What was that? Elvis weapon in LOTR movie.

Herolover

Guest joen00b

It looked like a small pole arm, right? In reality, Shaka Zulu made a weapon similar to this rather popular, it had a short sword blade attached to a small (3-4') pole or staff. I forget the actual name for this. Use Polearm rules with shortened reach on the weapons, that should give you a good template to create it from, the weapon only being 5' or so in length, 3' being staff, 2' being blade.

If I had my book at work, I'd assist you more...

The chinese had a variety of weapons built around the same principle such as the beloved "Bandit-encampment Sword" - basically a swordblade on a short stick.

Not really suprising, since the Chinese tried pretty much every combination of blade and handle one could reasonably use without losing too many fingers in the process.

I'd give it the same damage as a bastard Sword (1 1/2 d6 HKA) and class it as two-handed which would drop the STR MIN down a bit: about right for those skinny elves :-)

cheers, Mark

OK I found some references. It was the Dacian Falx.

Time Period: 1st or 2nd century B.C. - 1st or 2nd century A.D.

Origin: Dacia

Description: Sword consisting of a curved, single-edged blade with a long wooden hilt. It has been described as a scythe.

Use: Used by Celts and Germanic tribes as a slashing weapon; used with two hands. It was very effective and feared by opposing soldiers.

Notes: The Roman Manica (Segmented Arm Guard) was developed to defend against the weapon.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a picture online.

The chinese weapon is the kwan do, though a quick search also called something similar a chinese two handed sword. The weapon is about five to six feet long and half is a large nasty looking blade, and the other half is a long handle ending a ring.

http://www.takwah.com/weapons/

Guess its similar to a bastard sword as far as strength, but not something that could probably be used a single handed weapon.

Guest C_Zeree

I spent so long trying to look this weapon up when the first movie came out. I was so enamored with it, but my searching was futile.

At first I thought they were using something similar to this blade.

http://www.mwart.com/product.asp?pid=1030&cat=30&subcat=Y

However the hilt they have is much longer.

As I have not seen pictures of any of the other weapons described, I still think it is closest to the nagamaki, or the double hand sword. The chinese sword is far to large though, the elven blade was thin like that of a kitana.

First. Thanks for everyone that has answered my question. Or tried to. This will teach everyone not type late at night.

I figured it was a special weapon used with the martial art: Rock and Roll singing;)

Actually, I just thought what I saw of the weapon was cool and since I am going to be starting a new fantasy campaign...

Well, they do in fact have a drawing of the weapon I think your talking about in The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring. They also have a photo in The Fellowship of the Ring Visual Companion of an elven army with these weapons.

I've scanned them in, but they're huge. I'll email them to you, if you want. I have a high-speed connection; it'll handle it.

I would say these weapons are just curved swords which the designers of LOTR wanted to look "inhuman" for the elves to carry. They seem to be used more like short two-handed swords than like pole arms. (Perversely, the producers of LOTR gave the goblins straight meat cleaver-like swords, when JRR Tolkein stated they prefered curved blades such as scimitars. Go figure.)

The Zulu weapon is called an "assegai," and they were basically used as thrusting swords, although there was enough blade to slash with as well. They were an obvious development for a warrior culture with a limited amount of steel available but plenty of wood for hafts.

Originally posted by C_Zeree

I spent so long trying to look this weapon up when the first movie came out. I was so enamored with it, but my searching was futile.

At first I thought they were using something similar to this blade.

http://www.mwart.com/product.asp?pid=1030&cat=30&subcat=Y

That's really pretty. Getting one of those for my birthday would make me one happy dude.

If you're just looking for stats I would give them the same as a bastard sword.

I think that sword would qualify as a saber or a scimitar. By the way, if you do purchase it, don't use it for test cutting. Chances are, it's made of stainless steel, which means it's brittle. Also the tang (the inside of a sword's handle) is of "rat-tail construction" rather than being a full tang. That means it's unbalanced and weak. Play with that sword for a while, and you'll have a very expensive peace of junk.

When I saw Lord of the Rings and those Elven blades, I giggled as I had been wanting to create something like that for a while. My original idea was to be able to draw a regular katana from its sheath, then be able to attach the sword hilt to the sheath and make a mini-naginata.

I took a similar design and made a LARP weapon for my Dark Elf character. It is basically a sword blade on a 3 foot stick. ;)

Originally posted by tkdguy

I think that sword would qualify as a saber or a scimitar. By the way, if you do purchase it, don't use it for test cutting. Chances are, it's made of stainless steel, which means it's brittle. Also the tang (the inside of a sword's handle) is of "rat-tail construction" rather than being a full tang. That means it's unbalanced and weak. Play with that sword for a while, and you'll have a very expensive peace of junk.

That's why you get and use this one instead. It's listed under functtional and it does have a full tang.

http://www.mwart.com/product.asp?pid=913&cat=41&subcat=Y

>>>well, at 4 pounds, the "warbrand" is heavier than most real bastard swords.<<<

Ahhh, such confidence :-)

Having spent some time recently at the royal military museum here in Copenhagen, hefting the *real* things, I should point out that the modern replicas made for cutting tameshigiri have significantly lighter blades and hilts than (some, at least) real made-for-killing-armoured-folks blades.

There is, of course a great deal of variation in the "real thing".

4 pounds is at the heavy end of the scale, but it is not completely unreasonable.

cheers, Mark

4 pounds is a bit heavy for a sword, considering rapiers and long swords (broad sword is a misnomer; it actually refers to a naval sword in later times) weigh at 3 pounds. Not significantly heavy at first, but when you've been swinging it for a while, you will feel it.

When I do kumdo, I use a sword that is heavier than the other swords. Trust me, I feel it after a while.

Still, it's rare to find a sword that's both full tang and made of high carbon steel. Just don't get into any swordfights unless you're immortal.

I did say "most" :)

Sure real blades varied a lot, but...

Originally posted by Markdoc

>>>well, at 4 pounds, the "warbrand" is heavier than most real bastard swords.<<<

Ahhh, such confidence :-)

Having spent some time recently at the royal military museum here in Copenhagen, hefting the *real* things, I should point out that the modern replicas made for cutting tameshigiri have significantly lighter blades and hilts than (some, at least) real made-for-killing-armoured-folks blades.

There is, of course a great deal of variation in the "real thing".

4 pounds is at the heavy end of the scale, but it is not completely unreasonable.

cheers, Mark