"I teleport the criminal's gun out of his hand"...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: "I teleport the criminal's gun out of his hand"...

How do you do this? It's kinda like grabbing a focus, except with teleportation: UAA.

-Nate

You just answered your own question. :) Apply a penalty to hit as per normal targeting of foci, if it's a small foci, perhaps an additional penalty.

Optionally, you might want to require a Power skill roll in addition.

I'd allow you to perform a standard Grab maneuver on a weapon or item with UAA Teleport. Maybe even at range if the UAA TP had the Ranged Advantage. I'd use the Base Points of the Teleport to calculate the amount of Str to use for the Grab (like Ranged Disarms in UMA use the DCs of the attack, I'd say each 3" of TP equates to 5 Str since 3" of TP is 6 Base Points). Not a lot different from doing it with TK or Stretching, I'd say.

I'd allow you to perform a standard Grab maneuver on a weapon or item with UAA Teleport. Maybe even at range if the UAA TP had the Ranged Advantage. I'd use the Base Points of the Teleport to calculate the amount of Str to use for the Grab (like Ranged Disarms in UMA use the DCs of the attack' date=' I'd say each 3" of TP equates to 5 Str). Not a lot different from doing it with TK or Stretching, I'd say.[/quote']

Ahh, that's what I was looking for. That's a cool idea.

-Nate

I wouldn't require any form of opposed STR check. You don't get to use STR to resist Flight UAA. The object isn't grabbed - it's Teleported.
I agree, especially if the SFX is literally Teleport UAA (as opposed to just using Teleport UAA to simulate some other effect).

I'd allow you to perform a standard Grab maneuver on a weapon or item with UAA Teleport. Maybe even at range if the UAA TP had the Ranged Advantage. I'd use the Base Points of the Teleport to calculate the amount of Str to use for the Grab (like Ranged Disarms in UMA use the DCs of the attack' date=' I'd say each 3" of TP equates to 5 Str since 3" of TP is 6 Base Points). Not a lot different from doing it with TK or Stretching, I'd say.[/quote']

Nice build, rep for you.

How do you do this? It's kinda like grabbing a focus, except with teleportation: UAA.

-Nate

No Str check... that goes against the whole concept. There should be a defense, and it seems like the body of the foci would be more of a factor than how tight someone could hold a gun you are going to teleport. I don't have my book w/ me to go over UAA, but I'd look at the Transformation power to estimate cost and defense. Mechanically, transformation (limited option) works great, the sfx doesn't seem to fit though.

Yep. I was going to say: "TK, only for grabbing foci/objects, SFX: Object teleports." If this gets to be a problem, for example if the player is teleporting small objects when he really shouldn't be, make him link a few points of TP to the TK.

Alternately, you could do this with TP, UAA, and a Power Tricks skill roll. Apply a modifier equal to the range, and size, penalty for the DCV of the object to the skill roll, and let 'er rip.

Since this method doesn't require a STR roll, I'd consider this an NND form of Grab, and require a few SFX that'll block the TP completely. Force Wall is good, Desolid works for for me, and maybe some form of "High Energy Field" to give the GM some flexibility giving the villains a defense.

My two Super Credits.

I do think a Str contest should apply, even with Teleport. Otherwise it circumvents a large part of the system and becomes abusive (if you want to affect a whole character, you simply attack; if you want to take their Focus away, that involves some kind of Str contest--at least if they are holding it). If you want it to function incredibly well, buy up, "extra Str," for the ability (if using my suggestion, you would buy extra hexes of Teleport, possibly with a Limitation like, "Only for Grabbing Weapons," or, "Only for Extra Str in Grab Contests").

EDIT: Oh, although the first time this power is used, it might very well surprise the target, allowing them to use only their Casual Str as in surprise Disarms and such.

EDIT #2: Actually I see targets only get their Casual Str when you Grab a weapon anyway (until they get a Phase, just like a normal Grab), unlike the Disarm rules. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I do think a Str contest should apply' date=' even with Teleport. Otherwise it circumvents a large part of the system and becomes abusive (if you want to affect a whole character, you simply attack; if you want to take their Focus away, that involves some kind of Str contest--at least if they are holding it). If you want it to function incredibly well, buy up, "extra Str," for the ability (if using my suggestion, you would buy extra hexes of Teleport, possibly with a Limitation like, "Only for Grabbing Weapons," or, "Only for Extra Str in Grab Contests").[/quote']

I agree that the ability to Teleport a target's focus away could be highly abusive, and I would certainly consider whether I wanted such a power in the game. Teleport UAA is a potentially highly abusive power overall, however. It makes no sense to say that Grond is any better at holding on to an object and preventing it being teleported away than Aunt May is, however. The strength of the person holding the object makes no difference to the ability to teleport it.

I would disallow the power if I felt it would be unbalancing, not create rules to make it harder to work (unless the rule were built in to a limitation on the power itself).

Now if the build is intended to reflect a "grab and take away" maneuver, an appropriate defense against that UAA teleport would certainly include "Holder wins a STR contest".

