WWYCD: Vengeance From Duress

Marcus Impudite

Inspired by Hermit's WWYCD:The Nebula Affair...

Her claims about it's inescapability not withstanding, there's been a massive jailbreak from Nebula's Duress dimension. An army of villains, lead by the infamous quasi-demonic villain Devilfire, have ganged up on Nebula, captured her, and stripped her of the Duress gauntlets and her other gadgets. Your characters follow the swath of chaos and destruction the villains leave in their wake to the place where they're holding Nebula prisoner...and arguing over her fate. Some want to kill her immediately, some want to "have a little fun with her first." (what exactly they mean by that, I leave to your imagination and the general tone of your particular campaign world) Devilfire shouts over the others for order, then declares that they will decide who gets to do what to her and when in the most equitable manner possible: a lottery. DF produces a HUGE jar of marbles, most of which are clear and one of which is blood red. As you might have guessed, whoever gets the red marble gets first crack at Nebula, though they are asked to leave some for everyone else. WWYCD?

Re: WWYCD: Vengeance From Duress

This one, no question. There is no way that any of my heroes would let her be trashed out in any way by these jokers. The question, of course, is more how to get her out safely. ;) Most of them would make sure that her Duress Gauntlets were... 'accidentally'... destroyed in the melee.

Well... okay, there is one who'd probably react differently. Scarface'd still save her, but he'd either take the gauntlets for himself... or, quite possibly, simply put a bullet in all their skulls. From his perspective, Nebula's as much a murderer as any of them. He'd make sure they didn't torture her - she doesn't deserve that - but then he'd treat her the same way he treats any murderer.

Actually, Terminus would be in two minds about the situation. It would seem to him that Nebula brought this on herself. On the other hand, letting a bunch of demonic/villainous being have their way with her - that's not on.

He'd summon The Edge, and Primus, then put a railgun shell through the marble jar. "I'm taking Nebula into custody. Anybody want's to leave, go ahead. No one's going to try to stop you. But Nebula is coming with me."

Let the melee commence...

There's no question, my heroes would save her even though they're not terribly fond of her [and rarely shy about expressing it.] They may not be terribly gentle about it but they would save her. They would DEFINETLY make sure the Duress Gauntlets were destroyed in the process though.

An army of villains, lead by the infamous quasi-demonic villain Devilfire,

I'd imagine that most heroes would be calling for as much backup as they can find. At least unless they are worldbeater-class heroes who can conceivably take on an army of supervillains. :D

Soulbarb will try to arrange things so that the villains all start fighting amongst themselves, e.g. by pretending to be one of them and starting a fight (she is a demon in HID, after all, and a fair actress to boot,) or by using illusions to make it seem like one of the villains is insulting another (if she has begun to tap into her demonic magics.) Hopefully she can spirit Nebula and the Duress gauntlets away in the confusion. Also hopefully she can lead Nebula to believe the gauntlets have been destroyed, and sock them away where no-one is likely to find them, 'just in case.' (Yep, she's got that Batman contingency planning thing going.) Then she'll get a PRIMUS or UNTIL strike team to pick up the pieces once the villains are all done pasting each other.

Sylph isn't going to fool anyone into thinking she's a villainess, nor is she stealthy enough to avoid some sort of confrontation. She'd be going in talking, not swinging, though. Her protestations about the sanctity of life are probably going to fall on mostly deaf ears... but that wouldn't stop her from trying. Mainly her goal would be to delay the proceedings long enough for backup to arrive, probably in the form of an UNTIL strike team and whatever other heroes they were able to rally in time.

It's easy to answer that question as written. A bit tougher if the character in question is actually one of the escapees.

Okay...

Variant Senerio: Your character, after being sent to Duress by Nebula, choses to (temperary) join up with Devilfire and his crew because he had the most viable plan of escape. Free again at last, he/she watches as DF and the others hunt down and capture Nebula as per the original senerio above and --again, as above-- a lottery is held to decide what will be done with the overly officious Andromedian alien and who gets to do the honors. WWYCD?

Okay...

Variant Senerio: Your character, after being sent to Duress by Nebula, choses to (temperary) join up with Devilfire and his crew because he had the most viable plan of escape. Free again at last, he/she watches as DF and the others hunt down and capture Nebula as per the original senerio above and --again, as above-- a lottery is held to decide what will be done with the overly officious Andromedian alien and who gets to do the honors. WWYCD?

Inform the rest of the escapees that Nebula will pay for her crimes; we are on Earth and she will be tried, convicted and spend the rest of her life in an Earth prison. Then take her into custody until police, FBI, PRIMIS, or whoever shows up.

There are at least several other Earth Superheroes (and probably a number of human police) who tired to arrest Nebula who would be there, I expect most would back me.

If required, talk about the bad parts of the Earth penal system, to help convince everyone that Nebula will get her just deserts.

To any of the crowd that still insist on killing her (or other such revenge) I will point out that they are not wanted for any crimes on Earth, but if they kill Nebula they will be wanted for murder.

Talk fast, and use maximum force against the first to try and go for her, hoping to disuade the rest. basically, I'm playing for time; time for the other captured heroes to help me, and time for other Earth forces to arrive.