The figure near the center, wearing the brown surcote, wielding the weapon two-handed.)

My attempts at finding a proper name for the weapon have never borne fruit. I do find it interesting to note that in medieval French, the word 'glaive' seems to have been used interchangeably to describe a pole arm or a sword.

Nice find Theron - that cool Maciejowski Bible picture, which reminded me of a weapon that I should have remembered earlier - the faus or faussal (to use the French names - oddly enough, derived from the Latin falx [odd, that...;)]).

It was like the weapon the mounted character in the brown surcoat is using, but usually looking even more crude (a wider blade to make up for the inferior steel) and used by infantry.

There is an line drawing of a figure using one of these weapons in Armies of Feudal Europe 1066-1300 (by Ian Heath, published Wargames Research Group), page 85, figure 28, apparently also based on an illustration in the Maciejowski Bible (sometimes the weapon is depicted with a grip shaped like an umbrella handle).

A very similar weapon, whose 'native' name I do not know, was used in Spain during the same period.

I know that one well. Spathologists call it a form of Falchion, which makes sense given the French name. Not sure what it was called in Spanish; I'm out of the loop with swordplay re-enactors these days, and my expert on things Spanish is out in California now.

There used to be a great website for a group in England called c.1265 that had a photograph of a fellow carrying a reproduction of the longer pole-sword-whatever, but the site's been down for a couple of years now. :(