New to the Hero System & Have a Question

Capt.D

Re: New to the Hero System & Have a Question

More specifically, as far as the 5th edition of the games are concerned, all the rules are contained in HERO System (a.k.a. the big black book, a.k.a FIVER) and the information about running a superhero game is in the Champions book.

You do not need the Champions book to run a superhero game, but it helps. You DO need the HERO System book (or it's smaller cousin, Sidekick) to run -any- game.

Just making sure that you don't pick up the Champions book expecting it to contain the core rules needed for play.

Good catch, Funksaw, thank you for being a good web citizen. :) I'll have to owe you Rep for it, though. :(

And welcome to our community, Capt.D! I hope you'll visit us again. As you can see, we're a pretty friendly and helpful bunch. Any questions you have about HERO or Champions, feel free to post them here.

Good catch' date=' Funksaw, thank you for being a good web citizen. :) I'll have to owe you Rep for it, though. :([/quote']

Got him for you.

And as Lord Liaden said, welcome to HERO and welcome to the boards. Any question you have we have answers for (lots and lots of answers).

You might want to check here Capt D for some useful documents about the HERO System and the many things you can do with it:

http://www.herogames.com/FreeStuff/freedocs.htm

You should particularly check out the "Genre by Genre" document:

http://www.herogames.com/FreeStuff/freedocs/HSGBG%20Final.pdf

There are also several articles on my web site that you might find useful / informative here:

http://www.killershrike.com/GeneralHERO/HEROSystem.htm

WHAT’S IN A

NAME?

Hero Games refers to

using the HERO System

rules for comic book

superheroes games as

Champions because the

system itself, and the

company, got started in

this genre over twenty

years ago by publishing a

game with that name. To

many gamers, Champions

and the HERO System are

synonymous, though the

rules can do a lot more

than just create

superheroes and villains.

Even if a name like, say,

Super Hero would make

more sense descriptively

and thematically, so many

gamers know what

Champions is and means

that we can’t resist

keeping the name alive.

*sips his whiskey*

I don't know that we contradict as much as we have a weird habit of being so invested in the rules that any of us can come with varying solutions to different puzzles.

Howdy! :D I am the Lord Captain Thia Halmades. My line in this scene is to tell you that I came into the system stone cold new last September, joined the boards in November, haven't left since. I blame Steve's Mind Control powers, but I haven't collected sufficient evidence.

But, as LL says, we're inherently helpful. Liaden has a gabillion links which can get you started, and of course we have genre boards that you can go into any specific questions on.

So come on in, sit down, let us know what you need and we'll do what we can. Well, they will. I'm just typing during commercial breaks.

OMG' date=' the confusion is OPTIONAL!?!?!?![/quote']

I actually typed "mandatory" first, but then I sat back and thought about it . . . and realized that a few of us, like ghost-angel, aren't confused, so it would be impolite to say that we all had to be confused.

It's not so much that I'm not confused is that I'm self contradictory which allows me to hide in a swarm of left and other left giving the illusion that I really do have I s--t together and can walk a strait line.

Either that I have Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence and Reputation: Just That Damn Good.

It also helps that I have an Index of everything.

When I let you borrow the Index of Everything' date=' I didnt think you were going to permanently mooch it! Guess I should have looked that up in the Index beforehand :mad:[/quote']

oh ... erm .... yeah, I'm gonna return it just as soon as I'm done. Honest :eg:

First welcome to the boards :)

I am suprised no one mentioned Sidekick. The big book is way cool and eventually you do need it if you are to incorporate all the "Optional" rules, but for a new person I always recommend SideKick, it is the core rules in a lite version. All the basics without all the options. Then when you do get the big book, you can use your sidekick as a sort of players handbook for new players as they join your group.

And for a next investment after the 2 core books and the Champions genre book, I would recommend the Hero Designer software. For a pittance it really takes the sting out of creating complex characters and helps to keep character creation within the rules. Not to mention making the creation process much faster.