What to do with your stuff...

azato

Re: What to do with your stuff...

Hmm... there's some SF stories of Roman legions and the like used as shock troops in alien wars, as well as at least one Berserker versus a middle ages technology world. Can't recall titles, though.

I think David Drake did some of the Roman legion ones. Probably Harry Turtledove, too. I haven't read any of them.

One of the Berserker ones is the novel "Berserker's Planet". There's a short story involving time travel to a middle ages time, called "Brother Berserker". I recall another one where a shepherd on some world that had regressed to the dark ages stumbles across a planetary defense bunker just in time to activate it and unknowingly destroy a berserker. I think it had "wolf" in the title.

Doh, that same book that had "Brother Berserker" also has one where a berserker time travels back to a viking-like era. Don't recall the name of that one though.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, the Powerful Archmage that I (think I) am, don't need to worry about where I put my junk. cuz I booby trap it so throughly that is anybody so much as touches it they'll spend the rest of eternity as [insert Powerful Demon Lord Name]'s B***H.

But because I'm somewhat inadept I occasionally fail so bad that I don't even know I failed. thussly I've learned not to worry about it. if the bastard was stupid to risk a mages Ire by stealing his magic junk he probably needed it more then me anyway!

Pardon the diversion' date=' but I've often wondered what it would be like to run an alien invasion scenario in a Fantasy setting. :D[/quote']

Quite fun-

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35695

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32084

http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/WS:Index

Alternately one could always adopt the Conan method' date=' which is to lose, spend, squander, or gamble away all the proceeds from each adventuring session until he was left with nothing but a sword, and perhaps a horse.[/quote']

There's a t-shirt I have with a picture of a very happy dwarf and the words "I spent my reward on ALE and WHORES!".

Most fantasy campaigns I am in have Bags of Holding of some sort. If my character wants to walk about town, he can do so with his stuff on him.

It is also understood in these campaings that adventurers are a common enough sight that people just walk down the streets wearing armor and weapons all the time. "An armed society is a polite society."

Most fantasy campaigns I am in have Bags of Holding of some sort. If my character wants to walk about town' date=' he can do so with his stuff on him.[/quote']

Of course, the difficulty with that approach is that somebody only has to grab / lift / steal the one bag to get EVERYTHING...

Krull :D

Wow, a blast from the past. I have not seen that since it first went to cable. That must have been around 1985. I remember it seemed so cool then. Has anybody viewed it recently? Is it, now that we are older, a campy goofy movie?

It seemed like a campy' date=' goofy movie to me when it was in the theaters.[/quote']

Obviously, although younger, you possessed a greater level of maturity than I did :rolleyes: - CUZ I THOUGHT IT WAS COOL! :rockon:

I also remember, at an much younger age (around 8 or 9), ads for the movie INFRA-MAN. The ads looks so great. I would pretend I was inframan and do all sorts of pretend stuff. I picked the movie up at a rental store when I was in my 20's. Wow, was it bad. Bad, Bad. So bad it was awful. It may Power Rangers look cerebral! I wish I had never seen it. I think I will leave Krull off the list of movies "I liked when I was a kid but have seen as an adult."

Or maybe they strap the bare steel to their body?

Kaja carries his staff with him everywhere he goes, sometimes on his back. It has Invisibility and Clinging, so this typically won't be noticed (though, if he does have to leave it behind somewhere, it can be hidden pretty well).

When my munchiny player announced he slept in his armor' date=' I wasn't quite sure how to explain the headaches his character was waking up with.[/quote']

In addition to headaches, there's the general soreness and aches that come from not being able to stretch out properly while asleep. If you want to be nice, let him wake up in the morning once before you spring a nighttime attack. Once he realizes how long it takes him to get moving and work out all the tight spots, and how slow he is until then, he should realize the wisdom of sleeping "comfortably" at night. Of course, if you want to teach him a lasting lesson, you could always "roll" a nocturnal encounter and let his body punish him appropriately for trying to move rapidly all of a sudden.

In addition to headaches' date=' there's the general soreness and aches that come from not being able to stretch out properly while asleep. If you want to be nice, let him wake up in the morning once before you spring a nighttime attack. Once he realizes how long it takes him to get moving and work out all the tight spots, and how slow he is until then, he should realize the wisdom of sleeping "comfortably" at night. Of course, if you want to teach him a [i']lasting[/i] lesson, you could always "roll" a nocturnal encounter and let his body punish him appropriately for trying to move rapidly all of a sudden.

Heh. Indeed.

I'm still easing into the role of GM, so I just gave him a rather odd look, made it obvious that doing so was an overreaction, and he's since changed characters to someone less paranoid.