I agree that the ability to Teleport a target's focus away could be highly abusive' date=' and I would certainly consider whether I wanted such a power in the game. Teleport UAA is a potentially highly abusive power overall, however. It makes no sense to say that Grond is any better at holding on to an object and preventing it being teleported away than Aunt May is, however. The strength of the person holding the object makes no difference to the ability to teleport it. [/quote']

Ditto. I also can't see how STR would figure into the SFX of this. The fact is that this really is very abusive, and probably should be disallowed, or given much reduced range (certainly not LOS) and maybe some inherent skill penalties. Was gonna add: maybe no range is the answer: make a grab, then make a Power Tricks roll to TP aways with the object.

Too bad too because SFX-wise it's a pretty basic idea.

I do think a Str contest should apply, even with Teleport. Otherwise it circumvents a large part of the system and becomes abusive (if you want to affect a whole character, you simply attack; if you want to take their Focus away, that involves some kind of Str contest--at least if they are holding it). If you want it to function incredibly well, buy up, "extra Str," for the ability (if using my suggestion, you would buy extra hexes of Teleport, possibly with a Limitation like, "Only for Grabbing Weapons," or, "Only for Extra Str in Grab Contests").

EDIT: Oh, although the first time this power is used, it might very well surprise the target, allowing them to use only their Casual Str as in surprise Disarms and such.

EDIT #2: Actually I see targets only get their Casual Str when you Grab a weapon anyway (until they get a Phase, just like a normal Grab), unlike the Disarm rules. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

It doesn't make any logical sense that a Star Trek Transporter Beam could be counteracted by someone's STR. Hence: Teleport UAA ignores that.

Teleport does specifically circumvent that aspect of things - and as Hugh pointed out the very construct itself is dangerous.

Why doesn't it make sense? Perhaps it has to be wrenched out of their grasp in a sense in order to be teleported without them. The cited example of Star Trek transporters actually makes perfect sense for this, as we have seen prolific examples of people being transported just by grabbing on to someone who is being transported directly. :)

If a character was Grabbed' date=' and they wanted to use their Teleport to escape the Grab, would you make them succeed with a STR vs. STR contest? If not, then why should it be any different if it's an object that's Grabbed?[/quote']

The object isn't Grabbed. The object is held. There is no mechanical need in the system to Grab your own equipment (or rather, I should say, "equipment you already possess;" it doesn't matter so much who owns it :) ).

Personally, I'm in the "dangerous power, but it shouldn't require a STR roll" camp. I'd suggest, however, requiring that the character (a) target the item as though it had an appropriate number of Shrinking levels and (B) the character to have enough Teleport inches to reach from them to the target. That'll keep somebody from buying 1" TP, UAA, and "tele-pantsing" Doctor Destroyer or flipping other foci out of hands at LoS ranges. Definitely include range penalties too.

The object isn't Grabbed. The object is held.
I submit that this is a purely semantic distinction. :)

It seems clear-cut to me. If no STR contest is needed for a character to Teleport out of a Grab or Entangle, then it doesn't make any sense to me to require it for a Teleport UAA directed at something else (whether a character or an object).

...target the item as though it had an appropriate number of Shrinking levels and....

UMA suggests a -6 (equivalent to targetting the hand) for targetting most weapons with a ranged Disarm, though it also says smaller penalties might be appropriate for large weapons.

I submit that this is a purely semantic distinction. :)

It seems clear-cut to me. If no STR contest is needed for a character to Teleport out of a Grab or Entangle, then it doesn't make any sense to me to require it for a Teleport UAA directed at something else (whether a character or an object).

And to me it is a mechanical and balance issue, not one of SFX. This is not an attempt for one character to escape, it is an attempt to wrest away another's weapon (or other item). :)

I'm in the camp of it doesn't require a STR vs STR Roll to use Teleport UAA to 'port away someone's Accessible Foci. But I do believe that the standard "Grab a Focus" penalty of -2 shouldn't apply either. Instead this penalty should be based on the target's actual size. A pistol will be harder to 'port away than a rifle for example, and both would have a penalty higher than -2. In my experience (I've GMed a game where a character had this ability and used it this way) this tends to balance things out enough to keep this use of Teleport UAA from being abusive.

And to me it is a mechanical and balance issue' date=' not one of SFX. This is not an attempt for one character to escape, it is an attempt to wrest away another's weapon (or other item). :)[/quote']

The thing is ... there's no wresting involved. It's *poof*poof*"Got yer gun!"

Admittedly, a dangerous build, but I wouldn't call it game-breaking. For instance, in 99 percent of cases I can think of, the Focus's holder having any of the defenses against the UAA Teleport would foil the attempt just as if teleporting him, on the basis of the fact that the gun would have to 'pass through' his hand on its path, and since the hand has the power that blocks teleportation, the gun can't leave it. There's also the difficulty of hitting the target (as above).

And even beyond that ... how many villains (or characters in general) do you run into who rely solely on an OAF for their offense or defense? Agents with blasters and a small handful of lesser lights like Blowtorch. The TP UAA 'disarm' move is basically a quick way to demoralize a mugger. :)