What to do with your stuff...

azato

Re: What to do with your stuff...

It makes sense, and almost all of my frustrations with these players seems to reinforce the theory that that's what kind of gaming background they're coming from. I've been setting up a lot of scenarios that show them the world isn't out to kill them, and have been watching them visibly relax and enjoy the game and roleplaying stuff out more. That's not to say that I wouldn't allow a character death for doing something stupid or self-sacrificing, but I'm not setting them up to fail or be poor and stuff-less.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My adventurers leave their stuff locked in their rooms. It's not an odd occurance for them to have the wizard cast an invisibility spell on their stuff if they are particularily worried for one reason or another. I personally was in a position where I had to leave my stuff in a place I didn't want to so I publicly cast a little dancing light type spell on my gear along with a successful persuasion check. Since I was in an area with people who knew nothing about magic I convinced them that death would take them if they touched the gear. My gear was the only pile left untouched.

this is eventually' date=' AFAIK, where we get name for the modern snipers Ghillie suit[/quote']

Historical nitpick: a gamekeeper in Scotland is referred to as a Ghillie (both come from the scots gaelic "gille" originally meaning "boy" or "lad", ogviously). It's the gamekeepers who gave us the Ghillie suit - originally used for stalking game and/or poachers. :D

cheers, Mark

Kinda difficult to make satisfactory nookie though Armor 8 over the Vitals' date=' which is about the only occasion I've seen one of said types acknowledge any need to remove the armor. :rolleyes:[/size']

Your players obviously haven't seen Boorman's Excalibur then!

cheers, Mark

And there is a rational basis for not making your PCs paranoid. If your fantasy setting is intended to be at least somewhat based on a quasi-historical model' date=' most villages that the adventurers will be staying in shouldn't have the crime rate that 21st century cities do.[/quote']

Oh, exactly. I've made it a point that, in the world I'm running, 95% of the people are honest and trustworthy. It takes a bit of insanity to want to be a bad guy. Heck, even the dragons are pretty reasonable.

Consider where the real knights and nobles stored their stuff while traveling -- at the local noble's place. If you've place your armor in its oiled bags, and then boxed the bags, the chest has to go somewhere, right? And if you're of rank, you should be able to stay at the local muckitymuck's place, right? And you can leave it there, knowing that honor will keep it safe, right?

Of course, of you're a lone traveler, you might want to try something else -- like storing your gear at the stables, or at the local fighter's hall, church, or other place of presumed honesty and fair dealing. Leaving it in the room at the inn isn't a good idea.

Historical nitpick: a gamekeeper in Scotland is referred to as a Ghillie (both come from the scots gaelic "gille" originally meaning "boy" or "lad", ogviously). It's the gamekeepers who gave us the Ghillie suit - originally used for stalking game and/or poachers. :D

cheers, Mark

So now I know :D

No worries about the picking of nits...

The nature of my studies of Gaelic culture are a bit, ahem, front loaded.

I know a whole lot of the history of the region, but the closer you get to modern day, the more holes there are in my knowledge.

Oh' date=' exactly. I've made it a point that, in the world I'm running, 95% of the people are honest and trustworthy. It takes a bit of insanity to want to be a bad guy. Heck, even the dragons are pretty reasonable.[/quote']

Makes sense.

Even if some scruffy stablehand really covets your adventuring gear, in a town of mideval proportions, most of the residents will know each other, and the oportunities for unloading stolen goods without getting caught are gonna be slim. With punishments for theft ranging from branding to losing a hand all the way to losing your head, the allure of easy money isn't really there.

One of the reason gypsies, actors, tinkers and other perpetual travellers weren't trusted.

If you find stuff looted from your room, go to the local Shire Reeve. He, in short order,will probably come up with the culprit... all he has to do is see who took to the hills.

Makes sense.

Even if some scruffy stablehand really covets your adventuring gear, in a town of mideval proportions, most of the residents will know each other, and the oportunities for unloading stolen goods without getting caught are gonna be slim. With punishments for theft ranging from branding to losing a hand all the way to losing your head, the allure of easy money isn't really there.

Also, many places in the middle ages, an entire village was responsible for the crimes of every member. When a whole village can be fined to ruin, whipped, etc., for one "scruffy stablehand," that stablehand's theft will be reported IMMEDIATELY by every villager who finds out about it.

The best way to protect your stuff is to buy an entire house. Then get trustworthy guards, and do your adventuring in the local area. ;)

Unless well known in a town' date=' our adventures would fall into this camp.[/quote']

Probably ;)

This is a good reason for blowing points on things like Reputations and various status, membership or rank perks.

Dropping 2 points on a Slayers Brotherhood membership suddenly becomes a much better deal when you realize that guild membership also buys you a certain amount of respect, not to ention the occasional guild hall where you can safely stash your schwag and probably rustle up the odd job.

Our prosperous adventurer doesn't have an ever-faithful but garrulous manservant?

Follower: ever faithful but garrulous manservant - 5 Points.

Also a source of useful skills like: valet, sewing, laundering, cooking, accounting, bartering, appraising, and eavesdropping. Eidecit memory and absolute time sense turns them into the ultimate personal secretary.

Everyone needs one, and they have a personality to boot...

Alternately one could always adopt the Conan method' date=' which is to lose, spend, squander, or gamble away all the proceeds from each adventuring session until he was left with nothing but a sword, and perhaps a horse.[/quote']

My preferred method!

Our prosperous adventurer doesn't have an ever-faithful but garrulous manservant?

In our current game, one of the *players* has taken on this role, making things even easier. Her character even sleeps in the stables to keep an eye on the mounts and extraneous gear.

cheers, Mark

Alternately one could always adopt the Conan method' date=' which is to lose, spend, squander, or gamble away all the proceeds from each adventuring session until he was left with nothing but a sword, and perhaps a horse.[/quote']

I prefer the other Conan method.

The one where you become king. :)

No need to worry about where to put your stuff, when your "stuff" is the entire flippin' kingdom. :D:winkgrin::eg::thumbup:

Pardon the diversion' date=' but I've often wondered what it would be like to run an alien invasion scenario in a Fantasy setting. :D[/quote']

Depends on the setting... Zelazny's Changling had what amounted to such a thing, as does the film Wizards, if you consider "alien" to indicate "technology." I know that in some D&D games, the aliens would be in a heap of trouble, as high-level spells would destroy their ships and vehicles with ease.

Hmm... there's some SF stories of Roman legions and the like used as shock troops in alien wars, as well as at least one Berserker versus a middle ages technology world. Can't recall titles, though.