We are pleased with these results. ^ v ^

In addition to headaches' date=' there's the general soreness and aches that come from not being able to stretch out properly while asleep. If you want to be nice, let him wake up in the morning once before you spring a nighttime attack. Once he realizes how long it takes him to get moving and work out all the tight spots, and how slow he is until then, he should realize the wisdom of sleeping "comfortably" at night. Of course, if you want to teach him a [i']lasting[/i] lesson, you could always "roll" a nocturnal encounter and let his body punish him appropriately for trying to move rapidly all of a sudden.

*holds up a finger*

Ah, for the sake of discussion, I'd like to point out that I have slept in a couple of different types of armor. Flexible armor really isn't that bad to sleep in... I've slept quite comfortably for 4 hours or so (a not uncommon sleep shift if taking watches) wearing a 35 pound mail hauberk, with heavy fleece padding, ringmail bracers, and a heavy mail-on-bullhide gorget. Overheating is potentially the big issue, more so than sore muscles. I had a couple of stiff spots when I woke up... but frankly, I always wake up with stiff spots the day after fighting... it goes with the territory.

Plate, on the other hand, and similar rigid armors are harder to rest in, but still not impossible. A well made harness allows enough range of body motion that you can often lie down and rest without too many issues, as long as you've trained yourself to be able to do so. I have known a few heavy fighters who've had no issue with knocking back a couple of mugs of meadand streching out for a nap in full feild plate. This, IMHO, is best handled in game terms as a couple of PSL's to counteract armor penalties... cheap ones to show someone who has learned to sleep in his armor, more expensive and broader armor penalty PSL's that can apply to this as well as other penalties to represent the real veteran campaigner types.

In any case, I doubt any one is always going to sleep in their bloody armor.... out in the feild is one thing... back at an inn is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

This' date=' IMHO, is best handled in game terms as a couple of PSL's to counteract armor penalties... cheap ones to show someone who has learned to sleep in his armor, more expensive and broader armor penalty PSL's that can apply to this as well as other penalties to represent the real veteran campaigner types. [/quote']

We know that in real life, people did sleep in their armour - sometimes for extended periods, when they could never be certain of their safety. You can get used to sleeping in armour - hell, at one point I got used to sleeping sitting upright on a wooden chair. However, we also know that over time, the skin started to chafe, and then weep and then to rot off, people who continuously slept in their armour (or for that matter, just kept it on most of the time). Armour, by its very nature, is relatively heavy, tends not to breathe too well, nor is it very flexible*.

So in my game, I allow people to sleep in armour without significant penalties for short periods of time - but wearing it all the time, *will* have dire consequences.

cheers, Mark

*this actually applies to any heavy clothing, backpack straps, etc. We well-washed westerners tend to forget, but after trips where I have been sweating for a couple of weeks but unable to wash properly, I have always been surprised at 1) how dirty you can get, when you haven't actually had that much to do with actual dirt and B) how easily your skin comes away with rough handling. You can build up calluses, but to *keep* your calluses you have to allow the skin to dry out - otherwise they just rot off.

You can get used to sleeping in armour - hell' date=' at one point I got used to sleeping sitting upright on a wooden chair.[/quote']

I slept several times in my armor -- usually short naps, but it happened. As I wore a rigid back plate and a two-piece front plate, it helped keep my back straight as long as I sat upright, and as fairly okay. But I wouldn't want to do it for extended periods.

...Armour' date=' by its very nature, is relatively heavy, [b']tends not to breathe too well[/b], nor is it very flexible*.

(emphasis mine)

When you wear heavy armor for extended periods, you encase yourself in a dense envelope of your own odor. This can be a problem in a fantasy world when there are monsters about that have a keen sense of smell and enjoy the taste of your species. If you're wearing something that breathes, or remove your armor regularly, you air out a little and won't have as big of an olfactory target on you. There are more than esthetic reasons to bathe.

*holds up a finger*

Ah, for the sake of discussion, I'd like to point out that I have slept in a couple of different types of armor. Flexible armor really isn't that bad to sleep in... I've slept quite comfortably for 4 hours or so (a not uncommon sleep shift if taking watches)....

So you can sleep in like leather armor?

Ah ha! Gotta point that out to a few folx I know. ;)

Hm... People sleeping in leather. Leather teddies, perhaps? :eg:

So you can sleep in like leather armor?

Ah ha! Gotta point that out to a few folx I know. ;)

Hm... People sleeping in leather. Leather teddies, perhaps? :eg:

Well, cuirboulli is almost as rigid as plate, so many fantasy game style leather armors would take getting used to, but otherwise, yeah, I'd say leather is no worse than sleeping in heavy clothing.

Heck...

I LIKE sleeping in flexible leather