Traveller for Hero...

shadowcat1313

I have forwarded a pdf sample, which contains the introduction and table of contents to both Freelance Traveller, and Star Hero Fandom, Jeff at Freelance Traveller said it would be saturday or sunday before he can get it posted there, once its available for download, I will post a link here

things are moving forward and moving well

Re: Traveller for Hero...

Great news! Huzzah!

I was wondering if you might give me a hint about one aspect of traveller Hero. I've just started a TH campaign and the issue of the "hotshot pilot" talent came up. Star Hero defines it as applicable to ships 100 tons and less. Does TH allow for the talent bonuses to apply to larger ships?

The way I'm handling it now, I kept the const constant and just handwaived it to include ships up to 300 tons displacement, so as to include the most common small jump-capable ships (Type-S, free traders, private yachts, etc.).

Looks great so far; can't wait for the other 216 pages. :thumbup:

One thing I didn't see in the preview was a "What other books are needed to play" section. I would assume 5ER (or at least Sidekick?), but is Star Hero also required/recommended? Doesn't matter to me as I already have it; I'm just wondering.

you wont have to have Star Hero to play' date=' just 5ER or sidekick, and some version of Traveller, Star Hero could prove useful, but its not a necessity[/quote']

wait, so it is a book of conversion rules, not doing all the work for us? I was hoping it would be the traveller setting with the descriptions and all that but everything would just be written up in Hero terms when it got to the mechanics. now it sounds like a book of conversion notes that you need to buy the traveller books to be able to use. I mean, I could write up a bunch of conversion notes for Traveller rather easily, it would just be time-consuming for me to convert the system and I'd have to spend the money to buy the books. I would rather spend the money to buy a single book and have the entire conversion work done for me.

Someone on RPGnet raised the issue of what the new Traveller HERO would contain and what would be needed to use it for Traveller campaigns. If someone from the design team would like to address the original poster's questions, here's the thread: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=285587

as far as the conversions go, heres what you will find in the basic book

conversions of most of the standard PC ships, and small craft, along with at least a couple of vehicles, detailed conversion rules, a lot of which will be as modular as possible.

several converted characters from various sources, along with detailed conversion rules for skills and stats

for the Hero Designer users, there will be prefabs and templates avaiable also

either with the book, or downloadable

I have posted examples of several ships and a couple of characters already

if the page count in the TOC sample stays the same, were looking at a 230 page book

as far as the conversions go, heres what you will find in the basic book

conversions of most of the standard PC ships, and small craft, along with at least a couple of vehicles, detailed conversion rules, a lot of which will be as modular as possible.

several converted characters from various sources, along with detailed conversion rules for skills and stats

for the Hero Designer users, there will be prefabs and templates avaiable also

either with the book, or downloadable

I have posted examples of several ships and a couple of characters already

if the page count in the TOC sample stays the same, were looking at a 230 page book

ok, that sounds like the same book I've told my FLGS to be keeping an eye out for to set aside a copy for me. I look forward to it.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

We are working hard to try to make this as 'right' as possible. The new 1248 era (with the Fourth Imperium) will be the 'official setting' for Traveller Hero, but we are planning on releasing some of our older materials in Hero format for those that prefer the Golden Age of Traveller.

The last thing I want to do is to make any promises before they are ready to be delivered upon (broken promises make people mad, me included). However, we are nearing a point of final conversions (we have the text and artwork, and are nearing the time when Shadowcat will bring his Hero expertise to do conversions) of a book that will not only be of great use to Traveller fans, but for anyone that plays Star Hero (provided their game uses starships, and in particular if the game uses the military).

William

ComStar